Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Papal Infallibility

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Questions About Papal Infallibility

Not interested in a debate - just looking for information.

Play nice!

Okay, my understanding is that the formal doctrine of papal infallibility is a relative late comer and that it concerns matters of doctrine only (the pope's doctrine is infallible but his church history can be way off). I have the following questions about it:
    1) Is it retroactive?
    2) If so, what about times when there were more than one claimant to the papacy?
    3) If not, why not? Why are only modern popes infallible?
    4) Where does it come from officially (what document or documents)?

Thank you!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

3. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    1) Is it retroactive?
    Yes.

2) If so, what about times when there were more than one claimant to the papacy?
    One was real the other were fakes.

4) Where does it come from officially (what document or documents)?
    1st Vatican Council.

Source: Decrees of the First Vatican Council

we teach and define as a divinely revealed dogma that
    when the Roman pontiff speaks EX CATHEDRA,
    that is, when,
    in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians,
    in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority,
    he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole church,
    he possesses,
    by the divine assistance promised to him in blessed Peter,
    that infallibility which the divine Redeemer willed his church to enjoy in defining doctrine concerning faith or morals.
    Therefore, such definitions of the Roman pontiff are of themselves, and not by the consent of the church, irreformable.

© Copyright Original Source

As stated, its only when a pope speaks ex cathedra that his utterances are considered infallible (read - irreformable), and binding on all believers as a matter of faith. This has happened only two times in history though.

5. Amen Terraceth amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Yes.

1st Vatican Council.

Source: Decrees of the First Vatican Council

we teach and define as a divinely revealed dogma that
    when the Roman pontiff speaks EX CATHEDRA,
    that is, when,
    in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians,
    in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority,
    he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole church,
    he possesses,
    by the divine assistance promised to him in blessed Peter,
    that infallibility which the divine Redeemer willed his church to enjoy in defining doctrine concerning faith or morals.
    Therefore, such definitions of the Roman pontiff are of themselves, and not by the consent of the church, irreformable.

© Copyright Original Source

Thanks!

As stated, its only when a pope speaks ex cathedra that his utterances are considered infallible (read - irreformable), and binding on all believers as a matter of faith. This has happened only two times in history though.
    Um, wait, what? The pope has only spoken in the exercise of his office twice in history? Or does ex catherdra have another meaning?

Faith
    Begome Ordodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Thanks!

Um, wait, what? The pope has only spoken in the exercise of his office twice in history? Or does ex catherdra have another meaning?
    It's not whenever the pope speaks. He first has to speak about faith/morals (e.g. the pope can't be infallible concerning science). Second, he cannot be outright contradicting already defined infallible Catholic doctrine (e.g. he cannot suddenly decide to switch the official Catholic doctrine on the Incarnation to Arianism). He has to be speaking from the chair, invoking his place as Peter's successor. It's actually an absurdly narrow doctrine and Catholics are divided on how many time it has actually been used. There are various lists that run around of which statements were infallibly given. The most common I have seen are six or seven though I think I've seen at least one person who believed it was in the double digits (fifteen, maybe? but I could be remembering wrong). Some, like Leon above, will cite fewer.

Papal encyclicals are generally not considered speaking in the pope's infallible capacity. Tbh, I think modern popes avoid trying to invoke papal infallibility for most things they say, unless they're citing one of the widely accepted infallible doctrines.

Grain of salt: I go to an Orthodox church; I am not Catholic.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

8. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    What bugs me about this is the general post facto nature of these sorts of declarations, by the winning side. I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of "anti-popes" which is essentially a whitewash of the papal list.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    What bugs me about this is the general post facto nature of these sorts of declarations, by the winning side. I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of "anti-popes" which is essentially a whitewash of the papal list.
    I have a great sympathy for what you're saying, but its quite beyond me to argue either way. In the end a similar situation is had with regards to what we now consider to be heresies of Christianity, with what believe to be true to the be true faith. The history of the church is long and messy.

I'm just living in it and hoping and praying for salvation.

11. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewriteranon View Post
    It's not whenever the pope speaks. He first has to speak about faith/morals (e.g. the pope can't be infallible concerning science). Second, he cannot be outright contradicting already defined infallible Catholic doctrine (e.g. he cannot suddenly decide to switch the official Catholic doctrine on the Incarnation to Arianism). He has to be speaking from the chair, invoking his place as Peter's successor. It's actually an absurdly narrow doctrine and Catholics are divided on how many time it has actually been used. There are various lists that run around of which statements were infallibly given. The most common I have seen are six or seven though I think I've seen at least one person who believed it was in the double digits (fifteen, maybe? but I could be remembering wrong). Some, like Leon above, will cite fewer.

Papal encyclicals are generally not considered speaking in the pope's infallible capacity. Tbh, I think modern popes avoid trying to invoke papal infallibility for most things they say, unless they're citing one of the widely accepted infallible doctrines.

Grain of salt: I go to an Orthodox church; I am not Catholic.
    Okay, I think I get it.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewriteranon View Post
    My understanding is that there are two cases where it was definitely ex cathedra (and were cited as such by the Catholic church itself), but then there were some other statements given before those two that people have argued also fall under ex cathedra, but the Catholic church itself hasn't officially confirmed as being as such.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I find hilarious the people who claim that the Catholic Church is infallible, yet also claim that all the popes since Vatican II were fake popes and that the papacy is empty. The whole premise of Roman Catholicism is supposed to be that the Roman church is infallible.
    Last edited by Obsidian; 01-02-2018 at 06:53 PM.

15. Amen The Remonstrant amen'd this post.