Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourette's Syndrome

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    In my house growing up, "the f-word" was "freak". We were not allowed to use that word.
    I had a British friend whose mother would absolutely come unglued if he said "bloody". Even if it was "I have a bloody nose".

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My grandmother, who was a very godly woman all her life, spent her last few months in a nursing home swearing at everybody, to the shock and horror of my younger siblings. I just had to keep reminding them "that's not her".

I realize that's different from Tourette's Syndrome's coprolalia, but I think, like with my gramma, you have to realize "that's not really that person".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    yep. God doesn't hold us responsible for physical or mental problems when people are not in control.

but is cussing actually a sin? I can see someone being sinful AND cussing, maybe being mean to someone while tossing out cussing and other abuse at them. But what about just using swear words as exclamations? (not taking God in vain ones)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    For a long time I was good about not cussing. Back around 2005 I swore in front of my boss and he was shocked noting that he had never heard me swear before (in something like 3 years).

Now, unfortunately, partially due to the folks I work with, I swear all too frequently. Something I need to work on.
    1 Corinthians 15:33.
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. … The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig
    Entirely out of place is obscene, silly, and vulgar talk; but instead, let there be thanksgiving.
    It's hard for me to get past how lame that translation sounds.

Ephesians 5:3-13

But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
    . . . .
    And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

If you read the whole chapter, in context it's saying that we shouldn't talk about sexual sins in an approving way, or even in a joking way or neutral way. Instead, we should only talk about them in a condemning way.

4. Amen The Remonstrant amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    It's hard for me to get past how lame that translation sounds.

Ephesians 5:3-13

But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
    . . . .
    And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

If you read the whole chapter, in context it's saying that we shouldn't talk about sexual sins in an approving way, or even in a joking way or neutral way. Instead, we should only talk about them in a condemning way.
    Yes, and sin in general.
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. … The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Ephesians 4:29 teaches that unwholesome words should not proceed from one's mouth. Would that include swear words?
    I think it is talking about the content of your words more than the words. But yes it does include swear words. It is a guideline on how to behave but it doesn't say it is a sin. It is like saying "always wash your hands before eating" - it is a good rule to follow but that doesn't make not washing your hands before eating a sin.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It is like saying "always wash your hands before eating" - it is a good rule to follow but that doesn't make not washing your hands before eating a sin.
    I wish you woulda been around to explain that to my Mom!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I had a British friend whose mother would absolutely come unglued if he said "bloody". Even if it was "I have a bloody nose".
    If I'm remembering right "bloody" is pretty close to the f-word is here when it comes to being offensive over in Europe.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    If I'm remembering right "bloody" is pretty close to the f-word is here when it comes to being offensive over in Europe.
    Yeah, it was explained to me that it was a hateful slur against the blood of Christ. Never really tried to prove that, but that's what I was told.

Further, it was explained that the "bloody mary" drink was pretty much the ultimate in insult to Mary.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, it was explained to me that it was a hateful slur against the blood of Christ. Never really tried to prove that, but that's what I was told.

Further, it was explained that the "bloody mary" drink was pretty much the ultimate in insult to Mary.
    According to Oxford Dictionary that is a mistaken belief about it.

Source: Oxford Dictionary

Origin
    Mid 17th century: from bloody. The use of bloody to add emphasis to an expression is of uncertain origin, but is thought to have a connection with the ‘bloods’ (aristocratic rowdies) of the late 17th and early 18th centuries; hence the phrase bloody drunk (= as drunk as a blood) meant ‘very drunk indeed’. After the mid 18th century until quite recently bloody used as a swear word was regarded as unprintable, probably from the mistaken belief that it implied a blasphemous reference to the blood of Christ, or that the word was an alteration of ‘by Our Lady’; hence a widespread caution in using the term even in phrases, such as bloody battle, merely referring to bloodshed.

© Copyright Original Source

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I henceforth declare that "Fligurring" is the absolutely worst and most vulgar word in the English language.

It means "To Fligur"