Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Great Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Progress

So, as I was having my pity party over the letter I received in my thread "Gut Kick", sitting in my office at Church, I got a call from the guy I was helping get "redocumented".

He asked if I could come outside, cause he wanted to show me something. He was sitting in a 1999 Chevy Impala with 139,000 on it, in good running condition, and said it was a GIFT! He said he had been doing some handyman work on a house owned by a couple I know, and when he told them I helped him get a driver's license, birth certificate and social security card (the latter came in the mail today!) they said, "well, you're going to need a car, too, yes?" And they said they had a car they were going to donate to "Kars for Kids" or something, but felt he could use it even more.

On Thursday, I had taken him to two job possibilities, both of which said they would hire him now that he's "documented", but he needed "reliable transportation".

Now he can call them back and say "guess what!"

The best thing of all, my new friend told me "God is really being good to me and things are finally working out".

Praise God!!!

(and, yeah, this kinda offsets some of the gloom of the gut kick)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And they said they had a car they were going to donate to "Kars for Kids" or something, but felt he could use it even more.
      good move, i heard kars for kids is pretty shady
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        There are actually two organizations, one with cars spelled with a c, the other with a k. But, yeah, I like donating and working locally where I know the donation or service is put to good use and appreciated.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          There are a number of groups with similar sounding names that are crooked but IIRC Kars4Kids (the one with kids singing their phone number off key) has gotten in trouble for not disclosing that they focus their assistance on helping Jewish children in need.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So, a quick update....

My friend (did I call him Jim? - let's use that name) disappeared, and wasn't at Church Wednesday night. First time he's missed a service, and he didn't answer my texts or phone calls. (He doesn't actually have phone service - just wi-fi connection, so he can only use his phone on wifi)

I started to think he "flew the nest", which was kinda sad, but also OK. There was never any connection or requirement "hey, I'll help you out if you stay around..." He was free to go.

Well, a couple days ago, he called me and asked to meet at the Church. He had gone back to where his Dad lives to try to reestablish a relationship. That was pretty much a failure, as his Dad is staying drunk, and has no interest in family.

Jim reasserted, "our Church is my family, so that's OK".

Anyway, he told me he got a call back from one of the places where he applied for work, and now that he's "legit", he can work a "real" job where he gets a real paycheck, not just cash under the table here and there.

Then he said, "Now I can start giving to the Church instead of taking, and help the next guy down the road who needs help".

Yesterday, he texted me about noon just saying, "I'm bored, got nothing to do". We were getting ready to start our Christmas Fajita dinner, so I told him come over to the house to eat with us, but we didn't have any presents for him. He said, "that's not a problem, I just want to have a meal with family".

So, he spent the day with us, mostly palling around with Jake, who seems to think Jim is an OK guy.

Today, Jim started his real job. And he told us he was really grateful that he can "be a person again".

Comment

Yesterday was a good day. My friend called and asked where I was, and could he meet me. I have to admit, it had been a busy day, I was headed home, and didn't really want another "project". I knew he had been having a little trouble with the car he had obtained, and I was really really tired.

I told him I had to stop at the UPS store, which was near his motel, so he told me he'd meet me there.

I had helped him personally with a loan of $100 -- I had given him some money in the past, but since he had a job, I told him "this is a loan - pay me back when you can". About 2 weeks ago, he brought me $20. Yesterday evening, he brought me the rest of the money - $80. He really seemed proud, and I said, "it feels good to settle debt, doesn't it?" He smiled really big, and said "it really does".

The Church had helped him also, and he asked me to tell him how much that total was, because he wanted to put that money in our "do something" fund. (We actually have a fund that anybody can donate to, and it is actually called the "do something" fund - for the Pastor to use at his discretion to help situations like Jim's)

His boss had given him a raise already, and a cash bonus, so Jim was repaying debts and getting - in his own words - "above water for the first time in a long long time".

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In over 40 years of ministry, this is the very first time somebody we've helped has actually "paid in full" all of their assistance.

Please note - it is NEVER our intention to be "paid in full" - we consider that an investment. But Jim was clear - "you can use this to help the next guy".

It bothers me a little when somebody PROMISES "I'll pay you back every penny" - that never ever happens. Jim didn't promise - he just did it!

Comment

OK, things like this often come with setbacks, and the last few days has been really really discouraging.

Like many of the people I deal with, Jim had a history of weed and meth. Supposedly, he hadn't 'used' for over a year, but the last few days, he had become quite paranoid and unsettled. It got to be where he was texting me or visiting me constantly. On Monday, it got way out of hand, and he started texting me from 6:30 AM til nearly midnight that somebody was following him, people were trying to repo his car, he showed up for work, and there were some cars in the parking lot he didn't recognize, so he went into a panic trying to figure out who they belonged to. He just knew they were there to get him. His boss let him go, and now he is jobless again.

He stopped by the Church half a dozen times and was quite animated and in fear - I sent my secretary home early, though I didn't believe Him would harm her - she just didn't need to be around this. My entire day Monday was spent dealing with Jim and his paranoia. He would admit "yeah, I know that in reality they are not really trying to get me, but it scares me to death, and .... and... it's REAL!"

On Tuesdays, I meet with men of our Church for coffee at 10 AM, and Jim was there - and everybody else got to see he was "not the same" - still cooperative, but constantly getting up and looking outside.

After the meeting, Jim stayed, even though I was having a meeting with my secretary/ministry coordinator, and I had to explain to Jim "I can't babysit you all day, Jim" - but he had no job anymore, and seemed totally confused. I suggested he go to the library and use the computer to look for another job, so he went out to his car and just sat there for hours. After lunch, he came back, and was, again, absolutely convinced that somebody was trying to repo his car - even though it has been paid for - and "trying to block him in". He came back to talk to me, and was very agitated, saying he needs his meds to stop this paranoia. (And, yes, we prayed with him and all that)

I had been checking with local resources, but with no job, no insurance, no money - it's hard to get help. My son-in-law is, as I have said, local police sergeant, and got their MHMR officer involved. I explained to Jim that, because he's not suicidal or a physical threat to anybody, I'd have to go before a judge and get a committal warrant. He said "I just want help".

Long story short, I went before a judge yesterday (a friend) swore out a warrant, asked Jim to meet me at the Church, explained to him what was about to happen, and he rode with me over to MHMR (normally, that would have been a police arrest, but he was cooperative) At MHMR, they were initially going to schedule him for a screening, but he got agitated and said he couldn't handle coming back - he would NOT come back - "them people will get me". So the intake officer asked if I thought he needed to go to the hospital. Jim was explaining the people who were following him, but he "had witnesses" that there really were people following him - she looked over at me, and I shook my head no, and she took the clue.

She decided to do a commitment to a treatment center, which meant a city police officer would need to transport him. When the uniformed officer arrived, I was very proud of the way he conducted himself. He introduced himself to Jim, and explained, "I'm giving you a ride, but I understand you've been very cooperative, so I'm not going to handcuff you - I do need to do a patdown, but you won't be restrained...." Jim was relieved, because he just knew he was going to be handcuffed.

I have to admit, I am TOTALLY worn out from this - it's exhausting - but it's also quite a relief that I believe he's going to get the help he needs. He should be in treatment for 2 or 3 days, and I explained that our Church people completely understand, and he's "still family".

Please pray for Jim - he needs to get back into his own head again, and he'll need a job and support.

Comment

Did you find out if it was actually drugs? Because it sounds like schizophrenia.

Comment

Meth can do that - without a relapse, if memory serves.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Meth can do that - without a relapse, if memory serves.
                          Hmmm. Is there something you are not telling us?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Hmmm. Is there something you are not telling us?
                            DIS, remember?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              DIS, remember?
                              Drug Induced Senility?

Comment