Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Australia Finds Wreck of World War I Submarine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia Finds Wreck of World War I Submarine

Australia Finds Wreck of World War I Submarine, Solving a 103-Year Enigma

aussie sub.jpg

LONDON — For more than a century, the fate of Australia’s first military submarine was one of the country’s enduring maritime mysteries.

The vessel, lost off Papua New Guinea in September 1914, barely seven months after being commissioned for service, disappeared with 35 crew members during operations to capture the German Pacific colonies in World War I.

Now the puzzle is solved.

The Australian Navy announced on Thursday the discovery of a wreck they identified as the submarine, the AE1. The discovery was made by a survey ship, the Fugro Equator, that was used in another seemingly impossible endeavor: the search for the remains of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014.
    Oh, bacon and Hitler.

There.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Nice - wonder if they'll raise it?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It's 300 meters down, and supposedly "There are no plans to return AE1 to Australia, but work will now begin on trying to establish why it sank."

You'd kinda think they'd need to raise it to find that out, but presumably they'd do Remote Operated Vehicle stuff to study the hull for... one of the theories, apparently, is that one of its own torpedoes detonated in the sub.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Who was driving?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Nice - wonder if they'll raise it?
          They raised the Hundley and that one was about 150 years old. So maybe?
          We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It's 300 meters down, and supposedly "There are no plans to return AE1 to Australia, but work will now begin on trying to establish why it sank."

You'd kinda think they'd need to raise it to find that out, but presumably they'd do Remote Operated Vehicle stuff to study the hull for... one of the theories, apparently, is that one of its own torpedoes detonated in the sub.
            Oh, well maybe not . . .
            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
              They raised the Hundley and that one was about 150 years old. So maybe?
              Hunley. And she was only down about 10 meters.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X