Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Great Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Did you find out if it was actually drugs? Because it sounds like schizophrenia.
    Not yet - he will be incommunicado until tomorrow morning - I'll probably go visit him mid-morning.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Meth can do that - without a relapse, if memory serves.
      It can, up to a year or more after the fact.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Please pray for Jim - he needs to get back into his own head again, and he'll need a job and support.

It's almost like he can't cope with getting out of the gutter.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Or make simple decisions. When I suggested he go to the library to do some job hunting on their computer, he went to the vestibule (in the Church) and just stood there for 20 minutes staring out the glass door. When I asked him what he was doing, he said, "I don't know what to do".

Another factor, there's a certain hotel in town that has special rates for the police department and local mission - so they can hand out vouchers to people who need a night or two indoors. The problem, of course, is this pools all the druggies and vagrants and ne'er-do-wells in the same place. Some of the people he associated with at the motel were people the police actually WERE watching, which adds to his delusion that HE is being watched.

Comment

well if it is drugs it could be hard to kick the addiction. Once he had money to spend, he might have just been too tempted. And if it is mental illness it can't be helped either. Even on meds it can sometimes rear it's ugly head. But schizophrenics tend to go off of their meds because they either think they don't need them anymore or because they make them feel fuzzy.

Either way he needs help, probably professional medical help.

Comment

Drug Induced Senility?
              C'mere you!
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

well if it is drugs it could be hard to kick the addiction. Once he had money to spend, he might have just been too tempted. And if it is mental illness it can't be helped either. Even on meds it can sometimes rear it's ugly head. But schizophrenics tend to go off of their meds because they either think they don't need them anymore or because they make them feel fuzzy.

Either way he needs help, probably professional medical help.
                Drugs like meth can do damage that recurs without additional drug use - not unlike LSD flashbacks.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Been a while since an update....

So, he had been hospitalized in that mental facility, and when he was released, I went and picked him up.

He actually seemed much more coherent and cooperative.

I spent some more time getting him shelter, a job, and some food.

Long story short, he screwed up everything I tried to arrange - he failed to report for the job interview, he lied about the community service he was supposed to do to keep his place at the shelter, and he seemed to expect me to keep putting up with his crap.

One night after Church (Wednesday night service, he was still attending) he hit me up for a loan of $50. I took him outside and read him the riot act. I mean, I didn't swear or anything, but I gave him a real healthy dose of "you've managed to screw up everything I've tried to do for you, and I don't have time for these games anymore - you are on your own!" I have to admit, I was pretty hot, because he's (28 years old) not a kid, and he just can't seem to take responsibility for his actions.

He was bugging me about "who in the Church needs help for cash - he could mow lawns, do maintenance..." - I told him I didn't want him around my Church members. I was pretty harsh, because there were other people we were helping who genuinely appreciated it, and we needed to focus on them.

He disappeared for a few weeks, and, yeah, I kinda felt bad for yelling at hm, but he didn't have any drive, and he kept coming up with all kinds of lamebrained excuses for not getting a job.

Finally, about a week ago, he showed up at Church and asked if he could talk to me. He got a job at McDondald's for mornings, and job at a local car wash in the evenings. He promised he was ready to "grow up", and just didn't want to disappoint me.

I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic, but he has been going to both jobs (I checked) and doesn't seem to have the "meth face" and other indicators that he's on drugs.

We shall see.

Comment

Been a while since an update....

So, he had been hospitalized in that mental facility, and when he was released, I went and picked him up.

He actually seemed much more coherent and cooperative.

I spent some more time getting him shelter, a job, and some food.

Long story short, he screwed up everything I tried to arrange - he failed to report for the job interview, he lied about the community service he was supposed to do to keep his place at the shelter, and he seemed to expect me to keep putting up with his crap.

One night after Church (Wednesday night service, he was still attending) he hit me up for a loan of $50. I took him outside and read him the riot act. I mean, I didn't swear or anything, but I gave him a real healthy dose of "you've managed to screw up everything I've tried to do for you, and I don't have time for these games anymore - you are on your own!" I have to admit, I was pretty hot, because he's (28 years old) not a kid, and he just can't seem to take responsibility for his actions.

He was bugging me about "who in the Church needs help for cash - he could mow lawns, do maintenance..." - I told him I didn't want him around my Church members. I was pretty harsh, because there were other people we were helping who genuinely appreciated it, and we needed to focus on them.

He disappeared for a few weeks, and, yeah, I kinda felt bad for yelling at hm, but he didn't have any drive, and he kept coming up with all kinds of lamebrained excuses for not getting a job.

Finally, about a week ago, he showed up at Church and asked if he could talk to me. He got a job at McDondald's for mornings, and job at a local car wash in the evenings. He promised he was ready to "grow up", and just didn't want to disappoint me.

I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic, but he has been going to both jobs (I checked) and doesn't seem to have the "meth face" and other indicators that he's on drugs.

We shall see.
                    Some people just need a good kick in the pants. I pray he has turned around.

Comment

Some people just need a good kick in the pants. I pray he has turned around.
                      Or truly hit rock bottom

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Or truly hit rock bottom
                        Sadly, I think that's gonna have to happen with my oldest daughter.

Comment

Sadly, I think that's gonna have to happen with my oldest daughter.

Comment