Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tourette's Syndrome

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    One Christian apologist I know recently tried arguing against suicide being damnable because there's only one unforgivable sin and it's not listed as being suicide. I'd respond to that by saying that suicide should be considered in the category as "murder", which in itself is not unforgivable.

Another argument I've seen is that Samson committed suicide, but I'd more consider what he did as part of an act of war on behalf of his people (laying down his life for his countrymen). Context matters. The passengers who intentionally crashed the plane on 9/11 shouldn't be considered to have committed suicide in my eyes.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 12-21-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I apologize for injecting the serious matter of suicide into the serious matter of Tourette's Syndrome.

Maybe this could be (or has been) discussed elsewhere.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

3. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I apologize for injecting the serious matter of suicide into the serious matter of Tourette's Syndrome.

Maybe this could be (or has been) discussed elsewhere.
    I thought it was a relevant point and honestly, I think the OP was rather trollish anyway.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, I'll step in it....

It's also kinda like suicide... people ask, "if they commit suicide, do they go to hell"? And I answer "if they die of cancer, do they go to hell?" I think, in many cases, suicide is a kind of sickness - deep depression, or whatever (I don't pretend to understand it) but I think often it's the result of a sickness.
    What about the opposite? A completely sane person is an atheist, but then he comes down with some disease, say dementia, or a stroke, and it changes his personality so that he is open to the gospel and becomes saved. Does it count?

That sort of what happened to my Dad. He had a stroke and afterwards he started going to church and became saved, stopped drinking and became a loving husband and father.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The idea of suicide having any relevance at all to one's salvation comes from the faulty Catholic idea that any unrepented sin sends a person to hell, even after that person has believed on Christ. In reality, the Bible says that God justifies the ungodly.

Romans 4:5

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

I agree that Samson's suicide wasn't even really a sin. A better example would be Saul, who 1 Samuel 28:19 strongly suggests went to heaven.

1 Samuel 28:19

Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the Lord also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I thought it was a relevant point and honestly, I think the OP was rather trollish anyway.
    Carry on, then!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.