Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Has Support for Moore Stained Evangelicals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    And CP, it should go without saying that I prefer we avoid disparaging other posters in my threads. If you disagree with JimL, please correct him, or ignore him.
    Yes, Mom.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      It's sad that a surface glance is sufficient to stain anyone. Moore was damned in the court of public opinion, and anyone who supported him was tarred with the same brush. This despite the fact that Moore was not formally charged with anything, and that almost nobody supported him because he had allegedly done what he had been alleged to have done.
      The original WaPo story made clear the statute of limitations meant no charges, or civil suits, could proceed from the reporting. The only charge that could have been brought earlier was a misdemeanor. More, it was clear that only one of the original group of young women was accusing him of a crime, and that many if not most dated him with the express approval of a parent, and still appreciated his interest these many years later.

I'm still of two minds on the more serious charges brought up later by the woman represented by Gloria Allred. She's admitted to editing the yearbook entry to memorialize the entry, she says, but if the editing was innocent, it should have been made clear at the outset, and a competent lawyer should have advised her to do so. Were it not for the support shown for her charges by another of the original women, who expressed appreciation for his company, I'd probably dismiss them entirely.

Moore's comprehensive denials were unbelievable. He claims he didn't know a woman who had memorialized dating him in her diaries. Still, after hearing how one of your precious memories was being denied, there's some chance a woman might wish to strike back, perhaps unfairly, out of nothing more malicious than hurt feelings.

I understand people behave differently with different company, still, I don't recognize the man who would grab her head and drag it toward his genitals as the same man who agreed to bring Ms. Corfman home when asked.

I dunno.

I do know there's no place in the senate for a man who feels free to ignore the supreme court. Separation of powers begins with the most basic separation: You don't go to war against another co-equal branch of government.

That said, Christians hitching themselves to deeply flawed characters in hopes that they will enact parts of a Christian agenda are pretty much doomed to failure. We are in an effectively post-Christian culture, and the culture war has been lost for decades. See, e.g., Rod Dreher's The Benedict Option.
      That's a bit too much investment for me for this thread, but I might check it out later.

I'm not intending to trivialize or disrespect Christian positions and beliefs by analogy to commercial branding, but the math works on either equally. Success can be measured as the product of share of mind and approval rate. They've succeeded in capturing share of mind.

If I were acting as a consultant, I'd be telling them to promote their success stories, because of what's implied by what you're saying: Christians, and evangelicals in particular, in promoting themselves as the losers in the cultural war, are driving down their approval numbers.

I'm not speaking here of the glam promotions by the Osteens and less toothy prosperity preachers, I'm thinking of portraits of ordinary people, not just happy with their lives, but made happy with their lives by following their faith.

Comment