Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do you believe in zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe in zombies?

The story of Jesus and his resurection is an ancient take on zombies. Along with the resurrected Jesus of course, Matthew also has many long dead people, aka zombies, climbing out of their respective graves after an earthquake opened them up. The zombies then walked about the town an appeared to many according to Paul. And how is it that they, the long dead saints, aka zombies, resurrected prior to the resurrection of Jesus? Wasn't he supposed to be first? I don't know, I could be wrong about that. But why is none of this in the other gospels? Why is there no thundering, earthquakes or resurrected zombies walking around mentioned in Mark, Luke or John? Seems like a pretty important part of the story to forget or leave out if true.

So, do you believe in zombies, do long dead people resurrect fully intact? And why is this astonishing event not mentioned anywhere other than in Matthew?

Just out of curiosity, where do you get that the people who rose were "long dead"? (And I'm glad you left out the part where you claim they were chatting with the locals)
    Originally posted by JimL View Post
    ...that long dead saints climbed out of their graves and went about town conversing with the folk ...

And, it's not unusual for one of the Gospel writers to have elements that are not found in the other Gospels. The "wise men", for example, are only reported by Matthew.

(Let's see if you're capable of non-snarky discussion, OK?)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So JimL,

I take it that you would affirm that this account was not designed to appeal to the wisdom of the Greeks. Per chance can we consider that this was written to the attention of people who had seen such happenings so that the context of this would be understood in light of Christ's death and resurrection? I wouldn't think that Matthew's mention of this event was to prove to people in the 21st century that Jesus is Lord -- is that what you have been imagining here?

As far as zombie movies, I liked Shaun of the Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Just out of curiosity, where do you get that the people who rose were "long dead"? (And I'm glad you left out the part where you claim they were chatting with the locals)

And, it's not unusual for one of the Gospel writers to have elements that are not found in the other Gospels. The "wise men", for example, are only reported by Matthew.

(Let's see if you're capable of non-snarky discussion, OK?)
        vCwJBIc.jpg

Comment

Unless you're willing to extend the concept of "zombie" to include anything involving resurrection, then no it's not an ancient take on zombies.

IMO, you can't have a discussion about zombies without mentioning Fido.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]25716[/ATTACH]
            Of course it is, Dad, I'm just wondering where the "long dead" notion comes from. Matthew mentions these are the bodies of "the saints which slept", which would suggest they're followers of Christ who had died.

And I'm relaxing in front of the fire and Tweb is otherwise quite quiet today.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Of course it is, Dad, I'm just wondering where the "long dead" notion comes from. Matthew mentions these are the bodies of "the saints which slept", which would suggest they're followers of Christ who had died.

Yeah, I know. I was kinda hoping no one would reply to the thread, and it would just sit here looking stupid. I think JimL gets off on people paying attention to him, even (or especially) when it's negative. Too late now though, I 'spose.

Comment

Does it really matter how long they were dead, the point is that they were dead and buried. There were also many of them, so I think we can safely assume they didn't all just die recently. As far as chatting with the locals, they went to the holy city and appeared to many, to over 500 according to Paul, so I would assume someone must have spoken to them in that time. But no biggie one way or the other.

These are 2, and both in Matthew, but I think that earthquakes and many dead people climbing out of their respective graves and walking about town where they were seen by many is a pretty astonishing and important event to not be known and or recorded by the other gospel authors. Same with the 3 wise men for that matter.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25716[/ATTACH]
                  Why do you consider it bait? You don't question it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    Unless you're willing to extend the concept of "zombie" to include anything involving resurrection, then no it's not an ancient take on zombies.

IMO, you can't have a discussion about zombies without mentioning Fido.
                    Ah, that's what a zombie is, a revived or resurrected corpse. The many saints in Matthew's story, like Jesus himself, were revived, or resurrected corpses.

Comment

Yeah, I know. I was kinda hoping no one would reply to the thread, and it would just sit here looking stupid. I think JimL gets off on people paying attention to him, even (or especially) when it's negative. Too late now though, I 'spose.
                      Well, it just seems like an attempt to make an already remarkable story even weirder by adding "details" that are not included in the report. And the whole "zombie" thing - there's nothing to indicate that they stumbled about like zombies, or that they interacted with locals.

I do give judos (laughing - I meant kudos, but that was funny, so I'll leave it) to JimL for appearing to reply in a non-snarky manner!

I think that he messes up, though, by having Paul mention that they (the alleged zombies) appeared to "over 500" (that, of course, was Christ, not the "zombies" - 1 Cor 15:3-6), and assuming that the number of wise men was 3 (could have been 2 or 5 or "a bunch").

I guess I'm just going to assume that the addition of "long dead" is simply an attempt to make an already remarkable story sound even more difficult to believe.

Again, it appears that JimL was actually responding in a civil manner.

Comment

Why do you consider it bait? You don't question it at all?
                        A zombie is a corpse animated and controlled by sorcery (or a virus in more modern takes) not a resurrected person. it's obv bait because the inherent dishonesty in using the term to refer to the latter serves no purpose other than to annoy.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Ah, that's what a zombie is, a revived or resurrected corpse. The many saints in Matthew's story, like Jesus himself, were revived, or resurrected corpses.
                          A zombie is a reanimated corpse, not a resurrected corpse. This is just a misuse of the word.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

Comment

Dead and buried is dead CP no matter how long they've been dead. Are you suggesting that they were all buried alive or something? What's your point?

Comment