Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Spiritual Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiritual Decline

“The spiritual decline of the earth has progressed so far that peoples are in danger of losing their last spiritual strength, the strength that makes it possible even to see the decline.” — Martin Heidegger

I identify with this. I feel so lost in the thorns and weeds that I'm losing my grasp on the spiritual. Certainly the world is so material that it denies the spiritual even exists. Sadly even churches are more concerned with being successful in this world than prepared for eternity.

I know its said people are more spiritual and less religious. As I look into this spiritually, it looks to me like more like self-esteem affirming than actual connection to spirituality. There is no God present.

I am conscious of my limits and how I can't do it all. I am conscious that everything and everyone in this world will die. I want a better connection to the eternal, the spiritual, to my eternal Father, Savior, and Holy Spirit.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

You kinda remind me of Longfellow's....

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
    Their old, familiar carols play,

and wild and sweet
    The words repeat

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And thought how, as the day had come,
    The belfries of all Christendom

Had rolled along
    The unbroken song

Till ringing, singing on its way,
    The world revolved from night to day,

A voice, a chime,
    A chant sublime

Then from each black, accursed mouth
    The cannon thundered in the South,

And with the sound
    The carols drowned

It was as if an earthquake rent
    The hearth-stones of a continent,

And made forlorn
    The households born

And in despair I bowed my head;
    "There is no peace on earth," I said;

"For hate is strong,
    And mocks the song

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
    "God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;

The Wrong shall fail,
    The Right prevail,

With peace on earth, good-will to men."
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Aside from that, I can identify with a lot of what you say, but "occupy til I come" comes to mind --- just keep busy doing the things the Lord told us to do, and be faithful in obedience.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Aside from that, I can identify with a lot of what you say, but "occupy til I come" comes to mind --- just keep busy doing the things the Lord told us to do, and be faithful in obedience.
        We should be busy. Maybe its as simple that I wish I would get a little pat on the back from God meaning "Well done." I think everyone knows a job goes better when the boss gives some encouragement.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          We should be busy. Maybe its as simple that I wish I would get a little pat on the back from God meaning "Well done." I think everyone knows a job goes better when the boss gives some encouragement.
          Our reward is 'out of this world', man!

Comment

I am conscious of my limits and how I can't do it all. I am conscious that everything and everyone in this world will die. I want a better connection to the eternal, the spiritual, to my eternal Father, Savior, and Holy Spirit. [par. 4]
            Let no one dissuade you in this pursuit. As there is a worldly form of discontentedness, there is just as assuredly a kind of spiritual discontentment (or lack of settledness) that can spur the sojourner onwards until s/he reaches the heavenly homeland.
            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

“The spiritual decline of the earth has progressed so far that peoples are in danger of losing their last spiritual strength, the strength that makes it possible even to see the decline.” — Martin Heidegger

I identify with this. I feel so lost in the thorns and weeds that I'm losing my grasp on the spiritual. Certainly the world is so material that it denies the spiritual even exists. Sadly even churches are more concerned with being successful in this world than prepared for eternity.

I know its said people are more spiritual and less religious. As I look into this spiritually, it looks to me like more like self-esteem affirming than actual connection to spirituality. There is no God present.

I am conscious of my limits and how I can't do it all. I am conscious that everything and everyone in this world will die. I want a better connection to the eternal, the spiritual, to my eternal Father, Savior, and Holy Spirit.
              I think we can reach a point where we take our spiritual lives/health for granted. We disbelieve or neglect the fact that we can draw upon the power of the Holy Spirit to overcome various forms of addictions and neuroses. We may find ourselves spending inordinate amounts of time engaging in nonsense, meanwhile our bible reading and prayer life is getting very little attention. We may de-emphasize the existence of the spiritual realm to our detriment.

I find teaching/testimonies by ex-New Agers, spiritualists, etc. to be refreshing at times as they've usually experienced profound interactions with the spiritual realm and their testimonies and so forth can rouse us from spiritual slumber.

Now of course we can over-emphasize the spiritual world and focus on that which we ought not to, but if we have our spiritual lives in order, generally that will be reflected in our day-to-day living, and we will be equipped to live a well-rounded life, God-honoring life.

Comment

I want a better connection to the eternal, the spiritual, to my eternal Father, Savior, and Holy Spirit.
                Be satisfied with what he has given you.

Remember what he told Paul: “'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Too many today want more and that has led some into dubious areas.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Be satisfied with what he has given you.

Remember what he told Paul: “'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Too many today want more and that has led some into dubious areas.
                  Eph. 1:3:

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                    Now of course we can over-emphasize the spiritual world and focus on that which we ought not to, but if we have our spiritual lives in order, generally that will be reflected in our day-to-day living, and we will be equipped to live a well-rounded life, God-honoring life.
                    Certainly this is easier said than done. What is a well-rounded life?

I have been thinking about this thread and as I read through it I saw their was a lot of emphasis on doing. Certainly we are called to serve our Lord and God. Yet as best I can recall, Jesus never called the Pharisees lazy. I think sometimes we mistake our doing for serving.

There are two errors to avoid: "Being so earthly minded that we're of no heavenly use" and "Being so heavenly minded that we're of no earthly use." I think doing can lead to the first error.

I guess my questions come down to: how do you help someone who is busy doing but is spiritually empty? Let's assume its not a salvation or sin issue.

If a Biblical story helps, think about Jesus' encounter with the rich, young ruler.
                    Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 01-28-2018, 03:17 PM. Reason: Added reference to rich young ruler

Comment