Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Turing Test, Consciousness and Imago Dei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Turing Test, Consciousness and Imago Dei

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Many animals pass the mirror test, suggesting a lower form of consciousness, that does not mean they are created in the image of God. It is God alone who endows men with His image. And as far as I know computers do not have an immaterial spirit.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Many animals pass the mirror test, suggesting a lower form of consciousness, that does not mean they are created in the image of God. It is God alone who endows men with His image. And as far as I know computers do not have an immaterial spirit.
        Nor are humans capable of creating such a spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Nor are humans capable of creating such a spirit.
          Exactly...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Comment

Ever heard of a "philosophical zombie"? I don't personally think "strong" AI will ever get to the point of being human like to the degree many are saying, but it would at best be a "zombie". It looks and acts like a human, but isn't truly experiencing anything. At least not like humans do.

Comment

Ever heard of a "philosophical zombie"? I don't personally think "strong" AI will ever get to the point of being human like to the degree many are saying, but it would at best be a "zombie". It looks and acts like a human, but isn't truly experiencing anything. At least not like humans do.
                Yeah, because so many of our responses are based on emotion rather than logic, and often even illogical. How can that be simulated where there are no real emotions?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Smash Boy View Post
                  Are you perhaps saying consciousness is not a legitimate criteria to endow any being with a mind as human or even have human-like properties?
                  No, I do not think consciousness alone makes a human being. We are primarily spiritual beings in a physical "tent." So the gulf between what humans are and what animals or AIs are will never be bridged.

Comment

Last edited by Smash Boy; 12-18-2017, 07:47 AM.

Comment

No, I do not think consciousness alone makes a human being. We are primarily spiritual beings in a physical "tent." So the gulf between what humans are and what animals or AIs are will never be bridged.

Comment

Originally posted by Smash Boy View Post
                        As a Christian, I agree, but suppose you are debating a non-believer; would you solely base your responses on biblical (and sound) responses, or would you add a secular response, like the Chinese Room Argument?
                        It has been a while since I looked at the Chinese room argument, but no, as a Christian I would argue from my worldview. Heck if you argued from a secular worldview there would be very little to distinguish us from apes. Yes we are more intelligent but that is a difference of degrees but not of kind.

And if it passes the Turing test, then what? Human rights for AIs?

Comment

It has been a while since I looked at the Chinese room argument, but no, as a Christian I would argue from my worldview. Heck if you argued from a secular worldview there would be very little to distinguish us from apes. Yes we are more intelligent but that is a difference of degrees but not of kind.
                          And if it passes the Turing test, then what? Human rights for AIs?

Comment

Just as some would want it to be murder to kill and eat animals. I see it all as a dark and consistent effort to undermine the uniqueness of human beings. We are no better or different than animals, and now in this case machines.

Comment

To me the turing test doesn't prove anything other than how gullible the person who is testing is. What fools one person might not fool someone else. Also even if the machine could pass the test, all it proves is that it can fake being intelligent. It doesn't prove that it has consciousness or can actually think for itself. It just means it is good at the Turing test.

Comment