Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Media Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    ... identity politics ...
    Hitchens, who I'd imagine most would consider hard left, was famously acerbic about identity politics, and got away with it just fine. I agree with the Hitch, on this issue at least, because he's got a good argument. There's a place and a need for the voices most directly affected by particular policies, but "my ox got gored" can never be a basis for objective opinion.

Much, if not all, or nearly all, of the "they're all biased" arguments I hear are not from those with an interest in unbiased reporting, but rather from those looking to justify their consumption of caution-quoted news from the most egregious offenders. It's "my wife winked at the neighbor" used to justify seeing the truck stop whore.

It's not honest, and honestly, it says more about oneself than it does about the wife, or even the roadway entrepreneur.

An actual concern about bias would be matched by movement toward the least biased sources.

We don't need to rely on third-party scorecards to determine bias, or, more typically, journalistic sloppiness. Clicking through is enough, whether we're talking about science reporting or the latest memo from partisan actors. Find the doi and then click through on the climate story, read the memo and then search the transcripts. And, where the stories end, stop forming opinions.

Approach every story as if you were going to report it yourself, and you'll find the bias that really matters when reading the news is the bias you bring to the news yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      Hitchens, who I'd imagine most would consider hard left, was famously acerbic about identity politics, and got away with it just fine. I agree with the Hitch, on this issue at least, because he's got a good argument. There's a place and a need for the voices most directly affected by particular policies, but "my ox got gored" can never be a basis for objective opinion.

Much, if not all, or nearly all, of the "they're all biased" arguments I hear are not from those with an interest in unbiased reporting, but rather from those looking to justify their consumption of caution-quoted news from the most egregious offenders. It's "my wife winked at the neighbor" used to justify seeing the truck stop whore.

It's not honest, and honestly, it says more about oneself than it does about the wife, or even the roadway entrepreneur.

An actual concern about bias would be matched by movement toward the least biased sources.

We don't need to rely on third-party scorecards to determine bias, or, more typically, journalistic sloppiness. Clicking through is enough, whether we're talking about science reporting or the latest memo from partisan actors. Find the doi and then click through on the climate story, read the memo and then search the transcripts. And, where the stories end, stop forming opinions.

Approach every story as if you were going to report it yourself, and you'll find the bias that really matters when reading the news is the bias you bring to the news yourself.
      Sounds a lot like you're just dismissing protests of bias with a bit of armchair pseudo-psychoanalysis of those who object to it although you're right about trying to check the original sources where possible. If not, or it isn't something that has a doi, then I would add to look for multiple sources including those who approach it from a different angle than you usually do. Of course that can be difficult if large elements of the press spike the story so only one side is covering it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Much, if not all, or nearly all, of the "they're all biased" arguments I hear are not from those with an interest in unbiased reporting, but rather from those looking to justify their consumption of caution-quoted news from the most egregious offenders.
        Let's look at this from another angle. Much, if not all, or nearly all, of the "my source is unbiased" arguments I hear are not from those with an interest in unbiased reporting, but rather from those looking to justify their consumption of their preferred source.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Let's look at this from another angle. Much, if not all, or nearly all, of the "my source is unbiased" arguments I hear are not from those with an interest in unbiased reporting, but rather from those looking to justify their consumption of their preferred source.
          When a poster consistently speaks of "less biased," or "least biased," only to see the subject changed to "unbiased," the rational response is to simply move on, chalking up the lack of rebuttal and unanimous preference for deflection as a win.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Sounds a lot like you're just dismissing protests of bias with a bit of armchair pseudo-psychoanalysis of those who object to it although you're right about trying to check the original sources where possible. If not, or it isn't something that has a doi, then I would add to look for multiple sources including those who approach it from a different angle than you usually do. Of course that can be difficult if large elements of the press spike the story so only one side is covering it.
            I'm dismissing protests of bias for cause, as the evidence shows that the protests are not accompanied by a movement toward ... wait, I've already said this.

If it wasn't read the first time, there's little point in posting it twice.
            If ... it isn't something that has a doi, then I would add to look for multiple sources including those who approach it from a different angle than you usually do ...

Multiple uninformed sources are not better than a single uninformed source. Greater volume and turning one's head cannot make up for signal loss. The better response is to wait for better information to justify adopting a proportionally less tentative conclusion, and get comfortable with not knowing everything you want to know.

Most of all, stop wanting a particular answer.

This isn't a novel idea. It works for science. It even works for religion.
            The secret waits for the insight
            Of eyes unclouded by longing;
            Those who are bound by desire
            See only the outward container.

Unless it's cookies. It's always okay to long for cookies.

Comment

When a poster consistently speaks of "less biased," or "least biased," only to see the subject changed to "unbiased," the rational response is to simply move on, chalking up the lack of rebuttal and unanimous preference for deflection as a win.
              Yes, that would be a red flag.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment