Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Violence in video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The vast majority of people who listen to gangsta rap don't go out and rape and murder anyone either. That doesn't mean it's a good thing.
    It’s about scientific evidence and legality. There’s no scientific evidence that concludes violent media leads to an increase in violence and rather we personally approve or not, it is not illegal to consume said media. Now arguing of the morality of it is another question entirely because legality doesn’t equal moral.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      It’s about scientific evidence and legality. There’s no scientific evidence that concludes violent media leads to an increase in violence and rather we personally approve or not, it is not illegal to consume said media. Now arguing of the morality of it is another question entirely because legality doesn’t equal moral.
      I've never broached the subject of legality in this thread.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I've never broached the subject of legality in this thread.
        You basically argued that a sized chunk of gamers seem to think it’s fine to call in fake police reports when most are responsible people that don’t or wouldn’t. Personally, I find Call of Duty boring and creatively lagging for over a decade now. They pretty much add a few technical updates, add a few new things (maps, guns, etc), change around the setting, slap a $60 price tag on it and pretend it’s art. That’s a much better argument against CoD than a few mentally imbalanced people calling in false police reports.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I tried; those things were impossible to get.
          I got one. Earthbound is awesome.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            They are supposedly a lot easier to get now, and they are going to start producing more.

I just watched the Nintendo Direct Mini, and am really looking forward to the stuff coming out this year. I'm hyped for what they think deserves a "full" Nintendo Direct.
            I would like to get a switch. Though honestly I got plenty of games right now.
            sigpic

Comment

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Silly KG, don't you realize criticizing violence in video games is passe? The En Vogue Criticism of Video Games these days is Misogyny and Sexism.

But seriously... like it or lump it, media of all sorts (TV, Games, Music, etc) can have both positive/negative effects on people. It all depends on the person, and I've seen effects both good and bad. If you don't like Video Games or know they're a weak spot of yours, then either limit your intake or find ways to avoid altogether. It's kind of like alcohol and music that way.

Me, Personally? I love me some Video Games. I picked up a controller when I was 2, and I haven't put it down since.

I also know my limits... Aside from the fact I let my WoW Subscription expire back in College because I needed to focus on the Classes I was taking at the time, there are certain games I refuse to touch with a 10' pole (or a 5' 9" Ukraine for that matter) unless I set the time aside after Errands and such. Because I know for a fact that I'll blink and 12 hours will pass when I start to play them.
              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                I tried; those things were impossible to get.
                That’s why you need friends that work retail.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  The Switch is great. Lots of really good games from lots of really good publishers, and it is only getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Silly KG, don't you realize criticizing violence in video games is passe? The En Vogue Criticism of Video Games these days is Misogyny and Sexism.

But seriously... like it or lump it, media of all sorts (TV, Games, Music, etc) can have both positive/negative effects on people. It all depends on the person, and I've seen effects both good and bad. If you don't like Video Games or know they're a weak spot of yours, then either limit your intake or find ways to avoid altogether. It's kind of like alcohol and music that way.

Me, Personally? I love me some Video Games. I picked up a controller when I was 2, and I haven't put it down since.

I also know my limits... Aside from the fact I let my WoW Subscription expire back in College because I needed to focus on the Classes I was taking at the time, there are certain games I refuse to touch with a 10' pole (or a 5' 9" Ukraine for that matter) unless I set the time aside after Errands and such. Because I know for a fact that I'll blink and 12 hours will pass when I start to play them.
                    This. For a while my NES acted as a babysitter when I was a kid. I mean, I beat the original Super Mario Bros. when I was like 3 years old.

For now it's also my best form of pain relief. Without them I would be in a very bad situation. Oh, and I also have doctors orders to play them.

My dad was very strict on what we could play when I was younger, which was a good thing to some degree. I do think he was a little overboard with it though. Now that we are older he enjoys a few things like Halo, and CoD. Although he prefers stuff like ARMS, and Mario Kart.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      That’s kinda of the entire reason rating systems exist in media. If it’s rated M, it might be a bad idea to let your 4 year old play.
                      And the video game industry has been consistently praised for having one of the most comprehensive and accurate rating systems in the entertainment industry. It's great for parents who don't keep up with gaming news who are trying to decide if a game might be inappropriate for their child.

A lot of the criticism of the gaming industry comes from the false notion that video games are inherently children's toys, but ask any developer if their violent game is intended for children and they will be the first to tell you no.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        And the video game industry has been consistently praised for having one of the most comprehensive and accurate rating systems in the entertainment industry. It's great for parents who don't keep up with gaming news who are trying to decide if a game might be inappropriate for their child.

A lot of the criticism of the gaming industry comes from the false notion that video games are inherently children's toys, but ask any developer if their violent game is intended for children and they will be the first to tell you no.
                        People tend to assume the same about any form of animation as well, and much of it is indeed not intended for children.

Comment

I got one. Earthbound is awesome.
                          I have it on my New 3DS, and, yes, it is a fantastic game.

I would love to get one, but they're rather expensive. Maybe in a year or two when the price drops, and I can pick up games from the used section.

Comment

I have it on my New 3DS, and, yes, it is a fantastic game.

I would love to get one, but they're rather expensive. Maybe in a year or two when the price drops, and I can pick up games from the used section.
                            Given it is a brand new system, it's actually decently cheap. PS4, and Xbox One started off at $400. Although, I do understand not having the money personally. If it weren't for my brother being particularly generous I wouldn't have mine.

Given the crazy amount of sales the Switch has had, which is faster selling than any console in history, I don't expect a price drop too soon.

I'm trying to save up for an extra dock right now. Some games I have are great for the living room*, but others need a wired connection for online play with my brother. Being able to just pick it up, and plop it down from one room to the other, and have instant big screen display would be really handy.

*ARMS, Mario Kart 8, and later this year Mario Tennis.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Given it is a brand new system, it's actually decently cheap. PS4, and Xbox One started off at $400. Although, I do understand not having the money personally. If it weren't for my brother being particularly generous I wouldn't have mine.
                              Yes, $299 is relatively cheap for a new console, but once you add in accessories like a carrying case, screen protector (both of which I consider necessities), and a couple of games to get you started, you're easily looking at $500.

Comment

Yes, $299 is relatively cheap for a new console, but once you add in accessories like a carrying case, screen protector, and a couple of games to get you started, you're easily looking at $500.
                                Games and accessories* generally drop in price pretty quickly. Also, they might start doing bundles sometime this year, so that would cut the price down some.

I started off with just a screen protector, and one game. The game was the special edition of Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, so it came with a case to carry it in, a collectible cloth map, and a collectible coin. So that put me right at $400. Which ended up being around the same price it would be to just by the game and case separately. So basically for an extra $5 I got some cool collectible Zelda stuff, and my carry case is a much rarer style. Since I had the chance, it was worth it to me.

You might look into Best Buy's Gamer Club, or whatever it was called. You get 20% off any game purchase, as well as double points towards rewards. For most new games that takes off $12. It's like $30 for two years or something like that. Unfortunately accessories aren't discounted, but they still give double points.

Oh, and one nice thing about the Switch is it has multiplayer capacity for most games right out of the box. The joycons are a bit small to use like that, but it's better than having to pay another $60-80 just to have two people playing. They also now have wired versions of the Pro Controller that are now quite a bit cheaper than the wireless one.

Personally I also check things like pawn shops, and yard sales when I'm able to do that. I've found quite a bit of cool stuff over the years doing that. I don't buy consoles there, but the games can often be found for decent prices.

*Well, not controllers, but stuff like carry cases and the like go down in price fast.

Comment