Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Net Neutrality repealed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net Neutrality repealed.

https://www.reddit.com/live/103wk34e8cnvd

Republicans voted aye, Democrats voted nay.

Doesn't go into effect for a year. Still a chance to repeal in 2018. Congress can stop it too.

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/live/103wk34e8cnvd

Republicans voted aye, Democrats voted nay.

Doesn't go into effect for a year. Still a chance to repeal in 2018. Congress can stop it too.
    I don't know a lot about this, but I do know the the internet grew like gangbusters without it. The liberals just have to get their hands on everything...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I don't know a lot about this, but I do know the the internet grew like gangbusters without it. The liberals just have to get their hands on everything...
      No. The internet grew like gangbusters with net neutrality. We've had a more or less open and equal access internet up to this point. This happens to be the conservatives getting their hands on things.
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        No. The internet grew like gangbusters with net neutrality. We've had a more or less open and equal access internet up to this point. This happens to be the conservatives getting their hands on things.
        What are you talking about? There was no net neutrality law or regulation until 2015. And in all those previous years the net was growing like the dickens...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

There was no net neutrality law or regulation until 2015.
          True, but there was net neutrality. All ip packets were treated as equal. You didn't have to pay extra to Verizon to watch Netflix, or have Google downgraded because Verizon scored a special deal with Microsoft etc...

Companies want to repeal Net Neutrality. So you have to ask yourself what he bottom line is. How is this going to make them more money?

You see with other services. You have a choice. There's competition. With ISP's because of historical circumstances you have almost no choice. Competition only works when there's competitors. Otherwise we need laws to prevent companies from abusing their situation.

The free market economic benefits don't work when there are monopolies in place. That's why we have rules in place that try to prevent monopolies from occuring in the first place.
          Last edited by Leonhard; 12-14-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

What are you talking about? There was no net neutrality law or regulation until 2015. And in all those previous years the net was growing like the dickens...
            Yeah there was. There was defacto net neutrality. The regulation was passed after the FCC under Obama prevented ISPs from changing how people are charged to access the internet.
            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
            Save me, save me"

Comment

True, but there was net neutrality. All ip packets were treated as equal. You didn't have to pay extra to Verizon to watch Netflix, or have Google downgraded because Verizon scored a special deal with Microsoft etc...

Companies want to repeal Net Neutrality. So you have to ask yourself what he bottom line is. How is this going to make them more money?

You see unlike other services. You have a choice. There's competition. With ISP's because of historical circumstances you have almost no choice. Competition only works when there's competitors. Otherwise we need laws to prevent companies from abusing their situation.
              Well there must be downsides too. The fact is when leftists and governments want to get a hold of something, like the net, I have a kneejerk reaction against it.

Comment

Well there must be downsides too. The fact is when leftists and governments want to get a hold of something, like the net, I have a kneejerk reaction against it.
                Understandable, we tend to be biased this way as people. However in this case, I've yet to see a Republican explain what would be good about this repeal. To say we didn't have net neutrality from 1997 to 2015 is disengenious. We did. It just wasn't protected by law. That was changing, so we got this law to protect it. So if they were going to go on as usual... why remove the law protecting it.

The answer is that they're not. They want to start making deals, closing down access to certain websites, offering more speed on others, etc... etc...

Hopefully it'll get shut down. It still has to pass congress and the court. Good chance that checks and balances will prevent this from being real.

Imagine if your ISP decided you couldn't use Google, or go to religious websites, and you had no other ISP to use?

Comment

no pretty much in this instance they are right. Net Neutrality was good. It said that ISPs cannot charge different rates for different traffic. ISPs were getting started doing that when they passed NN a few years ago to stop them. Without it they can make you pay more for video streams than web site streams, or slow down netflix if they want to promote Hulu if Hulu is paying them to. Net Neutrality said that the ISP had to treat all traffic equally. They could charge a set fee for access but not control the access or charge more for specific access.

This is the FCC, not really a republican v democrat thing. The FCC is a bunch of morons that doesn't even understand the very technology they are in charge of regulating.

Comment

That's what has always confused me about this whole net neutrality issue. Seems like the internet was doing just fine, and then along came Obama with a solution in search of a problem, and suddenly "net neutrality" was born, and I've been trying to figure out the catch. Will net neutrality make the internet "neutral" the same way the affordable care act made healthcare "affordable", as in not at all affordable?

Anyway, it sounds like the Net Neutrality act introduced a lot of unnecessary regulations and expenses which this new acts repeals and essentially restores things to how they used to be by enforcing already existing laws against monopolies and anti-competitive practices.

Source: Breitbart

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) passed the FCC’s “Restoring Internet Freedom Order” on Thursday, which will repeal the agency’s 2015 net neutrality regulation.

Chairman Pai told Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Monday, “I think what net neutrality repealed would actually mean is we once again have a free and open Internet. The government would not be regulating how anyone in the Internet service providers, how anyone else in the internet economy manages their networks.”

The FCC’s Restoring Internet Freedom order will reclassify the Internet as an “information service” compared to the FCC’s 2015 net neutrality order, which regulated the Internet as a public monopoly. The order will also require Internet service providers (ISPs) such as Comcast or Verizon to release transparency reports detailing their practices towards consumers and businesses.

The FCC’s net neutrality repeal order will also restore the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) traditional authority and expertise to regulate and litigate unfair, deceptive, and anti-competitive telecommunications practices without onerous regulations and increased cost.

On Monday the FCC and the FTC agreed to share the responsibility to police unfair ISP practices regarding unfair or deceptive practices to block, throttle, or promote web content.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...utrality-rule/

© Copyright Original Source

The article mentions how net neutrality has ironically allowed companies like Facebook and Twitter to legally censor certain points of view in the name of "neutrality".
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You see with other services. You have a choice. There's competition. With ISP's because of historical circumstances you have almost no choice. Competition only works when there's competitors. Otherwise we need laws to prevent companies from abusing their situation.

The free market economic benefits don't work when there are monopolies in place. That's why we have rules in place that try to prevent monopolies from occuring in the first place.
                      media/web companies are also borderline monopolies and unlike cable companies they have a long and sordid history of gross discrimination. nobody on the right should support them over cable companies.

Although I would prefer they all be forced to abide by the first amendment
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

What I'm left confused about is why the 5-person FCC is apparently the final arbiter of this. Seems like this should be something for the full congress to decide.

Comment