Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

So, the kids are getting older...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, the kids are getting older...

I was a former frequent poster, but have had different interests and priorities arise. I am an atheist, happily married (now 14yrs) to a Christian. We have three children (9, 5, and 2ish). I am frequently asked by 9 and 5 about why I do not believe. I find this a difficult question to answer without an extrordinary amount of detail. I keep whittling down my answer trying to get it in a ballpark they can understand. By time I think I have the right balance, the explanation is so diluted that I find it unsatisfactory. I am sure some believers could argue the same and be right in their explanatory abilities and similar frustrations (but wrong in their conclusions 😎).

My main reasons for atheism reside in molecular biology, chemistry, and evolution.

Other reasons abound in History and the evolution of religions (especially Judaism).

What are the topics you find the most difficult to explain about religious or non-religious beliefs to your children? Being an atheist, I think I have a steeper hill to climb in explanatory requirements and a theist has a built-in backdoor with hyperactive agency detection; as any parent, who has to reassure their children that its perfectly okay to go upstairs and the noise they heard is just the furnace, can attest. Do any theists here believe the table is actually tilted in an atheists favor and that it is harder for the theist?

not surprised, it takes years to convince a kid who can see that he's actually blind
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by showmeproof View Post

My main reasons for atheism reside in molecular biology, chemistry, and evolution.
      I profoundly disagree with you that science somehow supports atheism.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I profoundly disagree with you that science somehow supports atheism.
        same here. To me all that shows that it could not have been an accident. All this order and complexity down to the subatomic level just happened? From nothing? It takes more faith to believe that then to believe in God.

Comment

It's all about Jesus. Him crucified, buried and risen again, after living a sinless life.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Other reasons abound in History and the evolution of religions (especially Judaism).
            I personally find the History of Religions school to be a rather implausible hypothesis for how religion developed.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That was piffy, congrats. In all seriousness though, it is akin to teaching that we have additional tools that allow us to see, other than our eyes, and that for many intents and purposes we were blind.

Comment

That was piffy, congrats. In all seriousness though, it is akin to teaching that we have additional tools that allow us to see, other than our eyes, and that for many intents and purposes we were blind.
                Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thats is fine, but the sky hook is much more implausible. To the OP, what do you find difficult to explain to children about your religious beliefs?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.
                    that saved a normally functioning primate like me.

Comment

Tell your kids to read The Case for Christ.

Or, better yet, read it to them.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Tell your kids to read The Case for Christ.
                        Or, better yet, read it to them.
                        No thanks. Again, to the OP, what do you find hard to teach your kids about your religious beliefs.

Comment

No thanks. Again, to the OP, what do you find hard to teach your kids about your religious beliefs.

Why not read it? Maybe you can learn something from an atheist who set about disproving the resurrection.

I didn't find it hard to teach my kids about my faith. It was just how we live, every day.

Then they made their own choice to follow Christ.

If you can't figure out what to tell your children about why you don't believe, then maybe you need to think harder about why you don't believe.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            It's all about Jesus. Him crucified, buried and risen again, after living a sinless life.
                            I am not asking what Christianity is about...got that part down, thanks. However, if you mean to state that this is a hard sell, i would agree.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              Why not read it? Maybe you can learn something from an atheist who set about disproving the resurrection.
                              I have read it. If you think Strobel was trying to disprove the resurrection, I have to wonder whether you have read it.

Comment