Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in zombies?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Do you believe in zombies?

The story of Jesus and his resurection is an ancient take on zombies. Along with the resurrected Jesus of course, Matthew also has many long dead people, aka zombies, climbing out of their respective graves after an earthquake opened them up. The zombies then walked about the town an appeared to many according to Paul. And how is it that they, the long dead saints, aka zombies, resurrected prior to the resurrection of Jesus? Wasn't he supposed to be first? I don't know, I could be wrong about that. But why is none of this in the other gospels? Why is there no thundering, earthquakes or resurrected zombies walking around mentioned in Mark, Luke or John? Seems like a pretty important part of the story to forget or leave out if true.

So, do you believe in zombies, do long dead people resurrect fully intact? And why is this astonishing event not mentioned anywhere other than in Matthew?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just out of curiosity, where do you get that the people who rose were "long dead"? (And I'm glad you left out the part where you claim they were chatting with the locals)

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    ...that long dead saints climbed out of their graves and went about town conversing with the folk ...

And, it's not unusual for one of the Gospel writers to have elements that are not found in the other Gospels. The "wise men", for example, are only reported by Matthew.

(Let's see if you're capable of non-snarky discussion, OK?)

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So JimL,

I take it that you would affirm that this account was not designed to appeal to the wisdom of the Greeks. Per chance can we consider that this was written to the attention of people who had seen such happenings so that the context of this would be understood in light of Christ's death and resurrection? I wouldn't think that Matthew's mention of this event was to prove to people in the 21st century that Jesus is Lord -- is that what you have been imagining here?

As far as zombie movies, I liked Shaun of the Dead.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where do you get that the people who rose were "long dead"? (And I'm glad you left out the part where you claim they were chatting with the locals)

And, it's not unusual for one of the Gospel writers to have elements that are not found in the other Gospels. The "wise men", for example, are only reported by Matthew.

(Let's see if you're capable of non-snarky discussion, OK?)
    vCwJBIc.jpg

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Unless you're willing to extend the concept of "zombie" to include anything involving resurrection, then no it's not an ancient take on zombies.

IMO, you can't have a discussion about zombies without mentioning Fido.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Of course it is, Dad, I'm just wondering where the "long dead" notion comes from. Matthew mentions these are the bodies of "the saints which slept", which would suggest they're followers of Christ who had died.

And I'm relaxing in front of the fire and Tweb is otherwise quite quiet today.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Of course it is, Dad, I'm just wondering where the "long dead" notion comes from. Matthew mentions these are the bodies of "the saints which slept", which would suggest they're followers of Christ who had died.

And I'm relaxing in front of the fire and Tweb is otherwise quite quiet today.
    Yeah, I know. I was kinda hoping no one would reply to the thread, and it would just sit here looking stupid. I think JimL gets off on people paying attention to him, even (or especially) when it's negative. Too late now though, I 'spose.

8. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Does it really matter how long they were dead, the point is that they were dead and buried. There were also many of them, so I think we can safely assume they didn't all just die recently. As far as chatting with the locals, they went to the holy city and appeared to many, to over 500 according to Paul, so I would assume someone must have spoken to them in that time. But no biggie one way or the other.

These are 2, and both in Matthew, but I think that earthquakes and many dead people climbing out of their respective graves and walking about town where they were seen by many is a pretty astonishing and important event to not be known and or recorded by the other gospel authors. Same with the 3 wise men for that matter.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Why do you consider it bait? You don't question it at all?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Unless you're willing to extend the concept of "zombie" to include anything involving resurrection, then no it's not an ancient take on zombies.

IMO, you can't have a discussion about zombies without mentioning Fido.
    Ah, that's what a zombie is, a revived or resurrected corpse. The many saints in Matthew's story, like Jesus himself, were revived, or resurrected corpses.