Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Southern Poverty Law Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Poverty Law Center

I believe we've had some discussion of the SPLC lately. I found the link below to address many posts on that and other topics.

According to them saying Merry Christmas is hate speech. They are a joke.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2017...-its-hate-list
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

They are a disgusting collection of the worst of the worst sub-human filth.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Don't be a hater, now.

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

What makes you think the SPLC considers "Merry Christmas" hate speech? Did you actually read the article?
        Last edited by Psychic Missile; 12-29-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

The list isn't terms but hashtags. That is, they're not criticizing use of the phrase "Merry Christmas," but of a hash tag with that title.

However what it actually represents is hashtags used by groups on their list. From the article you pointed to: "Supporters of the SPLC suggest the organization wasn't itself adding "Merry Christmas" or "Jesus" to its hashtags hate list. They insist the SPLC was just keeping a tally of the hashtags that appear most often in the writings of groups on the hate list. They point out it's not all that strange that #merrychristmas and #jesus would suddenly appear more frequently around the Christmas holiday."

There's a certain "guilt by association" to keeping track of all hash tags used by hate groups. However I can seed it's something a group tracking their activity would do. But there's no claim that every hashtag used by those groups is for hate speech, and certainly there is no claim that using the term "Merry Christmas" is hate speech. So the title of the articles seems misleading.
          Last edited by hedrick; 12-29-2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            What makes you think the SPLC considers "Merry Christmas" hate speech? Did you actually read the article?
            The posters above are not that smart.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the SPLC.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

The SPLC is an organization who did great work in the 1970s and early 1980s, but has done nothing beyond parrot left-wing talking points since the mid-1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                  The SPLC is an organization who did great work in the 1970s and early 1980s, but has done nothing beyond parrot left-wing talking points since the mid-1980s.
                  Which isn't altogether true - Baxley did a far better job than they did.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Did they ever comment on Cayman Islands accounts of theirs??
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                      I was thinking the same.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I can't find "Merry Christmas" or "Jesus". Is this fake news?

At any rate those are hashtags that tend to be used by certain groups. Kinda how tracking works. If #drinkingmilk was used by racists (actually its a 4chan meme but never mind that), that wouldn't mean that SPLC means that "Drinking milk" is racist, but that white supremacists tended to use that tag.

Comment

Ah wait no, I found them.

Comment

John 15:18 "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first."

Comment