Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Violence in video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Again, that's a behavioral problem and not a dependency.
    Oh, that makes it MUCH better.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Given that most people on this site seem to be avid gamers, there seems to be an understandable difficulty in viewing the subject from a detached POV

And I totally get that most gamers don't have any real problems. That doesn't mean that I don't still think gaming is a net negative for society.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
        Me, Personally? I love me some Video Games. I picked up a controller when I was 2, and I haven't put it down since.
        I'm a touch typist, and I'm forever correcting my typos.

Enter CV, posting with his elbows.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Given that most people on this site seem to be avid gamers, there seems to be an understandable difficulty in viewing the subject from a detached POV

And I totally get that most gamers don't have any real problems. That doesn't mean that I don't still think gaming is a net negative for society.
          There isn't much to discuss when your side almost instantly retreated from "violence in videogames" to "videogames are addictive" after the former topic turned out to be overwhelmingly a dud. It's obv you have a chip on your shoulder about the subject matter and I think you're just projecting that on us.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            There isn't much to discuss when your side almost instantly retreated from "violence in videogames" to "videogames are addictive" after the former topic turned out to be overwhelmingly a dud. It's obv you have a chip on your shoulder about the subject matter and I think you're just projecting that on us.
            Meh, my general theme was "video games are bad", but they had to give the thread some sort of title when it got split off, so violence it was.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Oh, that makes it MUCH better.
              I never said or implied that one was "better" than the other, you simpering boor, but the first step towards finding solutions is to correctly identify the problem.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Gaming only? Or are there other forms of entertainment that you feel similarly about?

Comment

I never said or implied that one was "better" than the other, you simpering boor, but the first step towards finding solutions is to correctly identify the problem.
                  *boar

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    I'm a touch typist, and I'm forever correcting my typos.

Enter CV, posting with his elbows.

Don't be silly. CV does not type with his elbows

texting.jpg
                    Actual pix of him posting

Smiley squirrel.gif XXXXXXXXXXXXX HAPPY SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY!! XXXXXXXXXXXXX Smiley squirrel.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Gaming only? Or are there other forms of entertainment that you feel similarly about?
                      I'm focusing on gaming here. I've gone on record elsewhere as having a jaundiced eye toward the film industry because the early Christians refused to participate in the theater, but that's not my focus here.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                        *boar
                        I had considered that.

Comment

I'm focusing on gaming here. I've gone on record elsewhere as having a jaundiced eye toward the film industry because the early Christians refused to participate in the theater, but that's not my focus here.
                          People always look to blame the latest technology or innovation for society's problems, but that's shortsighted. I recall a picture years ago with the caption "Remember in the days before cell phones when people didn't ignore each other in public?" Below was a picture from the 1930s showing a long line of people waiting at a bus stop, each one with his face buried in a newspaper.

Comment

People always look to blame the latest technology or innovation for society's problems, but that's shortsighted. I recall a picture years ago with the caption "Remember in the days before cell phones when people didn't ignore each other in public?" Below was a picture from the 1930s showing a long line of people waiting at a bus stop, each one with his face buried in a newspaper.
                            I don't think that's an apt comparison because newspapers are not immersive in the same way video games are. There's never been a medical debate over the addictiveness of newspapers, for instance.

Comment

I just base it on the evidence I see I haven’t found gaming, in of itself, to be any worse than social media or movies.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I don't think that's an apt comparison because newspapers are not immersive in the same way video games are. There's never been a medical debate over the addictiveness of newspapers, for instance.
                                You seem to have missed the point. I think what happens is that people see human behavior that they perceive as undesirable and then look for a recent phenomenon to blame it on. My example was about how people claim that cell phones have made people less social when the fact is that people, at least in America, have always been a bit anti-social in general, especially around large groups of people that they don't know.

This isn't the exact imagine I was referring to, but it makes the same point:

1*U36hBj8i-C7JJJxS4MP2HQ.jpeg

So someone decided that being anti-social when among the general public is bad. They look around and see all these people with their heads down looking at their cell phones and reason that, "If being anti-social is bad, and if cell phones are making people anti-social, then cell phones are bad." I wonder if anybody was making the same claims about the newspaper printing press back in the day?

People+read+their+morning+newspapers+on+New+York%27s+subway+en+route+to+work%2C+1963.jpg

So as this relates to video games, is there some undesirable social behavior that only exists or is on the rise because of video games, or has the behavior always existed (like people being anti-social in the days before cell phones), and busy-bodies are putting the blame on video games the same way they once blamed radio programs, and comic books, and rock-n-roll, and Dungeons & Dragons for similar societal problems? Seems like instead of looking for solutions, they're just looking for something new to blame for problems that appear to have always existed.

Comment