Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why a family meal is so important:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a family meal is so important:

Children are healthier mentally and physically if they eat dinner with their parents and siblings

OK, it's the Daily Mail, and the research is done by Canadians. Still, a good read.

I always enjoy the interaction at the "Sunday Dinners" on Blue Bloods.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Kids need:

1. Someone’s food to steal from when they decide they don’t want what they have even when it’s the same exact thing everyone else has.
    2. To not eat what they begged and begged to eat just minutes before.
    3. An audience to the above antics.

It’s science, so it’s true.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Pfft. What do Canadians know, anyway!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I liked having family meals growing up (and still do when I'm back home), but what does this have to do with civics?
        Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

We always had family meals in my house as I was growing up, and I'm carrying the tradition on with my own family. We also have a fairly strict "no electronics or other distractions allowed during meals" policy to encourage more interaction.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-15-2017, 08:00 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            We always had family meals in my house as I was growing up, and I'm carrying the tradition on with my own family. We also have a fairly strict "no electronics or other distractions allowed during meals" policy to encourage more interaction.
            Yup, we have a "no technology at the table" rule.

Occasionally one of my grandkids will try to sneak a peek at their iphone on their lap, but one of the other kids will quickly call them out --- we kinda laugh, and that person is shamed into putting their e-device away.

Yes, I said "shamed".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Children are healthier mentally and physically if they eat dinner with their parents and siblings

OK, it's the Daily Mail, and the research is done by Canadians. Still, a good read.

I always enjoy the interaction at the "Sunday Dinners" on Blue Bloods.
              If the family are not particularly healthy, sitting together at the same table may only cause problems to worsen.
              For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                If the family are not particularly healthy, sitting together at the same table may only cause problems to worsen.
                I'm beginning to think you're a pessimist, Remon!

Comment

I'm beginning to think you're a pessimist, Remon!
                  Perhaps somewhere between optimism and pessimism lies realism. No human being sees with sheer objectivity; everyone has their perceptions coloured (or tainted) to one degree or another.
                  For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Yup, we have a "no technology at the table" rule.

Occasionally one of my grandkids will try to sneak a peek at their iphone on their lap, but one of the other kids will quickly call them out --- we kinda laugh, and that person is shamed into putting their e-device away.

Yes, I said "shamed".
                    This is how the Spanish Inquisition got started!!! First a laugh, then a shaming, pretty soon it is the rack and the comfy chair!

Comment