Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Sun is Blank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun is Blank

OK, you science types....

bogus website? Hype? What's this all about?

The sun is blank, NASA data shows it to be dimming

As the sun gets successively more blank with each day, due to lack of sunspots, it is also dimming. According to data from NASA’s Spaceweather, so far in 2017, 96 days (27%) of the days observing the sun have been without sunspots. Here is the view today from the NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory satellite:

latest_512_hmiic1.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

bogus website? Hype?
    Yes to both. Watts' is a well-known climate crank.

What's this all about?
    It's hard to tell what's set him off this time, but it's been well known that sunspot activity affects irradiance for, well, a lot longer than any of us have been following climate science. Variations in sunspot activity have been noted since Galileo, centuries in any case. The 11-year sunspot cycle has been known nearly as long.

Not that it makes any difference to cranks, but Watts really shouldn't be blasting off about dimming considering he's been pushing the idea that the sun has been driving temperatures higher for years. He's going to be wrong against the science, given his history, but it would help if he at least tried not to be wrong against himself.

Comment

The sun is blank, NASA data shows it to be dimming

As the sun gets successively more blank with each day, due to lack of sunspots, it is also dimming. According to data from NASA’s Spaceweather, so far in 2017, 96 days (27%) of the days observing the sun have been without sunspots. Here is the view today from the NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory satellite:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25472[/ATTACH]
      The guys a crackpot climate change denier cited by many here on tweb in past debates on global warming.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        Yes to both. Watts' is a well-known climate crank.
        Ah, ok. I kinda thought I remembered something about this, so....

Thanks
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think it's worthwhile to note that the basic fact here - the sun's in a period of relatively low activity, and that's included periods without sunspots - is fine. Where Watts will go wrong is interpreting that as "so we can expect the earth to start cooling." He's even repeated claims that it's going to be plunging us into a mini-ice age in the coming decades.

Which is all bogus. Scientists aren't idiots, and we can measure the amount of incoming solar radiation and calculate the magnitude of its effect on the earth's energy balance. We can do the same for greenhouse gasses. And we know that the greenhouse effect will swamp the effect of the changes in solar cycle. And, in fact, when we do the measurements, that's exactly what we see:

Watts, of course, relies on people being willing to believe that scientists are idiots.
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
            I think it's worthwhile to note that the basic fact here - the sun's in a period of relatively low activity, and that's included periods without sunspots - is fine. Where Watts will go wrong is interpreting that as "so we can expect the earth to start cooling." He's even repeated claims that it's going to be plunging us into a mini-ice age in the coming decades.

Which is all bogus. Scientists aren't idiots, and we can measure the amount of incoming solar radiation and calculate the magnitude of its effect on the earth's energy balance. We can do the same for greenhouse gasses. And we know that the greenhouse effect will swamp the effect of the changes in solar cycle. And, in fact, when we do the measurements, that's exactly what we see:

Watts, of course, relies on people being willing to believe that scientists are idiots.
            Thanks

Comment

Looks like this has already been pretty well debunked before I had a chance to add my two cents smiley dejected.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hmmm... cycles? The Sun gets moody? Except it's a ball of nuclear fusioning hydrogen and helium, so I doubt it has feelings.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Looks like this has already been pretty well debunked before I had a chance to add my two cents [ATTACH=CONFIG]25473[/ATTACH]
                  When has that ever stopped you before?

Comment

When has that ever stopped you before?
                    Usually I have something more to add that hasn't been covered.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Usually I have something more to add that hasn't been covered.
                      Ah, OK. It looked like hype, which is why I posted it as a "what about this", rather than "hey, lookie here!"

Comment