I just got to break up a fight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    I spent the tiniest bit of time subbing in Chicago public high schools. Admittedly, I towered over these kids, but still ... my one buddy clued me in, and it was true ... you can break up a fight between these guys by putting the lightest hand on their shoulder. That was after watching this kid, who was entirely solid despite his size, relatively to me anyway, jump another one and plant a solid wallop.

I made a long arm and pulled him back as easy as a puck on an air table.

The fight's just for show.
    You risked mussing your perfect hair by getting yourself involved in a fight?!? smiley jawdrop.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I suspect the Jerk didn't get a whole lot of that instilled. I know your brother didn't.
      I've always had a wide streak of anti-authoritarianism.

In High Skewl a coach ordered me to bend over for a paddling (yeah, I'm old). I calmly informed him that if he hit me with the paddle I would break it across his teeth. Considering he had seen me brawl before (I had my first black belt) and likely saw the look in my eye (I never threaten -- I warn), they decided to suspend me for the rest of the day. Just in time for afternoon cartoons.

Yeah. I was incorrigible[1]. No wonder my father thought I would end up in prison.

1 I was actually innocent of what I was accused of being out sick the day that the event took place -- something the principal informed the coach of and likely why I didn't get in that much trouble.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Seriously, though, don't you think part of that was the respect that was instilled in us as kids to respect authority - and "the teacher" was "god"?
        Sure, that was part of it, if you add in the difference in heights and call it a "sky god."

It was Benito Juarez, a predominantly Mexican high school filled with kids so new to the country they didn't know about disrespecting their elders. Their parents had green cards, or less.

Comment

I spent the tiniest bit of time subbing in Chicago public high schools.
          You are a righteous man. To quote some rando on the internet: "Everyday subbing was a new worst day of my life."
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

Sure, that was part of it, if you add in the difference in heights and call it a "sky god."

It was Benito Juarez, a predominantly Mexican high school filled with kids so new to the country they didn't know about disrespecting their elders. Their parents had green cards, or less.
            I teach in a school that is 70% hispanic. The disrespectful and violent kids are the white ones.
            Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              You are a righteous man. To quote some rando on the internet: "Everyday subbing was a new worst day of my life."
              That's what comes of approaching life with the wrong attitude. Now the truly righteous man recognizes there's only two kinds of experiences you'll encounter in this life: good times and good stories. So if you're not having a good time, make the most of it. Take notes:

I spent one day at Austin High School. As I wended my way to a first class on the second floor, through the mobs of students filling the halls and showing no sign of doing the same, I addressed an above-average sized obstacle in my way.

You need to get to class.

The student turned and looked down at me, way down. I'm not short. "Y'all don't belong heeah."

And I walked on, thinking quietly to myself, "You are so right." I declined an invitation to return the following day. Scheduling issues. Had to wash my hair. Dog ate my homework.

Look, aliens!

Comment

I was the nerdy fat kid that got picked on but who made friends with a huge guy who I helped with his homework and he kept the bullies away. I called him Lurch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I was the nerdy fat kid that got picked on but who made friends with a huge guy who I helped with his homework and he kept the bullies away. I called him Lurch.
                  I got kicked out of my high school at the end of my sophomore year, and had to transfer to a school across town that was 75% black and 54% Puerto Rican. I was white bread. So, yeah, I found be the biggest blackest football player I could find, and offered to help him with his homework to keep him on the team. He put the word out that I was to be left alone. In the process, we became really good friends.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                    Two of the smallest, scrawniest freshmen that I have ever seen. Neither one's heart was in it, so I saved them both from humiliation.

Yay me!
                    When I was a freshman in Tech (all boys school back then) I got in a donnybrook with a kid that was quite a bit bigger and stronger than me - the male teachers just watched. After I got the crap knocked out of me a Senior classmate broke it up. I think the teachers were taking bets...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      When I was a freshman in Tech (all boys school back then) I got in a donnybrook with a kid that was quite a bit bigger and stronger than me - the male teachers just watched. After I got the crap knocked out of me a Senior classmate broke it up. I think the teachers were taking bets...
                      LOL. They might have been.
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I got kicked out of my high school at the end of my sophomore year, and had to transfer to a school across town that was 75% black and 54% Puerto Rican. I was white bread. So, yeah, I found be the biggest blackest football player I could find, and offered to help him with his homework to keep him on the team. He put the word out that I was to be left alone. In the process, we became really good friends.
                        Gary (Lurch) was a really good friend too. He and I got along great. He wasn't stupid but he had a hard time with science and math stuff so I helped him out and he helped me out with a few bullies. He never had to actually DO anything. Just be my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Gary (Lurch) was a really good friend too. He and I got along great. He wasn't stupid but he had a hard time with science and math stuff so I helped him out and he helped me out with a few bullies. He never had to actually DO anything. Just be my friend.
                          EGGzackly. But I made sure to sit with my buddy at lunch in the school cafeteria so everybody could see we were friends. His big challenge was algebra - my worst subject, but it made me study harder, and improved my grades, as well. He was supposed to be an attendant at my wedding, but, sadly, he was killed in Vietnam in the spring of '75. Semper fi!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment