Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Tourette's Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, it was explained to me that it was a hateful slur against the blood of Christ. Never really tried to prove that, but that's what I was told.

Further, it was explained that the "bloody mary" drink was pretty much the ultimate in insult to Mary.
    AFAIR, "bloody mary" refers to the Queen of England.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      It's hard for me to get past how lame that translation sounds.

Ephesians 5:3-13

But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
      . . . .
      And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

If you read the whole chapter, in context it's saying that we shouldn't talk about sexual sins in an approving way, or even in a joking way or neutral way. Instead, we should only talk about them in a condemning way.
      It's hard for me to get past how terrible your exegesis tends to be, but I manage. That passage is not only about sexual sins.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        AFAIR, "bloody mary" refers to the Queen of England.
        Yeah, I learned that later.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          In my house growing up, "the f-word" was "freak". We were not allowed to use that word.
          If you say it loudly when you are angry, it sounds like a cuss word. It's better to say something like "That's terrible!" or "That's nonsense!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
            If you say it loudly when you are angry, it sounds like a cuss word. It's better to say something like "That's terrible!" or "That's nonsense!"
            One of my Dad's favorite "cuss words" was "Peanut Butter".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I tend to use "feather duster."
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                I tend to use "feather duster."
                If I *have* to make a sound, I just yell without articulating anything. I avoid hearing/reading cussing as much as I can (avoiding it entirely is an impossibility) to make myself less prone to using it. Most times I manage to stop at thoughts.

sigpic

Comment

My grandmother, who was a very godly woman all her life, spent her last few months in a nursing home swearing at everybody, to the shock and horror of my younger siblings. I just had to keep reminding them "that's not her".

I realize that's different from Tourette's Syndrome's coprolalia, but I think, like with my gramma, you have to realize "that's not really that person".
                  She would still be morally responsible for trying to refrain from using those words. Correct? Aren't we responsible for refraining from bad behavior even behavior that does not really reflect who we really are?

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                    It's hard for me to get past how lame that translation sounds.

Ephesians 5:3-13

But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
                    . . . .
                    And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

If you read the whole chapter, in context it's saying that we shouldn't talk about sexual sins in an approving way, or even in a joking way or neutral way. Instead, we should only talk about them in a condemning way.
                    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    It's hard for me to get past how terrible your exegesis tends to be, but I manage. That passage is not only about sexual sins.
                    The context is not narrow enough to be confined solely to sins of a sexual nature; you are correct. That said, I believe Obsidian made a valid point.
                    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                      She would still be morally responsible for trying to refrain from using those words. Correct? Aren't we responsible for refraining from bad behavior even behavior that does not really reflect who we really are?
                      Am I responsible for things that are wholly outside my control?
                      For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                        Am I responsible for things that are wholly outside my control?
                        You are responsible for how you react to them.

Comment

This same question could be asked about someone with dementia or Alzheimer's.

Is a believer with one of these conditions considered less a believer if they have forgotten anything they knew about God?

I believe that God is in charge of keeping my salvation, not me. And if a medical condition arises that takes away my conscious knowledge of Him, He still knows me.

Don't know much about Tourette's, but it seems to me that if a person has a condition over which they have no control, God doesn't hold that against them.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant
                            The context is not narrow enough to be confined solely to sins of a sexual nature; you are correct.
                            Fornication and uncleanness both refer to sex. In this context, "covetous" refers to sex as well (meaning adulterous lust). All the different words about talking are obviously meant to refer to talking about the aforementioned sins. That's why Paul specifically says that the things are shameful to talk about, and describes the activities as things that the wicked do "in secret." But he nonetheless says it is okay to talk about them in the context of condemning them. So to me, it's pretty clear that it's talking about sexual speech.

I used to not understand what it meant, or why "jesting" would be condemned, or what exactly "foolish talking" meant. And then I looked at the passage real closely and figured it out.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              This same question could be asked about someone with dementia or Alzheimer's.

Is a believer with one of these conditions considered less a believer if they have forgotten anything they knew about God?

I believe that God is in charge of keeping my salvation, not me. And if a medical condition arises that takes away my conscious knowledge of Him, He still knows me.

Don't know much about Tourette's, but it seems to me that if a person has a condition over which they have no control, God doesn't hold that against them.
                              OK, I'll step in it....

It's also kinda like suicide... people ask, "if they commit suicide, do they go to hell"? And I answer "if they die of cancer, do they go to hell?" I think, in many cases, suicide is a kind of sickness - deep depression, or whatever (I don't pretend to understand it) but I think often it's the result of a sickness.

Comment

OK, I'll step in it....

It's also kinda like suicide... people ask, "if they commit suicide, do they go to hell"? And I answer "if they die of cancer, do they go to hell?" I think, in many cases, suicide is a kind of sickness - deep depression, or whatever (I don't pretend to understand it) but I think often it's the result of a sickness.
                                I absolutely agree with you on this.

And so we leave those situations in God's hands. Because only He knows the heart.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment