Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Net Neutrality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    The key will be ensuring that existing anti-trust and anti anti-competition laws are enforced, preventing these providers from degrading the service of any given provider in favor of their own or their bottom line.
    Exactly. I'm concerned that they won't be.
    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
      Exactly. I'm concerned that they won't be.
      A fair concern. But if this is true - why were you sure that FCC rules WERE going to be enforced?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Exactly. Obama's "net neutrality" initiative didn't add anything meaningful to the way things are done, and repealing it doesn't actually take anything away other than government bloat and unnecessary expenses.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Exactly. Obama's "net neutrality" initiative didn't add anything meaningful to the way things are done, and repealing it doesn't actually take anything away other than government bloat and unnecessary expenses.
          Can I ask a favor? Could you not agree with me so much? It's making me itch...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The problem is not that we agree, the problem is that you're actually right about something which I imagine is a novel experience for you.

Comment

The problem is not that we agree, the problem is that you're actually right about something which I imagine is a novel experience for you.

Comment

And now it looks like our agreement killed the thread.

Comment

And now it looks like our agreement killed the thread.
                  Such is life...

Comment

Less pr0n consumption due to throttled internet speeds and data caps will be one good thing to come from this.

Comment

from what I understand there has never been anything to stop the ISPs from prioritizing packets by type (VOIP/Video vs casual browsing) just from prioritizing by actual service (Netflix, Hulu, etc) and charging those companies for access. The ISPs can still give video a high speed lane, but not differentiate and charge more for Netflix or such. Net neutrality kept the ISPs from gouging their customers or the various services for extra money for specific sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        from what I understand there has never been anything to stop the ISPs from prioritizing packets by type (VOIP/Video vs casual browsing) just from prioritizing by actual service (Netflix, Hulu, etc) and charging those companies for access. The ISPs can still give video a high speed lane, but not differentiate and charge more for Netflix or such. Net neutrality kept the ISPs from gouging their customers or the various services for extra money for specific sites.
                        Actually - under the former net neutrality rules, the ISPs are permitted to prioritize packets when they are used to support different services (e.g., the carrier's voice services and Internet services often run over the same "pipe" at the edge of their network, and the latter can be prioritized). However, within the stream of traffic that is defined as Internet-specific (i.e., can cross peering links into other ISP networks), differentiation by protocol, application, or end-point is not permitted. The only exception is the management traffic required to keep the network operational, which can be prioritized.

Wikipedia is not usually a primary source - but it has a good article on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_ne...ted_principles

Comment

OK so I am curious.

Everyone was predicting that all of the ISPs would go insane with power after Net Neutrality ended. Are there any reports of people being charged differently or services being throttled. Or is it too early to tell?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            OK so I am curious.

Everyone was predicting that all of the ISPs would go insane with power after Net Neutrality ended. Are there any reports of people being charged differently or services being throttled. Or is it too early to tell?
                            Too early to tell. Litigation has just started, and I suspect most ISPs would probably be loathe to start changing prices before all that dust settles, for fear of giving the litigators ammunition for their argument.

Comment