Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California Considers Placing A Mileage Tax On Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Considers Placing A Mileage Tax On Drivers

Wow, what can they tax next?

Part of this argument is that electric vehicles don't pay gas taxes, so they have to find a way to collect from them, too.

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — California is moving closer to charging drivers for every mile they drive.

The state says it needs more money for road repairs, and the gas tax just isn’t bringing in enough revenue.

The state recently road-tested a mileage monitoring plan.

The California Road Charge Pilot Program is billed as a way for the state to move from its longstanding pump tax to a system where drivers pay based on their mileage.

But it’s not just a question about money, it’s also a question about fairness.

State Senator Scott Wiener and others are saying that when it comes to road taxes, it’s time to start looking at charging you by the mile rather than by the gallon.

“If you own an older vehicle that is fueled by gas, you’re paying gas tax to maintain the roads. Someone who has an electric vehicle or a dramatically more fuel efficient vehicle is paying much less than you are. But they are still using the roads,” Wiener said.

“People are going to use less and less gas in the long run,” according to Wiener.

And less gas means less gas tax, and less money for road repair.

“We want to make sure that all cars are paying to maintain the roads,” Wiener said.

Could well be that more of those people are going to use their miles to drive to Texas or other states that aren't so taxspensive.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

We need to instigate Road Neutrality laws! Otherwise the government will charge extra for the fast lanes and limit the speed on the slower lanes causing more traffic to build up!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      We need to instigate Road Neutrality laws! Otherwise the government will charge extra for the fast lanes and limit the speed on the slower lanes causing more traffic to build up!

Houston actually has some toll lanes that vary in cost relative to demand. I don't mind that so much, because it basically comes back to supply and demand. And, in those areas where the variable toll is in effect, you can choose NOT to enter those lanes, and stay on the more congested highway. Strictly left up to the driver.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Wow, what can they tax next?

Part of this argument is that electric vehicles don't pay gas taxes, so they have to find a way to collect from them, too.

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — California is moving closer to charging drivers for every mile they drive.

The state says it needs more money for road repairs, and the gas tax just isn’t bringing in enough revenue.

The state recently road-tested a mileage monitoring plan.

The California Road Charge Pilot Program is billed as a way for the state to move from its longstanding pump tax to a system where drivers pay based on their mileage.

But it’s not just a question about money, it’s also a question about fairness.

State Senator Scott Wiener and others are saying that when it comes to road taxes, it’s time to start looking at charging you by the mile rather than by the gallon.

“If you own an older vehicle that is fueled by gas, you’re paying gas tax to maintain the roads. Someone who has an electric vehicle or a dramatically more fuel efficient vehicle is paying much less than you are. But they are still using the roads,” Wiener said.

“People are going to use less and less gas in the long run,” according to Wiener.

And less gas means less gas tax, and less money for road repair.

“We want to make sure that all cars are paying to maintain the roads,” Wiener said.

Could well be that more of those people are going to use their miles to drive to Texas or other states that aren't so taxspensive.
        if they would stop using the tax money they ge from gas for other things they'd have enough but they keep putting ht gas taxes in with the general I hate living in california our leftist over seers are stupid.

Comment

Houston actually has some toll lanes that vary in cost relative to demand. I don't mind that so much, because it basically comes back to supply and demand. And, in those areas where the variable toll is in effect, you can choose NOT to enter those lanes, and stay on the more congested highway. Strictly left up to the driver.
          California will say we don't force people to pay per mile, we have free roads for those who don't want to pay:

warburtc.jpg

Comment

besides, California should have plenty of money since they legalized marijuana. They also have Hollywood. and Silicon Valley.

heck Tennessee doesn't even have a state income tax at all because of Nashville's music industry. California should be rolling in the dough just from Hollywood

Comment

We have Road User Charges here for diesel vehicles and I'm fairly sure they will roll them out to electric vehicles once they become common enough.

Diesel doesn't have the taxes on it that petrol has. This is so that fuel costs for tractors (and other vehicles that typically won't use the roads) have their costs lowered as they aren't paying for road maintenance.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/li...-user-charges/

It makes sense for it to be extended to electric vehicles (once enough of them are on the road) as they will need to pay their share of the cost for road building and maintenance.
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                We have Road User Charges here for diesel vehicles and I'm fairly sure they will roll them out to electric vehicles once they become common enough.

Diesel doesn't have the taxes on it that petrol has. This is so that fuel costs for tractors (and other vehicles that typically won't use the roads) have their costs lowered as they aren't paying for road maintenance.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/li...-user-charges/

It makes sense for it to be extended to electric vehicles (once enough of them are on the road) as they will need to pay their share of the cost for road building and maintenance.
                I think, in the US, this would disproportionately affect the poor. In my experience, the poor have the least maintained and fuel efficient vehicles, so a "per mile" tax would hit their wallets the hardest.

Comment

I think, in the US, this would disproportionately affect the poor. In my experience, the poor have the least maintained and fuel efficient vehicles, so a "per mile" tax would hit their wallets the hardest.
                  Surely its the opposite. A RUC would impact a gas guzzler less than the tax being on fuel (as the gas guzzler uses more litres per km while the RUC is a fixed per km charge).
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    Surely its the opposite. A RUC would impact a gas guzzler less than the tax being on fuel (as the gas guzzler uses more litres per km while the RUC is a fixed per km charge).
                    But somebody who can afford the big gas guzzler probably has the finances to pay the taxes, as opposed to the poor guy who drives the old clunker. That's why I emphasized "the wallet". But I see what you're saying -- the "poor guy" is already paying the taxes on fuel...... It all depends, of course, on what the tax per mile would be.

Comment

They will probably start taxing breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        I can't remember where I saw/read a story about a futuristic society that taxed vision giving a break to those who lost an eye leading to many folks putting out one of their eyes in order to at least partially escape the odious tax.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          Mr Krabs is in charge of taxes! That explains so much.
                          sigpic

Comment

Anyone believe that this will be a "move from its longstanding pump tax" rather than an additional tax. I expect the pump tax system will remain in place with a new mileage tax added.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Yeah, DC has started doing that. The toll lanes they just installed on I-66 can get above $30/trip!
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment