Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in zombies?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Yeah, I know. I was kinda hoping no one would reply to the thread, and it would just sit here looking stupid. I think JimL gets off on people paying attention to him, even (or especially) when it's negative. Too late now though, I 'spose.
    Well, it just seems like an attempt to make an already remarkable story even weirder by adding "details" that are not included in the report. And the whole "zombie" thing - there's nothing to indicate that they stumbled about like zombies, or that they interacted with locals.

I do give judos (laughing - I meant kudos, but that was funny, so I'll leave it) to JimL for appearing to reply in a non-snarky manner!

I think that he messes up, though, by having Paul mention that they (the alleged zombies) appeared to "over 500" (that, of course, was Christ, not the "zombies" - 1 Cor 15:3-6), and assuming that the number of wise men was 3 (could have been 2 or 5 or "a bunch").

I guess I'm just going to assume that the addition of "long dead" is simply an attempt to make an already remarkable story sound even more difficult to believe.

Again, it appears that JimL was actually responding in a civil manner.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Why do you consider it bait? You don't question it at all?
    A zombie is a corpse animated and controlled by sorcery (or a virus in more modern takes) not a resurrected person. it's obv bait because the inherent dishonesty in using the term to refer to the latter serves no purpose other than to annoy.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ah, that's what a zombie is, a revived or resurrected corpse. The many saints in Matthew's story, like Jesus himself, were revived, or resurrected corpses.
    A zombie is a reanimated corpse, not a resurrected corpse. This is just a misuse of the word.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

4. Amen NorrinRadd, RumTumTugger, Leonhard amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Unless you're willing to extend the concept of "zombie" to include anything involving resurrection, then no it's not an ancient take on zombies.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

6. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Of course it is, Dad, I'm just wondering where the "long dead" notion comes from. Matthew mentions these are the bodies of "the saints which slept", which would suggest they're followers of Christ who had died.

And I'm relaxing in front of the fire and Tweb is otherwise quite quiet today.
    Dead and buried is dead CP no matter how long they've been dead. Are you suggesting that they were all buried alive or something? What's your point?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Dead and buried is dead CP no matter how long they've been dead. Are you suggesting that they were all buried alive or something? What's your point?
    Well, so much for....

Again, it appears that JimL was actually responding in a civil manner.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Yeah, I shouldn't have responded to the thread.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

10. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    A zombie is a corpse animated and controlled by sorcery (or a virus in more modern takes) not a resurrected person. it's obv bait because the inherent dishonesty in using the term to refer to the latter serves no purpose other than to annoy.
    Semantics Darth. A reanimated corpse is a resurrected corpse. But by what name you want to apply to the risen saints is irrelevant. They were many, they were dead and buried, and they all climbed out of their graves fully intact and strolled into town. The question is do you believe that long dead and buried people climbed out of their graves and walked about town? And if so, why was such a remarkable story, as CP put it, not told by Mark, Luke or John?

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    A zombie is a reanimated corpse, not a resurrected corpse. This is just a misuse of the word.

It's also blasphemy when referring to Christ, so Jim better be careful.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, so much for....

Well, now I see the problem you have CP, you consider the above to be uncivil. Perhaps you can explain?