Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: On Death and Donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: On Death and Donation

Could we be jumping the gun on organ donation?

The link can be found here.

----

For most of us, it's a no-brainer. You go to get a license or register to vote or something like that and you're asked if you want to be an organ donor. Why not? After all, once you die, you're not really going to need them. Might as well help someone out here? Scott Henderson certainly agrees with that, but at the same time, has a caution about the matter.*

This caution is relevant to those of us who are Christians because we want to be consistently pro-life. We would not want an innocent baby put to death to harvest its organs. What about someone who is possibly dying? Could it be that death is being pronounced too early just so we can get to the organs?

It's quite interesting that once when I was reading this, I took my wife to see the sleep doctor about some tests to see if she has sleep apnea. The doctor saw the image and asked about what I was reading. I told her and gave her some of the main thesis and she immediately replied that brain death is the time that someone is said to be definitively dead.

The problem for that is that's the very claim that Henderson goes on to question. Is brain death a settled matter? Could this be a question that needs a little bit more looking into?

Henderson looks at the history of organ transplants, focusing mainly on 1968. From there, he goes on to present what happened with the history and problems, such as how sometimes when organs have been in the process of being gathered, there is actually some resistance on the part of some patients. In this section, he mainly relies on medical scholarship.

People like myself will be much more interested in questions of dualism that he raises. This is where we get into if a person has a soul or not and what constitutes being a person. Henderson has said that he thinks that the organ donation issue is one where we are not consistently pro-life and we know the artificial category of being a human but not being a person has been used as a weapon against the pro-life community.*

Many people who are involved in pro-life apologetics will especially appreciate this section and I found it timely as I have been going through an advanced copy of Nancy Pearcey's*Love Thy Body on Kindle at the same time and she is making much of the problematic dualism we have, not arguing against the body/soul idea, but a radical disjunction between the two.

Henderson is not opposed to organ donation, as I know through personal conversation, but he is saying we want to make sure the person is truly dead first. Perhaps it is time to re-open this discussion. We want to make sure life is the best for all. Killing a patient early in one area can very easily lead to doing the same in other areas. There's no need to risk it.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

There's no need to risk it.
    On the contrary I do advocate organ donation. The cases where doctors have failed to identify brain death are very few.

Comment

Henderson isn't opposed to it either, but he does want us to be fully consistently pro-life.

Comment

I tend to be suspicious of the phrase "consistently pro-life". The phrase is traditionally used as a bludgeon against Christians who support capital punishment.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I tend to be suspicious of the phrase "consistently pro-life". The phrase is traditionally used as a bludgeon against Christians who support capital punishment.
          Myself being one of those, but I will be interviewing Scott Henderson on this on January 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            Henderson isn't opposed to it either, but he does want us to be fully consistently pro-life.
            That sounds a bit like the "I'm not against vaccines, but..." thing I hear from anti-vaxxers.

Is he on the organ donor list?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              That sounds a bit like the "I'm not against vaccines, but..." thing I hear from anti-vaxxers.

Is he on the organ donor list?
              I don't know, but when he told me his thesis the first time I asked if he was opposed to organ donation and he said no.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Which is why I have never claimed to be pro-life. I am anti-abortion, period.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Which is why I have never claimed to be pro-life. I am anti-abortion, period.
                  I mean the phrase "consistently pro-life", not just "pro-life". The latter term doesn't have that baggage.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment