Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Biblical account confirmed by archaeological find

  1. #1
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,890
    Amen (Given)
    4836
    Amen (Received)
    8758

    Biblical account confirmed by archaeological find

    Source: Discovery confirms Biblical account of Jerusalem

    Israeli archaeologists unveiled on Monday a 2,700-year-old clay seal impression which they said belonged to a biblical governor of Jerusalem.

    The artifact, inscribed in an ancient Hebrew script as "belonging to the governor of the city", was likely attached to a shipment or sent as a souvenir on behalf of the governor, the most prominent local position held in Jerusalem at the time, the Israel Antiquities Authority said.

    The impression, the size of a small coin, depicts two standing men, facing each other in a mirror-like manner and wearing striped garments reaching down to their knees. It was unearthed near the plaza of Judaism's Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem.

    "It supports the Biblical rendering of the existence of a governor of the city in Jerusalem 2,700 years ago," an Antiquities Authority statement quoted excavator Shlomit Weksler-Bdolah as saying.

    Governors of Jerusalem, appointed by the king, are mentioned twice in the Bible, in 2 Kings, which refers to Joshua holding the position, and in 2 Chronicles, which mentions Masseiah in the post during the reign of Josiah.

    © Copyright Original Source



    link
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  2. Amen lee_merrill, LostSheep, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    289
    Amen (Given)
    110
    Amen (Received)
    75
    Neat!
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  4. Amen LostSheep amen'd this post.
  5. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    895
    Amen (Given)
    129
    Amen (Received)
    390
    Does the coin identify them by name? Because simply saying "governor" doesn't really seem to be much of a confirmation of anything. Or was there a question about whether there were governors at all in Israel at the time?

  6. #4
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,238
    Amen (Given)
    1136
    Amen (Received)
    786
    Interesting but not significant.

    I do not see that the appointment of governors to cities by kings at this time represents anything controversial that it needs confirmation. The Bible is well known for containing historical facts, because the Bible is set in history.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  7. #5
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,890
    Amen (Given)
    4836
    Amen (Received)
    8758
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    Does the coin identify them by name? Because simply saying "governor" doesn't really seem to be much of a confirmation of anything. Or was there a question about whether there were governors at all in Israel at the time?
    There wasn't evidence supporting the Tanakh's mention of governors in Jerusalem, so it was doubted. It's not a major point, but it's far from the first material to be doubted only to be subsequently affirmed by evidence.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  8. Amen LostSheep, Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
  9. #6
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,890
    Amen (Given)
    4836
    Amen (Received)
    8758
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Interesting but not significant.

    I do not see that the appointment of governors to cities by kings at this time represents anything controversial that it needs confirmation. The Bible is well known for containing historical facts, because the Bible is set in history.
    Modern and postmodern scholars are well known for rejecting any fact contained in the Bible not supported by outside evidence.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  10. Amen LostSheep, Cerebrum123, Raphael amen'd this post.
  11. #7
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,238
    Amen (Given)
    1136
    Amen (Received)
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Modern and postmodern scholars are well known for rejecting any fact contained in the Bible not supported by outside evidence.
    Not true. Citations please.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  12. #8
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,890
    Amen (Given)
    4836
    Amen (Received)
    8758
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Not true. Citations please.
    Surely you're not this ignorant. It's not as if you're typically any sort of supporter of the historicity of the Tanakh.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  13. #9
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    35,080
    Amen (Given)
    3119
    Amen (Received)
    17096
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The Bible is well known for containing historical facts, because the Bible is set in history.
    First thing Shuny ever said that makes sense.

    Thank you Captain Obvious.

  14. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  15. #10
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    35,080
    Amen (Given)
    3119
    Amen (Received)
    17096
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Not true. Citations please.
    Read theologyweb.

  16. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •