Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do you believe in zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Perhaps you're unaware that each of the Gospels was from a different writer with a different perspective to a different audiences. If they all wrote the same thing, we wouldn't need four of them. John basically coves 7 "signs", and doesn't cover a lot of things the synoptic gospels cover.

Kudos, though, for more properly referring to them as 'the resurrected saints'.
    Obviously I understand that the gospels have different authors, that's why I asked the question "why didn't the other authors mention such a remarkable event?" This, if it were true, would be quite the ommision for an historian to omit. Besides, they did all write about the same things, the same events,they all wrote about the crucifixion, but only Matthew wrote about the earthquakes and the resurrected saints at the crucifixion.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Obviously I understand that the gospels have different authors, that's why I asked the question "why didn't the other authors mention such a remarkable event?" This, if it were true, would be quite the ommision for an historian to omit. Besides, they did all write about the same things, the same events,they all wrote about the crucifixion, but only Matthew wrote about the earthquakes and the resurrected saints at the crucifixion.
      Since you're so interested in what each of the Gospel writers wrote, here's a fairly good comparison showing that John wrote about a whole bunch of things the others did not, and some things were recorded by all four. The synoptic Gospel writers often wrote about things John didn't reference at all. Luke wrote about some things none of the others did, as did Matthew and Mark.

They all talk about Jesus, which is the real focus of the NT, Jim.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That doesn't explain why such a real life event such as earthquakes and many saints climbing out of their graves wasn't mentioned by the other three gospel authors, not to mention secular historians of the time. Why do you think they neglected to mention it?
        They didn't include a lot of things - usually as relevant to their particular audiences. Here, Matt alone addresses the Jews and includes details they could have easily debunked. It supports Matt's theses where it would be extraneous to the others who are addressed to peoples further away or, as with John, have a different purpose.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Oh, I don't think anyone here is angry either. I do think that people who troll want to make people angry though.

On a side point, what is up with the phrase "nothing burger"? Where did that come from all of a sudden? I hear people saying it all the time now. It's the strangest expression.
          It is from a project veritas undercover video where Van Jones from CNN(I think it was one of the videos in their Amerian Pravda ) said that the trump russia collusion controversy was a big nothing burger

about 1:46 is when the phrase is used
          Last edited by RumTumTugger; 12-30-2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I've wondered the same thing about nothingburger. I've seen it used by Hillary describing the email scandal, but it apparently goes way back to the '50's and '60's. Hollywood gossip columnist Louella Parsons used it to describe a person or idea that's essentially a whole lot of nothing. Then it was picked up by Cosmopolitan editor Helen Gurley Brown.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25730[/ATTACH]
            See my reply to Adrift

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              See my reply to Adrift
              That's a revival of the term - it was used back when I was a kid, just not as frequently. Of course, I didn't have internetzweb back then.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That doesn't explain why such a real life event such as earthquakes and many saints climbing out of their graves wasn't mentioned by the other three gospel authors, not to mention secular historians of the time. Why do you think they neglected to mention it?
                Obviously because they didn't believe in zombies either. Checkm8 Christians!
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                  Likening the resurrection body to zombification is misinformed at best and dishonest at worst.
                  No, dishonest at best and more likely intentionally blasphemous.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Since you're so interested in what each of the Gospel writers wrote, here's a fairly good comparison showing that John wrote about a whole bunch of things the others did not, and some things were recorded by all four. The synoptic Gospel writers often wrote about things John didn't reference at all. Luke wrote about some things none of the others did, as did Matthew and Mark.

They all talk about Jesus, which is the real focus of the NT, Jim.
                    Still doesn't explain why they would neglect to record such a remarkable event, unless you're suggesting that they had no idea it happened? Is that what you are suggesting?

Comment

Jim, why did you start this thread using the word "zombies"?

Frankly you know we consider it blasphemous when referring to Christ. You are not engaging honestly here.

Give me one good reason why I shouldn't delete this thread and point you for blasphemy.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        To start, it needs to be noted that the notion of some sort strict separation of secular and sectarian is totally missing in the ancient world. There are no strictly "secular" sources -- none. There are of course non-Biblical sources but none of them would qualify as being "secular"

Now, very, very little exists in way of contemporary sources from the middle of the first century A.D. As the historian Edward Musgrave Blaiklock put it: "From the forties A.D., through the sixties, very little survives. Bookends set a foot apart on this desk where I write would enclose the works from those significant years." IOW, the reason we have a lack of extant non-biblical documentation is due to nothing more than a lack of extant non-biblical information -- about anything.

And keep in mind that we don't have any contemporary accounts concerning Hannibal which in your world means he never existed and everything he did is some sort of fairy tale. The same goes for the assassination of Caesar since it wasn't until a half a century later that we have the first written account.
                        There are other factors corroborating such events as Caesar’s assassination and Hannibal’s crossing of the Alps. Such corroboration doesn’t exist for the alleged “resurrection of the saints”, which was beyond merely extraordinary by anyone’s standards. Unlike Caesar and Hannibal, which were natural events, the resurrection of bodies allegedly seen by many don’t rate a mention anywhere except in one gospel, which was written some 50 to 60 years after the events and very likely subject to embellishment. Nor do the surrounding natural events such as the renting of the temple veil and alleged earthquake. In short, there’s no good reason to believe any of it.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

That's a revival of the term - it was used back when I was a kid, just not as frequently. Of course, I didn't have internetzweb back then.
                          But we had that cool telephone made from two cans, two buttons and a length of string

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            Jim, why did you start this thread using the word "zombies"?

Frankly you know we consider it blasphemous when referring to Christ. You are not engaging honestly here.
                            Well there's a surprise

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            Give me one good reason why I shouldn't delete this thread and point you for blasphemy.
                            Because I made two posts that I've bookmarked for later use.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Because I made two posts that I've bookmarked for later use.
                              Save 'em in a text file.

Comment

But we had that cool telephone made from two cans, two buttons and a length of string
                                And when we ran some of Mom's paraffin up and down that string, it made for high speed data!

Comment