Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do you believe in zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You know full well it's not. You allegedly grew up in Christianity. There is no reasonable person who grew up in Christianity who would label the resurrected ones zombies.
    Don't let the term upset you. Its just a term. A dead body brought back to life by supernatural powers is defined as a zombie.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
      Likening the resurrection body to zombification is misinformed at best and dishonest at worst.
      How are they different, and how would you know the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Every time I see this thread I can't help but sing the title in my head to the tune of "Do you believe in magic."
        And do you?

Comment

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post494015

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post494222

Comment

r8X6b6T.jpg
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Don't let the term upset you.
              It doesn't.
              Its just a term.
              As it happens, it's an incorrect term for anything described in the bible.
              A dead body brought back to life by supernatural powers is defined as a zombie.
              Nope. A zombie is a dead body reanimated by and under the control of a sorcerer. Zombies are not brought back to life, and they do not act independently. Even AD&D gets the distinction.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm pretty sure Lucas the Magnificent is satirical, but oh it's good.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Ah, that's what a zombie is, a revived or resurrected corpse. The many saints in Matthew's story, like Jesus himself, were revived, or resurrected corpses.
                  Um, no, a zombie is not a 'revived' corpse - that's nonsense. It's also not a resurrected corpse because it would then be a living person and a zombie (in the modern representation) is a form of undead.

Zombies can also be defined as people under a particular form of mind control - that's an older, rarely used understanding, however.

A resurrected person is a living person who was previously dead - exactly like a resuscitated person, the distinction being the length and presumed irreversibility of the death (again, modern understanding since such resuscitation was not possible in former times). A person who is clinically dead but is successfully resuscitated is not a zombie. Neither is a resurrected person.

I do not believe in the existence of undead creatures including zombies. I do believe that an omnipotent God is perfectly capable of resurrecting the dead.

I do not accept naturalism as a world view - which is why I don't find your argument even mildly convincing.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Um, no, a zombie is not a 'revived' corpse - that's nonsense. It's also not a resurrected corpse because it would then be a living person and a zombie (in the modern representation) is a form of undead.

Zombies can also be defined as people under a particular form of mind control - that's an older, rarely used understanding, however.

A resurrected person is a living person who was previously dead - exactly like a resuscitated person, the distinction being the length and presumed irreversibility of the death (again, modern understanding since such resuscitation was not possible in former times). A person who is clinically dead but is successfully resuscitated is not a zombie. Neither is a resurrected person.

I do not believe in the existence of undead creatures including zombies. I do believe that an omnipotent God is perfectly capable of resurrecting the dead.

I do not accept naturalism as a world view - which is why I don't find your argument even mildly convincing.

Lesson learned...Don't feed the trolls.

Comment

Okay, okay, so zombie offends ya'll. We'll just call them resurrected then. So, back to my original question. Do you all actually believe this story of Matthew's to be literal, and if so, how do you explain such an astonishing event not being mentioned by neither Mark, Luke, or John?
                      Last edited by JimL; 12-30-2017, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Okay, okay, so zombie offends ya'll. We'll just call them resurrected then. So, back to my original question. Do you all actually believe this story of Matthew's to be literal, and if so, how do you explain such an astonishing event not being mentioned by neither Mark, Luke, or John?
                        Nor was such a stupendous event mentioned in any of the secular histories of the day...nor was the supposed renting of the temple veil in twain and nor was the supposed earthquake that so impressed the centurion. These were all highly dramatic events by ANY standard which, if true, would surely have warranted a mention in the contemporary literature. More likely they were folk tales invented by the faithful living in a credulous age so as to highlight the significance of Jesus' life and death. In short, they were stories designed to impress.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Yes.

Only Matt directs his Gospel to the Jews - who, by the way, would have been able to debunk the claim, unlike the Romans in Rome.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

Lesson learned...Don't feed the trolls.
                            who's angry? I think everyone is showing JimL's OP to be truely waht it is a Huge Nothing Burger.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                              who's angry? I think everyone is showing JimL's OP to be truely waht it is a Huge Nothing Burger.
                              Oh, I don't think anyone here is angry either. I do think that people who troll want to make people angry though.

On a side point, what is up with the phrase "nothing burger"? Where did that come from all of a sudden? I hear people saying it all the time now. It's the strangest expression.

Comment