Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Black Lives Matter gets what they want, and it's not what they want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Lives Matter gets what they want, and it's not what they want

From the Department of Irony:

----------

Black American residents of Baltimore, Maryland, are now blaming a lower police presence for the city’s soaring murder rate despite three years of Black Lives Matter (BLM) activists insisting that police be pulled from their neighborhoods.

Baltimore has now experienced higher murder rates for three years in a row after riots and BLM-sponsored protests began rocking the city after the death of Freddie Gray, a suspect who died in police custody in the spring of 2015, National Public Radio (NPR) reported.

Since the riots, police morale has collapsed, and city officials began planning a lighter police footprint in response to complaints of residents and protest leaders.

But now, black leaders are blaming cops for the spiraling murder rate, saying that the police pullback has put them in danger.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...e-lack-police/
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Who couldn't see that coming?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No kidding!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

For a somewhat less inflammatory look at the story, you might want to read: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baltimo...-gray-killing/

The BLM activity/protests are only one of the several items that are being identified as a contributor to the increased homocide rate. There are several other factors as well. This kind of skewed reporting is one of the reasons I do not pro-actively read Brietbart anymore. Their agenda gets in the way of their reporting, IMO.

I would note that they are not the only ones using inflammatory titles these days: https://www.npr.org/2017/12/31/57482...olice-presence

But my experience is that Brietbart's inflammatory titles are almost always skewed to one political agenda. Sites like NPR use inflammatory titles to get eyeballs on both sides of the political spectrum. IMO, the latter is not MUCH better than the former.
        Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-02-2018, 07:58 AM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          For a somewhat less inflammatory look at the story, you might want to read: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baltimo...-gray-killing/

The BLM activity/protests are only one of the several items that are being identified as a contributor to the increased homocide rate. There are several other factors as well. This kind of skewed reporting is one of the reasons I do not pro-actively read Brietbart anymore. Their agenda gets in the way of their reporting, IMO.

I would note that they are not the only ones using inflammatory titles these days: https://www.npr.org/2017/12/31/57482...olice-presence

But my experience is that Brietbart's inflammatory titles are almost always skewed to one political agenda. Sites like NPR use inflammatory titles to get eyeballs on both sides of the political spectrum. IMO, the latter is not MUCH better than the former.
          So, putting aside the alleged biased reporting, as to the premise that the murder rate is up because of a pullback by police as a result of the Freddy/BLM factor, what say ye?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So you whine about my source but never show that it's actually wrong.

Either comment on the topic, or get out of my thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              So, putting aside the alleged biased reporting, as to the premise that the murder rate is up because of a pullback by police as a result of the Freddy/BLM factor, what say ye?
              The irony is that his supposedly "less inflammatory" source reports the exact same facts as Breitbart. The primary difference is that they downplay the extent to which BLM protestors demanded that police stay out of their neighbourhoods.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                So you whine about my source but never show that it's actually wrong.

Either comment on the topic, or get out of my thread.
                I did comment on the topic. The Briebart article is not "wrong." It is merely skewing the news to one issue (BLM) using inflammatory language, as is their wont. ointing that out is not "whining;" it is merely bringing to light a skewed perspective. The articles I linked are on topic, AFAICT - they deal with the rising homocide rate in Baltimore.

Or did I miss the purpose of your thread?
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

As the other articles I linked note, there are multiple factors at work: the drug situation, the gun laws in that area, etc. It would be hard to determine exactly which factors contributed how many lives to the mix. I am sure that the pull-back by police is a factor (it may even be the dominant factor), and it is unfortunate. If the police did indeed reduce their presence, I think it was the wrong call. As several interviewed citizens noted, their goal* was not to see a reduced presence, but to see an adjustment in how the police interacted with the community, and an attempt to address racial stereotyping. It is a well-documented (and understandable) reality for most police forces, especially in large urban areas.

*Of course, I'm sure some did indeed have as their goal "reduced presence," the outcome of which I agree would have been entirely predictable.
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-02-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    The irony is that his supposedly "less inflammatory" source reports the exact same facts as Breitbart. The primary difference is that they downplay the extent to which BLM protestors demanded that police stay out of their neighbourhoods.
                    Actually, they don't. I went back to the Brietbart and re-read in case I missed something. As usual, their language leans towards superlative ("black leaders" rather than "some black leaders") and I find no reference to the other social dynamics identified as related to the surging homocide rate (e.g., drugs, gun laws, etc. - see CBS article).

They are very good at what they do, I have to acknowledge that. They know just how to structure an article to keep it reasonably accurate (most of the time) while still pushing the inflammatory buttons of the right.

