Porch Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porch Pirates

A friend of mine had some packages stolen from his front porch. He, like me, lives "in the country", and it's fairly easy to drive by, jump out, grab the package from his porch, and zoom off unnoticed.

Until we installed a camera system like mine. Another package, subsequently, still got stolen, but at least we had video not only of the offender, but the car he drove.

Don wasn't happy with that, though, and he had another friend rig up a really loud burglar alarm siren to a fake Amazon package that contained a motion sensor.

Sure enough, about 3 AM yesterday morning, the siren went off, Don jumped out of bed, ran to the front door, tripping over his dog, bashing his head against the wall and breaking his left wrist.

But the package was still there, and the video showed the would-be thief -- a tomcat that was pawing and licking the package.

I'm doing my best to have him post it on youtube or facebook.

(no, the tomcat was not the same offender mentioned above who drove the car - that person will be arrested this weekend)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I saw a Youtube video once. It had to be staged, because the odds of lying in wait and catching somebody in the act are so small. But a box with a harmlessly small amount of explosive material, or maybe it was a container of liquid, was set to go off by remote control. The video showed somebody stealing the box, getting into a car, taking off, getting about a hundred feet away. You could hear the voices of the perpetrators of the hoax arguing about when to set off the explosive before the culprit got too far. Finally they set it off. The thief stopped his car and got out to clean himself off.

Funny, but again, what are the odds? How many days would you have to wait for the opportunity?
    When I Survey....

Comment

See? The harshest reality is nature itself.

Funny

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        I saw a Youtube video once. It had to be staged, because the odds of lying in wait and catching somebody in the act are so small. But a box with a harmlessly small amount of explosive material, or maybe it was a container of liquid, was set to go off by remote control. The video showed somebody stealing the box, getting into a car, taking off, getting about a hundred feet away. You could hear the voices of the perpetrators of the hoax arguing about when to set off the explosive before the culprit got too far. Finally they set it off. The thief stopped his car and got out to clean himself off.

Funny, but again, what are the odds? How many days would you have to wait for the opportunity?
        That's what prompted me to do my post. The morning news (ABC, I think) had a couple of videos of people trying to pull booby trapped packages off porches.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Last winter the people across the street were apparently away for weeks. Nobody knows them; they don't answer their door (we took plums from our tree over the year they moved in). I think they are Amway distributors or some such as there are always packages sitting in front of their door.

This time there were about 5 boxes stacked up for 3 weeks. I checked every morning when I got up to see if they were still there. I even called the local RCMP to ask what, if anything could be done. Was concerned that if a crook noticed the boxes there day after day there could be a breakin. We don't know their name, and when we google the address we get the name of the previous owners. So the police had no advice to give me.

Nobody took those boxes. One morning I saw their car in the driveway and later that day, yes, I said later that day, the boxes disappeared.

Don't know if that speaks about the town I live in, or what. I think they are very foolish.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Last winter the people across the street were apparently away for weeks. Nobody knows them; they don't answer their door (we took plums from our tree over the year they moved in). I think they are Amway distributors or some such as there are always packages sitting in front of their door.

This time there were about 5 boxes stacked up for 3 weeks. I checked every morning when I got up to see if they were still there. I even called the local RCMP to ask what, if anything could be done. Was concerned that if a crook noticed the boxes there day after day there could be a breakin. We don't know their name, and when we google the address we get the name of the previous owners. So the police had no advice to give me.

Nobody took those boxes. One morning I saw their car in the driveway and later that day, yes, I said later that day, the boxes disappeared.

Don't know if that speaks about the town I live in, or what. I think they are very foolish.
            I dunno. You'd think Amway distributors would be eager to develop relationships with potential buyers.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

hqdefault.jpg

I didn't know they let foolish people into Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I dunno. You'd think Amway distributors would be eager to develop relationships with potential buyers.
                And, sell those products they bought!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  That's what prompted me to do my post. The morning news (ABC, I think) had a couple of videos of people trying to pull booby trapped packages off porches.

Yeah I saw those commercials about Ring video doorbells, but it seems that the thieves would just steal the doorbell camera. They are just mounted with screws. Easy enough to smash or take.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Yeah I saw those commercials about Ring video doorbells, but it seems that the thieves would just steal the doorbell camera. They are just mounted with screws. Easy enough to smash or take.
                    Mine actually records to the cloud, so I'd be able to show the video to the police. Unless they destroyed it, it would continue to record til they got out of wifi range.

Comment

Mine actually records to the cloud, so I'd be able to show the video to the police. Unless they destroyed it, it would continue to record til they got out of wifi range.
                      They could just wear a mask.

Comment

They could just wear a mask.
                        They certainly could, but that would make them look pretty suspicious - in a number of these, the people try to act like ordinary people - or even as postal workers - I assume so as not to attract undue attention.

But, yeah, even with a mask, there are often clues as to who the person is. We had a local cop who robbed the bank he guarded as a second job - he was wearing a mask and oversized clothing, but an employee recognized his limp.

Comment

They certainly could, but that would make them look pretty suspicious - in a number of these, the people try to act like ordinary people - or even as postal workers - I assume so as not to attract undue attention.

But, yeah, even with a mask, there are often clues as to who the person is. We had a local cop who robbed the bank he guarded as a second job - he was wearing a mask and oversized clothing, but an employee recognized his limp.
                          You should build a trap door into the porch and when they pick up the package they are dropped into a cage. that plays 24 hours of Christmas carols.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Well, that was just a rumour I heard. There are people coming and going there all the time..........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

You should build a trap door into the porch and when they pick up the package they are dropped into a cage. that plays 24 hours of Christmas carols.
                              ...sung by Rosanne Barr.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment