Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Violence in video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's not up to them to take care of me. But I suppose a dependent snowflake like you doesn't understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Neither the tobacco industry, the oil industry, the food industry, the motorcar industry, TheDonald and now the games industry, care about your health, mental or otherwise or the future in general. They exist to make a profit and they design their product, their workforce and everything else to maximise that profit.
      Yes and they make a profit by... giving people what they want. The horror.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The last game I played that was really violent was Bioshock Infinite, an amazing game experience, and quite a bit of Overwatch later. Overwatch is so toony though that it doesn't really make me feel like its violent in the same way. After that I've mostly been absorbed by complex simulators.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          But don't you see? That's why people must be coddled by the nanny state, because they don't always want what's good for them! And only government officials know what's good for you.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            The last game I played that was really violent was Bioshock Infinite, an amazing game experience, and quite a bit of Overwatch later. Overwatch is so toony though that it doesn't really make me feel like its violent in the same way. After that I've mostly been absorbed by complex simulators.
            Probably the most violent game I've played in the last 10-years was Fallout 3 where you can straight-up decapitate someone in combat, or blow them into chunky bits with a rocket launcher. Strangely, I've somehow managed to avoid doing either of those things in real life.

Lately I play mostly strategy games (Crusader Kings II is possibly the greatest strategy game ever created) or simulators (X-Plane 11 is possibly the greatest flight simulator ever created).
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I made the grievous mistake of introducing my two older ones (5 and 3) to my SNES classic, and even letting them try it out. After letting them try a couple games--which they struggled with, understandably--we've pretty well settled on Street Fighter II as the game for them. My three-year old son doesn't move and just hits one button repeatedly, but they have fun with it.

Honestly, they get bored of it after about 20 minutes anyway.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Capitalism will produce violent video games if they are profitable and it will suppress information about harmful effects to protect profits. Is that what you want?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  Capitalism will produce violent video games if they are profitable and it will suppress information about harmful effects to protect profits. Is that what you want?
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    I made the grievous mistake of introducing my two older ones (5 and 3) to my SNES classic, and even letting them try it out. After letting them try a couple games--which they struggled with, understandably--we've pretty well settled on Street Fighter II as the game for them. My three-year old son doesn't move and just hits one button repeatedly, but they have fun with it.

Honestly, they get bored of it after about 20 minutes anyway.
                    Now you need an NES classic.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Probably the most violent game I've played in the last 10-years was Fallout 3 where you can straight-up decapitate someone in combat, or blow them into chunky bits with a rocket launcher. Strangely, I've somehow managed to avoid doing either of those things in real life.

Lately I play mostly strategy games (Crusader Kings II is possibly the greatest strategy game ever created) or simulators (X-Plane 11 is possibly the greatest flight simulator ever created).
                      Fallout is a pretty fun game.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        Now you need an NES classic.
                        I tried; those things were impossible to get.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          I tried; those things were impossible to get.
                          They are supposedly a lot easier to get now, and they are going to start producing more.

I just watched the Nintendo Direct Mini, and am really looking forward to the stuff coming out this year. I'm hyped for what they think deserves a "full" Nintendo Direct.

Comment

Comment

The vast majority of people who listen to gangsta rap don't go out and rape and murder anyone either. That doesn't mean it's a good thing.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment