Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Media Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I said the word "deep" is subjective - as is the word "dark." Both are adjectives. The "depth" of the canyon can be measured.
    Things that can be measured don't preclude them from being relative with respect to each other.

Carry on!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Things that can be measured don't preclude them from being relative with respect to each other.

Carry on!
      OK - so you're agreeing with me.

I think.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

OK - so you're agreeing with me. I think.
        I just have this feeling that, while trying to give the impression that you're Switzerland, you're not quite dressed the part. But that's just my own little biased opinion.

Carry on!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I just have this feeling that, while trying to give the impression that you're Switzerland, you're not quite dressed the part. But that's just my own little biased opinion.

Carry on!
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

He's saying that you are pretending to be neutral, but really aren't. At least not from his perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              He's saying that you are pretending to be neutral, but really aren't. At least not from his perspective.
              Ahh, I see. I'm not "pretending" to be neutral. I'm NOT neutral. I have definite stances on each and every policy I encounter, once I have the information to form an opinion. When I don't have that information, I simply express no As an aggregate, I am slightly left of center, but I hold views across the political spectrum.

I'm not sure where the idea that I am "neutral" came from. I don't think I ever claimed that about myself. That I think we can discuss/debate without having to resort to insults and dismissing one another as "enemies" doesn't mean I am neutral. I do have opinions, which I have expressed here.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 12-18-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Ahh, I see. I'm not "pretending" to be neutral. I'm NOT neutral. I have definite stances on each and every policy I encounter. As an aggregate, I am slightly left of center, but I hold views across the political spectrum.

I'm not sure where the idea that I am "neutral" came from. I don't think I ever claimed that about myself. That I think we can discuss/debate without having to resort to insults and dismissing one another as "enemies" doesn't mean I am neutral. I do have opinions, which I have expressed here.
                Fair enough.

Comment

Fair enough.
                  So was that your perspective? That I was claiming to be "neutral?" If so, I would very much like to know where it comes from. It might explain why Jedidiah seems to think I'm a hypocrit. Ultimately, what someone else thinks of me doesn't change who and what I am - but if it is based on something I've been saying (or mis-saying), I'd like to know.

Comment

So was that your perspective? That I was claiming to be "neutral?" If so, I would very much like to know where it comes from. It might explain why Jedidiah seems to think I'm a hypocrit. Ultimately, what someone else thinks of me doesn't change who and what I am - but if it is based on something I've been saying (or mis-saying), I'd like to know.
                    You stated your case. I'll take you at your word til proven different.

Comment

Ahh, I see. I'm not "pretending" to be neutral. I'm NOT neutral. I have definite stances on each and every policy I encounter. As an aggregate, I am slightly left of center, but I hold views across the political spectrum.

You seem a bit further than slightly left. Have you ever taken a political survey to place yourself? Something like this maybe: https://www.politicalcompass.org/test/ or this:
                      http://www.people-press.org/quiz/political-typology/ (here's another popular one: https://www.theadvocates.org/quiz/quiz.php).
                      Last edited by Adrift; 12-18-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        You seem a bit further than slightly left. Have you ever taken a political survey to place yourself? Something like this maybe: https://www.politicalcompass.org/test/ or this:
                        http://www.people-press.org/quiz/political-typology/ (here's another popular one: https://www.theadvocates.org/quiz/quiz.php).
                        Yes - I have, and I pretty consistently come out left of center which is one of the reasons I categorize myself that way. I will acknowledge that the subjects here have tended to be socially-related, which is an area where I am much more left than right. On fiscal issues I am much more right than left. On government, more to the center. I see benefits and deficiencies in the platforms of both parties. And I see many issues that the left and right paint as binary as being no such thing (we've discussed abortion, but I hold similar views on entitlement programs, the rich, the poor, etc.). I hold positions that span the political spectrum, and MANY issues to do not assess as much off the rest of the world assesses them - which you have noted. That I do not align with the rest of the world does not concern me - as long as I can find a rational basis for my views.

Comment

Interesting. Me 'n Ghandi:

chart.png

Some strange questions though.
                          Last edited by guacamole; 12-18-2017, 10:43 AM.
                          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

You stated your case. I'll take you at your word til proven different.
                            To quote someone I know... "fair enough"

Comment

To quote someone I know... "fair enough"
                              Fair enough, then.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                                Interesting. Me 'n Ghandi:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25496[/ATTACH]

Some strange questions though.
                                Your post made me curious - so I went ahead and took it. I had a hard time with some of the questions. Like you said: odd. But mine looked like this:

Political.jpg

I cannot say I was particularly surprised, though I'm apparently not as deeply libertarian as I would have assessed myself to be.

(and now I know how to embed a picture! )
                                Last edited by carpedm9587; 12-18-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment