Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So, the kids are getting older...

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Tell your kids to read The Case for Christ.

Or, better yet, read it to them.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Tell your kids to read The Case for Christ.
    Or, better yet, read it to them.
    No thanks. Again, to the OP, what do you find hard to teach your kids about your religious beliefs.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by showmeproof View Post
    No thanks. Again, to the OP, what do you find hard to teach your kids about your religious beliefs.

Why not read it? Maybe you can learn something from an atheist who set about disproving the resurrection.

I didn't find it hard to teach my kids about my faith. It was just how we live, every day.

Then they made their own choice to follow Christ.

If you can't figure out what to tell your children about why you don't believe, then maybe you need to think harder about why you don't believe.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It's all about Jesus. Him crucified, buried and risen again, after living a sinless life.
    I am not asking what Christianity is about...got that part down, thanks. However, if you mean to state that this is a hard sell, i would agree.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why not read it? Maybe you can learn something from an atheist who set about disproving the resurrection.
    I have read it. If you think Strobel was trying to disprove the resurrection, I have to wonder whether you have read it.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My main reasons for atheism reside in molecular biology, chemistry, and evolution.
    That might explain why you're having a problem talking with your kids. There are no reasons for atheism in those disciplines.

I became a believer when I was 12. A few years later, I started looking for reasons to continue believing. In my mid-20s, I realized that there did not seem to be any good reasons, and so I stopped believing.

The absence of a good reason to believe in God is the only reason anyone needs to be an atheist.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shaver View Post
    I have read it. If you think Strobel was trying to disprove the resurrection, I have to wonder whether you have read it.

He started out as an atheist and his wife became a believer. He set out, investigative reporter that he was, to disprove the resurrection.

But he couldn't do it. The evidence for it was too conclusive.

Perhaps you should be asking your fellow unbelievers how they raise their kids to be little atheists.

I'm more interested in what your wife says to them.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am not asking what Christianity is about...got that part down, thanks.
    Meh - I'm not so sure.

However, if you mean to state that this is a hard sell, i would agree.
    Sure is a lot of assumin' goin' on out there!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Taoist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He started out as an atheist and his wife became a believer. He set out, investigative reporter that he was, to disprove the resurrection.
    The evidence says otherwise, that Strobel set out to sell a book targeting the Christian market. Calling oneself an ex-anti-whatever is a marketing ploy. "The Case for ..." books are deliberately patterned after the pretense that Strobel is a lawyer, which is similarly untrue.

The Case for Christ contains no notable contrarian voices, as would be expected in an attempt to disprove a Christian doctrine. Instead, it focuses exclusively on an admittedly reasonable range of contemporary Christian apologists, from Blomberg to Metzger. It's better than Josh McDowell, if you squint a bit, but not by much, and by no means as good as reading Blomberg or Metzger directly. While it may have some utility as a defense of the Christian faith, it's essentially useless as an evangelical tool.

Not recommended.

But none of this is responsive to the OP, which instead asked a pair of questions.

What are the topics you find the most difficult to explain about religious or non-religious beliefs to your children?

Do any theists here believe the table is actually tilted in an atheists favor and that it is harder for the theist?

I don't have kids and I'm not a theist, but I'd venture to say the tables, which have historically been heavily tilted toward supernatural belief, have more recently been moving in the other direction, making it less difficult to openly subscribe to atheism.

Then again, the increase in quantity of atheists, especially among the youngsters, has had an adverse effect on quality. The old IIDB was chock-a-block with PhDs and other advanced degrees. Today's young atheists spend their time commenting on youtube.
    There is no lao tzu

10. Amen Scrawly, Roy amen'd this post.
    radical strawberry
    Faith
    Taoist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My main reasons for atheism reside in molecular biology, chemistry, and evolution.

Other reasons abound in History and the evolution of religions (especially Judaism).
    Good to see you posting again, SMP. Have you kept up your readings on ancient Israelite religion? Those were good threads.
    There is no lao tzu