Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does an Omniscient Creator Lead to Fatalism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's a relief, cause I was thinking NOBODY could be that dumb and breathe oxygen.
    I think he has something funny mixed in with his oxygen.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Foreknowledge is not causation. God's knowing what would happen does not necessarily mean He caused it.
      God's foreknowledge and will on how Creation determined the future of events is indeed causation, even though one may propose different outcomes.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        nope. Because as I said, your choices are all free will. You are still responsible for them. That's kinda the whole point of Molinism and why it came to be versus Calvinism.
        Nope what? What I said was pending God’s existence my disbelief in God is either true, or it aligns with God’s plan. Which one do now you deny?

And as for free will: assuming God’s existence, He knows –better than I do- under which circumstances I will freely choose to convert, yet His plan (so far!) is to not bring those circumstances about.

Comment

Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
          Nope what? What I said was pending God’s existence my disbelief in God is either true, or it aligns with God’s plan. Which one do now you deny?

And as for free will: assuming God’s existence, He knows –better than I do- under which circumstances I will freely choose to convert, yet His plan (so far!) is to not bring those circumstances about.
          Nope that you can't blame God for your free-will choice to disbelieve. And if you don't like that you are unsaved, then do something about it. That will be part of God's plan too.

Comment

Nope that you can't blame God for your free-will choice to disbelieve. And if you don't like that you are unsaved, then do something about it. That will be part of God's plan too.
            I’m not blaming Him, I’m saying that (if He exists) He deliberately brought circumstances about in which He knew I would freely choose atheism. So far His plan is not to bring circumstances about in which He knows I will freely choose theism.

It’s my free choice and responsibility to choose atheism or theism, but it’s God’s choice to bring those circumstances about or not. You can’t pin that responsibility on me.

And if you don't like that you are unsaved,
            Who says that I don’t? I don't know what I need to be saved from; I don’t even believe there is a God.

That will be part of God's plan too.
            And if I don't do a thing about it is that His plan too?

Comment

I’m not blaming Him, I’m saying that (if He exists) He deliberately brought circumstances about in which He knew I would freely choose atheism. So far His plan is not to bring circumstances about in which He knows I will freely choose theism.

It’s my free choice and responsibility to choose atheism or theism, but it’s God’s choice to bring those circumstances about or not. You can’t pin that responsibility on me.
              all right except for your last sentence.

Who says that I don’t? I don't know what I need to be saved from; I don’t even believe there is a God.
              So you are saying that IF God put you in these circumstances, then you are quite happy with them because you are doing exactly what you want, of your own free will, right?

exactly. This universe, if molinism is true, completely allows any free will choice you want to make. And no matter what it is, it will align God's plan in the end.

Comment

Believe me crepuscule, you can try and explain the error in their thinking until the cows come home, it just doesn't compute. Their brain doesn't allow for it.

Comment

Nope that you can't blame God for your free-will choice to disbelieve.
                  Well you can...assuming he exists...because he is deemed omniscient. He supposedly knew even before he created you what you would decide at any given point in time.

And if you don't like that you are unsaved, then do something about it. That will be part of God's plan too.
                  You mean that God knew even before he created you that you would decide to “do something about being saved” at some point in time.

How is this ‘free-will' exactly?
                  Last edited by Tassman; 12-22-2017, 11:04 PM.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    Well you can...assuming he exists...because he is deemed omniscient. He supposedly knew even before he created you what you would decide at any given point in time.

You mean that God knew even before he created you that you would decide to “do something about being saved” at some point in time.

How is this ‘free-will' exactly?
                    Infinite omniscience has no limitations of knowing. And infinite omnipresence cannot be not omniscient.
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

all right except for your last sentence.
                      Come again? God is not responsible for the universe He wilfully created?

I'm responsible for the choices I make, yes, but usually not for the circumstances under which I make those choices. If someone throws a child in the water and you have the choice to jump in and save or not, are you responsible for the child being thrown in the water?

So you are saying that IF God put you in these circumstances, then you are quite happy with them because you are doing exactly what you want, of your own free will, right?
                      Well, happy's not what I said, but since you ask, yes. But mind you (again): in that case it was God who chose to present the universe to me that way. He deliberately did not opt for circumstances under which He knew I would freely choose theism. Not my choice, His.

exactly. This universe, if molinism is true, completely allows any free will choice you want to make. And no matter what it is, it will align God's plan in the end.
                      Then according to you my free will choice to be an atheist aligns with God’s plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                        It was a tribal thing, Moses needed to annihilate his neighbours and take their land and YAHWEH, like all good tribal gods, supported him. That’s what tribal gods are for...to provide the divine imprimatur.
                        I don't suppose you realize that this verbal diarrhea has nothing to do with the passage I was talking about.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Or... God has already made the circumstances and evidence available to you, but you have made the freewill choice to reject them. Trust me when I say that nobody is going to stand before God on the Day of Judgment and be able to say, "I had no way of knowing!"
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Or... God has already made the circumstances and evidence available to you, but you have made the freewill choice to reject them.
                            You haven't actually read the thread, have you? The point is that -given God's existence and molinism- if God had already made the circumstances and evidence available to me, I would be a theist by now. But since I'm an atheist, God has only done that deliberately to the extent that He knew I would choose atheism.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              I don't suppose you realize that this verbal diarrhea has nothing to do with the passage I was talking about.
                              It has. God's apparent "change of mind" was an example of what tribal gods do. Namely, providing a divine imprimatur for Moses (in this instance) to rationalise his raping and pillaging and land stealing. It's a tribal thing.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

. . . -given God's existence and molinism- if God had already made the circumstances and evidence available to me, I would be a theist by now. But since I'm an atheist, God has only done that deliberately to the extent that He knew I would choose atheism.
                                The Apostle Paul wrote the Roman Christians telling them, "There is none who understands; there is none who seeks God." So how have you sought to find God?
                                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment