Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

On the Horns of a Republican Dilemma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    While Senator for a few years her term as Secretary of State was pretty lackluster with supporters talking up things like how many miles she flew rather than any accomplishments. There are a lot of folks in the party far more accomplished and deserving of their "turn." Apparently the Hillary campaign seriously considered making "because its her turn" their official slogan.
    My objection to these kinds of statements is the slant they have been given. The title of the article says "toyed with." The body of the article says the idea was "floated around." But you report it as "seriously considered." I can find no report that this slogan was ever other than a passing vapor that was quickly rejected. Maybe we could just report it as it was reported, and not "slant" it?

BTW, it was rejected in favor of "better together," which was, IMO, fairly lame. The article also goes on to note that Hillary could never truly articulate a clear "why I am running" message, which is also pretty widely known to be true (and a serious problem). The claim that she never accepted reponsibility for her loss is, however, untrue. Read her book. It explores BOTH the things she believes she did and did not do that led to the loss (pretty candidly, actually), as well as the circumstances she could NOT control that contributed. The latter gets the most press, but occupies significantly less space than the former in the actual book.

Folks MIGHT want to consider going to the source, instead of just reading what the right (or left) distills out for its own purposes. I also deplore this practice I encounter regularly on extremist sites (Mother Jones and Jezebel do it as often as Brietbart and NationaReview, as far as I can tell) of mixing truth with exaggeration or just outright misinformation to make the latter easier to swallow.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 12-31-2017, 06:59 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Weel enough?
      It's not your weel house, eh?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        George Washington comes to mind. He famously resigned from the army after winning the war and only came back to politics years later after being convinced that he was necessary to unite the country.
        And IIRC his role model was a Roman named Cincinnatus, who was given supreme power twice and who immediately resigned that power the moment the crisis was over.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          George Washington comes to mind. He famously resigned from the army after winning the war and only came back to politics years later after being convinced that he was necessary to unite the country.
          I recall reading that part of the constitution were left vague because everyone knew Washington was going to be the first president and they trusted him to figure it out. Look how long the two term tradition held - about 140 years.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It's not your weel house, eh?
            I wondered when you were going to show up...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I wondered when you were going to show up...
              Was visiting a good friend in the hospital who got some bad news about his cancer.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Was visiting a good friend in the hospital who got some bad news about his cancer.
                3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  And IIRC his role model was a Roman named Cincinnatus, who was given supreme power twice and who immediately resigned that power the moment the crisis was over.
                  How cool! Ya larned me sumpfin, pahdnah!

Comment

Originally posted by LostSheep View Post
                    Thanks, Sheep -- just got a text that it's not as bad as they thought, but your ers are appreciated.

Comment

I'm sorry, CP. That's not a happy time. I will certainly keep you and your friend in my thoughts. If wishes can be prayers...you have them.

P.S. That glare was meant facetiously, not seriously...

Comment

I'm sorry, CP. That's not a happy time. I will certainly keep you and your friend in my thoughts. If wishes can be prayers...you have them.

P.S. That glare was meant facetiously, not seriously...
                        We're good, Carpe - so far, I have no reason to assume hostility on your part since we goof around a lot.

Comment

We're good, Carpe - so far, I have no reason to assume hostility on your part since we goof around a lot.
                          Indeed.

Only I'm better at it than you...

Comment

Indeed.

Only I'm better at it than you...
                            But I'm more humble than you by a long shot!

Comment

But I'm more humble than you by a long shot!
                              According to the current occupant of the WH - being humble is a losing position...

Comment

awww. it's a bromance.

Comment