That being said - you apparently want to discuss the police presence issue rather than reporting practices related to the issue, so we should perhaps end this line of discussion. I'll focus on the other part of the thread as exemplified by CP's question and leave the last word on this discussion to you.

Comment

As the other articles I linked note,
                      About that... .... It's really best to give a brief synopsis of what it is you're trying to say from "the link".
                      A) Many people won't take the time to read the article
                      2) Many people won't see the article as saying the same thing you think it says
                      iii) It's borderline "argument by weblink", which is against the rules

there are multiple factors at work: the drug situation, the gun laws in that area, etc. It would be hard to determine exactly which factors contributed how many lives to the mix. I am sure that the pull-back by police is a factor (it may even be the dominant factor), and it is unfortunate. If the police did indeed reduce their presence,
                      Are you not buying the implication that it was the city management "reducing the presence" of the police, not necessarily the police themselves pulling back?

Comment

About that... .... It's really best to give a brief synopsis of what it is you're trying to say from "the link".
                        A) Many people won't take the time to read the article
                        2) Many people won't see the article as saying the same thing you think it says
                        iii) It's borderline "argument by weblink", which is against the rules
                        OK - maybe I'm not understanding the rules? I provided two links to alternate articles. Below each link I included a brief 1-2 sentence summary of what I pulled from the article that I wanted to emphasize. The review is brief because I am told I am wordy.

So how did I break the rules (letter OR spirit?)

Are you not buying the implication that it was the city management "reducing the presence" of the police, not necessarily the police themselves pulling back?
                        Actually, I cannot tell from the reports which factor dominates. Police morale is reported to be reduced, which suggests the police themselves are less engaged. The city also apparently created a plan to reduce presence, but the details of that reduction I did not see.

Comment

OK - maybe I'm not understanding the rules? I provided two links to alternate articles. Below each link I included a brief 1-2 sentence summary of what I pulled from the article that I wanted to emphasize. The review is brief because I am told I am wordy.

So how did I break the rules (letter OR spirit?)
                          I said "borderline".

Actually, I cannot tell from the reports which factor dominates. Police morale is reported to be reduced, which suggests the police themselves are less engaged.
                          Well, there's a clear delineation in police work - there's "the cops on the street" who go where they're told when they're told - then there's police "command" which is often more political and gets marching orders from "the city". The city of Baltimore establishment seems pretty much anti-cop. Baltimore's State's Attorney, Marilyn J. Mosby, made a total !$@#%!^^ out of herself by going on a social justice campaign instead of prosecuting the case in a professional manner.

I think she deserves a lot of the "credit" for the mell of a hess they're in now.

Comment

Actually, they don't. I went back to the Brietbart and re-read in case I missed something. As usual, their language leans towards superlative ("black leaders" rather than "some black leaders") and I find no reference to the other social dynamics identified as related to the surging homocide rate (e.g., drugs, gun laws, etc. - see CBS article).

They are very good at what they do, I have to acknowledge that. They know just how to structure an article to keep it reasonably accurate (most of the time) while still pushing the inflammatory buttons of the right.
                            Seems the only buttons being pushed are yours.

Comment

I said "borderline".

Well, there's a clear delineation in police work - there's "the cops on the street" who go where they're told when they're told - then there's police "command" which is often more political and gets marching orders from "the city". The city of Baltimore establishment seems pretty much anti-cop. Baltimore's State's Attorney, Marilyn J. Mosby, made a total !$@#%!^^ out of herself by going on a social justice campaign instead of prosecuting the case in a professional manner.

I think she deserves a lot of the "credit" for the mell of a hess they're in now.
                              I cannot speak to that history - I am not familiar enough with it to have an opinion. If the city leadership has adopted an "anti-cop" position, then that is definitely a problem.

I will observe that I have been accused of being "anti-cop," and I am nothing of the sort. I support the local police force monetarily, with some of my time, and see their role as vital and their commitment to that service as a benefit to society. I am accused of being "anti-cop" because I had the temerity to agree that racial bias is present in many police forces across the country, and it needs to be addressed. Racial bias by Joe-on-the-street is not a good thing, but racial bias by an armed police force is downright dangerous. I understand why it exists, and I don't think police are "bad people," but the factors that lead to racial bias need to be countered as a part of a well-managed, well-trained police force.

It is possible to love/support someone, and still be critical of some aspects of their behavior or activities. Being critical of one aspect of police forces does not make me "anti-cop." I do noty know if the leadership in Boston is being labeled "anti-cop" for the same reasons I have been, but if they have been - then I disagree they are necessarily anti-cop.

Comment