Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do you believe in zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Not that I knew of it when I made the post, but 37818 noted that there is a strong interconnection between blood and soul.

There are at least four OT references with contextual affinity, where soul is translated as life: Gen 9:4; Lev 17:11,14; Deut 12:23
    37818 post is goofiness as far as I can tell. He's over-literalizing the passage to make it read as if the soul actually lives inside of the blood or some such nonsense, or as though the blood had some intrinsic power on it's own to hold the soul in place. The passage is simply pointing out something that ought to be obvious to anyone, especially in that culture, that if an animal or human bleeds out they die. The blood is symbolic of life, it isn't literally a life essence. He's also feeding right into skeptics hands by asserting that the resurrection body does not have blood. I don't know if that's true or not, but I don't know of any passage that makes that sort of connection with the exception of 1 Cor. 15:50. But that's, again, an over-literal reading of the phrase "flesh and blood". Paul is saying something a bit more nuanced there; As N.T. Wright puts it, "the phrase sarx kaihaima functions as a composite technical terms precisely for corruptible, mortal existence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      37818 post is goofiness as far as I can tell. He's over-literalizing the passage to make it read as if the soul actually lives inside of the blood or some such nonsense, or as though the blood had some intrinsic power on it's own to hold the soul in place. The passage is simply pointing out something that ought to be obvious to anyone, especially in that culture, that if an animal or human bleeds out they die. The blood is symbolic of life, it isn't literally a life essence. He's also feeding right into skeptics hands by asserting that the resurrection body does not have blood. I don't know if that's true or not, but I don't know of any passage that makes that sort of connection with the exception of 1 Cor. 15:50. But that's, again, an over-literal reading of the phrase "flesh and blood". Paul is saying something a bit more nuanced there; As N.T. Wright puts it, "the phrase sarx kaihaima functions as a composite technical terms precisely for corruptible, mortal existence."
      So, Where do you say the soul/spirit lives or resides inside the body?

Comment

Just a couple weeks ago a co-worker actually forwarded that argument saying that was why he only ate kosher and cooked all meat well done

Smiley squirrel.gif XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX HAPPY SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Smiley squirrel.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          So, Where do you say the soul/spirit lives or resides inside the body?
          The soul/spirit is not material, so your question doesn't make any sense. We can't say any more than that it is associated with the body somehow.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Just a couple weeks ago a co-worker actually forwarded that argument saying that was why he only ate kosher and cooked all meat well done

Comment

Yeah. Even worse he got a few people agreeing him and for once I was actually at a loss for words being so dumbstruck at the inanity of the statement.

Smiley squirrel.gif XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx HAPPY SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx Smiley squirrel.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I did not assign credence to 37818's conclusions - it was simply a matter of trying to clarify what I meant by "permeate."
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  The soul/spirit is not material, so your question doesn't make any sense.
                  Neither does the existence of an immaterial soul make any sense; there is no way for an immaterial entity to connect with the material body. There’s no nexus.

We can't say any more than that it is associated with the body somehow.
                  So you believe but there is no verifiable evidence that this is so. There is no good reason to think that we are any more than the behaviours and knowledge generated by our brain, one cannot be separated from that. You are no more than what the brain is doing and when the brain ceases activity so do you.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    Neither does the existence of an immaterial soul make any sense; there is no way for an immaterial entity to connect with the material body. There’s no nexus.

So you believe but there is no verifiable evidence that this is so. There is no good reason to think that we are any more than the behaviours and knowledge generated by our brain, one cannot be separated from that. You are no more than what the brain is doing and when the brain ceases activity so do you.
                    Your opinion is duly noted.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Your opinion is duly noted.
                      Why?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Why?
                        Because I said so!

sigpic

Comment

The soul/spirit is not material, so your question doesn't make any sense. We can't say any more than that it is associated with the body somehow.
                          Well it's you OBP, not me, that asserts that the body is just a house of sorts for the spirit. There are really only two options, the spirit is either in the body or it operates it from without like a puppeteer. So if your belief is that the soul is in the body, then where in the body is it?

Comment

Well it's you OBP, not me, that asserts that the body is just a house of sorts for the spirit. There are really only two options, the spirit is either in the body or it operates it from without like a puppeteer. So if your belief is that the soul is in the body, then where in the body is it?
                            It's got to be in one of the toes, otherwise why in Heaven and on earth would stubbing your toe hurt so much? The little toe, definitely.
                            Last edited by Zymologist; 01-22-2018, 09:23 AM.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Where is the wind?
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Where is the wind?
                                It depends which wind you're talking about, sometimes it's in your lungs.

Comment