Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Study: Simple Life Forms are Common throughout Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study: Simple Life Forms are Common throughout Universe

Source: http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/simple-life-forms-common-universe-05549.html

Professor J. William Schopf from the University of California, Los Angeles, and his colleagues analyzed 11 specimens of 5 species of prokaryotic cellular microfossils from the Apex Basalt Formation, Pilbara Craton, Western Australia.

Two of the five species the researchers studied were primitive photosynthesizers, one was an Archaeal methane producer, and two others were methane consumers.

“The evidence that a diverse group of organisms had already evolved extremely early in the Earth’s history strengthens the case for life existing elsewhere in the Universe because it would be extremely unlikely that life formed quickly on Earth but did not arise anywhere else,” they said.

The study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, is the most detailed ever conducted on microorganisms preserved in such ancient fossils.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

So where is it?

I have no problem with life elsewhere, but this is just more guesswork. Your title is misleading. It should read "Simple Life forms could be common throughout the universe"

It sure isn't in our solar system as far as we can tell.

Comment

The headline has nothing to do with the discovery here. I find the whole thing confusing.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        The headline has nothing to do with the discovery here. I find the whole thing confusing.
        Actually the article is a bit superficial and for opening discussion here. The real basis for this conclusion is the advances in abiogenesis, geochemistry, biochemistry and the environment that primitive life form arise in. Also, our knowledge of the environments of the planets outside our solar system, and possible moons in our solar system indicate that the environment where early life formed on the early earth is common in our universe. It is obvious that by far most planets and our moons are not suitable for the evolution of life beyond simple life forms.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Source: http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/simple-life-forms-common-universe-05549.html

Professor J. William Schopf from the University of California, Los Angeles, and his colleagues analyzed 11 specimens of 5 species of prokaryotic cellular microfossils from the Apex Basalt Formation, Pilbara Craton, Western Australia.

Two of the five species the researchers studied were primitive photosynthesizers, one was an Archaeal methane producer, and two others were methane consumers.

“The evidence that a diverse group of organisms had already evolved extremely early in the Earth’s history strengthens the case for life existing elsewhere in the Universe because it would be extremely unlikely that life formed quickly on Earth but did not arise anywhere else,” they said.

The study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, is the most detailed ever conducted on microorganisms preserved in such ancient fossils.

© Copyright Original Source

The main thing is: the earlier life formed on Earth, the more likely life is to be common in the Universe. The signs of life are there even in our solar system. Excess methane on Mars. Liquid water on several of the moons of the Gas giants, and good indications there is substantial subsurface heat to provide energy for life like we find around Earth's hydro-thermal vents. Promising avenues for the potential for the elements of life to form in those circumstances, and advances in the understanding of where life can be as evidenced on our own planet.

NASA scientists are going out on a limb and saying they expect to find evidence for life elsewhere in the solar system in 20 or 30 years, based I think on this kind of evidence and the fact they are putting together probes that should be able to detect such life. We have no real idea if that will happen of course, but the trend is in that direction for sure. Time will tell. I don't see the point in trying to predict what we'll find, but the evidence is getting stronger that we can expect to find life in this solar system, and I think we should try to prove it out.

However, IF we do find microbial life say on Mars, that puts an entirely different sort of a spin on the idea of manned exploration of Mars, or any sort of sample/return mission. We would need to determine, rather forcefully I would think, that such 'microbes' could pose no danger to the Earth's biosphere.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment