Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Philadelphia Liberals push to force storeowners to remove bulletproof glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philadelphia Liberals push to force storeowners to remove bulletproof glass

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/14...orefronts.html

The Philadelphia City Council voted Thursday to remove bulletproof glass from the windows of some local businesses, despite a backlash from shop owners who cited safety concerns.
    The argument is, well...

Councilwoman Cindy Bass, who originally sponsored the bill, said the stores — many of which are delis — are “masquerading as restaurants.”

“They sell almost everything you need to get high, and if they don’t have it, someone loitering inside or outside, has the rest,” Bass said.
    If that sounds incoherent to you (what does bulletproof glass have to do with it), it's because their actual goals are probably to deliver more souls to Moloch and Slaanesh. As the article notes, no bulletproof glass encourages store owners to arm themselves instead. This is good for liberals satanists: more dead Yoof Who Dindu Nuffin = more black discontent = more votes for Demonrats
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Something is weird here.

A) There's really no such thing as "bulletproof glass" - it's bullet resistant (yeah, a technicality, and really beside the point - it's commonly, if erroneously, referred to as bulletproof)
    2) They keep referring to plexiglass - that's neither bulletproof nor bullet resistant
    c) They use those terms interchangeably

I'm trying to find the text of the actual bill, but each hyperlink just goes to another editorial.

It appears that part of the text is as follows:

“No establishment required to obtain a Large Establishment license … shall erect or maintain a physical barrier that requires the persons serving the food either to open a window or other aperture or to pass the food through a window or other aperture, in order to hand the food to a customer inside the establishment,”

No mention there of bulletproof or bullet resistant glass - and doesn't appear to reference the glass in the storefront wall.

Pennsylvania State Law seems to require that a "Large Establishment license" owner is required to provide seating for at least 30 customers.

The discussion often refers to "beer delis", and seems to suggest that these glass partitions are essentially to protect drug dealers.

How bout we find the actual bill?

Not weighing in either for or against, just trying to cut through the drama and look at the facts.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      it's because their actual goals are probably to deliver more souls to ... Slaanesh.
      Are these some of those inner city Games Workshop stores? They're writing that dude out of the cannon. Might better go with Khorne.

fwiw,
      guacamole
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

The more I look at this, I think even the 'headline" on Fox News is misleading...

"Philadelphia City Council approves bill to remove bulletproof glass from storefronts"

It doesn't appear this is about the "storefront" glass at all. Still looking for the actual bill, but it seems this refers to glass through which they pass food (either by opening a window or through a hole or slot) to customers inside the establishment.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK, I think I found the bill.

ETA:

And this looks like the applicable text:

(g) Customer access. By no later than January 1, 2021, the Department of
          Licenses and Inspections shall promulgate regulations to provide for the use or removal
          of any physical barrier that requires the persons serving the food in any establishment
          required to obtain a Large Establishment license, as provided in subsection (4)(a)(.1),
          either to open a window or other aperture or to pass the food through a window or other
          aperture, in order to hand the food to a customer inside the establishment.
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-15-2017, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            OK, I think I found the bill.

ETA:

And this looks like the applicable text:

(g) Customer access. By no later than January 1, 2021, the Department of
            Licenses and Inspections shall promulgate regulations to provide for the use or removal
            of any physical barrier that requires the persons serving the food in any establishment
            required to obtain a Large Establishment license, as provided in subsection (4)(a)(.1),
            either to open a window or other aperture or to pass the food through a window or other
            aperture, in order to hand the food to a customer inside the establishment.
            Like when you get gas or something from a sketchy neighborhood and you have to pay in the little box. They're doing this with food.

I don't see how this would do anything other than what Darth said above--force store owners to arm themselves to protect themselves from robberies. They should probably stop selling drug paraphernalia however.
            Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              Like when you get gas or something from a sketchy neighborhood and you have to pay in the little box. They're doing this with food.
              This refers to "a customer inside the establishment", so it's not talking about a "storefront window" as indicated by the Fox News headline.

I don't see how this would do anything other than what Darth said above--force store owners to arm themselves to protect themselves from robberies.
              You know that these particular businesses are not already manned by persons arming themselves?

They should probably stop selling drug paraphernalia however.
              If they're doing that, they should be arrested and prosecuted.

Comment

This refers to "a customer inside the establishment", so it's not talking about a "storefront window" as indicated by the Fox News headline.
                Right.

You know that these particular businesses are not already manned by persons arming themselves?
                Oh, I imagine you're right. They have to leave some time.

If they're doing that, they should be arrested and prosecuted.
                Sometimes they legally sell dual use stuff:

The title here is lurid, and the ads on the site are sometimes inappropriate, so be warned:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-secret...-gas-stations/

fwiw,
                guacamole
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Right.

Oh, I imagine you're right. They have to leave some time.

Sometimes they legally sell dual use stuff:

The title here is lurid, and the ads on the site are sometimes inappropriate, so be warned:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-secret...-gas-stations/

fwiw,
                  guacamole
                  None of this addresses the point that this is NOT talking about "storefront glass" as is implied both by Fox News headline,

Philadelphia City Council approves bill to remove bulletproof glass from storefronts

and the picture they use to hype it.

storefront.jpg

That's not showing the internal partition through which food is served to customers inside the building.

Comment

Listen, you obstreperous old fart, I'm not disagreeing with you.
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

Listen, you obstreperous old fart, I'm not disagreeing with you.
                      I love you, too.

Comment

Something is weird here.

A) There's really no such thing as "bulletproof glass" - it's bullet resistant (yeah, a technicality, and really beside the point - it's commonly, if erroneously, referred to as bulletproof)
                        2) They keep referring to plexiglass - that's neither bulletproof nor bullet resistant
                        c) They use those terms interchangeably

I'm trying to find the text of the actual bill, but each hyperlink just goes to another editorial.

It appears that part of the text is as follows:

“No establishment required to obtain a Large Establishment license … shall erect or maintain a physical barrier that requires the persons serving the food either to open a window or other aperture or to pass the food through a window or other aperture, in order to hand the food to a customer inside the establishment,”

No mention there of bulletproof or bullet resistant glass - and doesn't appear to reference the glass in the storefront wall.

Pennsylvania State Law seems to require that a "Large Establishment license" owner is required to provide seating for at least 30 customers.

The discussion often refers to "beer delis", and seems to suggest that these glass partitions are essentially to protect drug dealers.

How bout we find the actual bill?

Not weighing in either for or against, just trying to cut through the drama and look at the facts.
                        If they're dealing drugs wouldn't the obvious, sensible solution be to close them down?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I love you, too.
                          I'm surprised you didn't complement him for using the word "obstreperous"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I'm surprised you didn't complement him for using the word "obstreperous"
                            I'm still marveling at the jargon!

Comment

I don't see how this would do anything other than what Darth said above--force store owners to arm themselves to protect themselves from robberies. They should probably stop selling drug paraphernalia however.
                              Not just sketchy neighborhoods. The grocery stores around here that also sell gas usually have a kiosk by the pumps that are like that, including those in upscale neighborhoods.

Comment