Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

1st century fragment of Mark -- Not what it's purported to be according to some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st century fragment of Mark -- Not what it's purported to be according to some

This post I suppose is mainly directed to AP, who if I'm not mistaken said in another thread that the 1st century fragment of Mark that's been announced but not yet disclosed to the world is not what it's purported to be according to several Christians.

I'm a bit of an archaeology nut and I was wondering why some would think this. Can anyone who's heard of this idea (or agrees with it) please give their argument for lack of authenticity here?

I have sent a PM to AP regarding this thread.
    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Could this refer to Dead Sea Scroll fragment 7Q5, a Greek fragment which Spanish papyrologist Jose O'Callaghan claims contains Mark 6:52-53? It sounds a little farfetched to think that a Christian document would be among the scrolls.

See https://www.preteristarchive.com/Bib.../7Q5_mark.html
    When I Survey....

Comment

No, definitely a different fragment. The one LS refers to comes from mummy packing material.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I heard about the fragment some time back, and what I really want to know is why everyone seems so hush-hush about it. Has anyone dated it yet?
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          I heard about the fragment some time back, and what I really want to know is why everyone seems so hush-hush about it. Has anyone dated it yet?
          Everyone is hush-hush about it because they were required to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Everyone is hush-hush about it because they were required to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
            I know. I'm asking why.
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                I know. I'm asking why.
                Because the Green Collection, which is the name of the private collection of the founders of Hobby Lobby, want to make sure that all of their i's are dotted and t's are crossed before publishing their findings. They've been working intensely with a number of reputable archaeologists and scholars to get this just right, but have already gotten flack, mostly for the process used to come by the texts, which involved the destruction of mummy masks. But archaeology is a destructive process, and there really isn't any way around it. I think there was also a lot of nervousness about dates after the whole gospel of Jesus' wife hoax.

Comment