Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Review of the Russian collusion narrative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    While I am sure Putin would love it if he were truly able to rig US elections, and while I am sure that various groups in Russia try to nudge US elections in their preferred direction (just as thousands of US-based groups do)... I have yet to see any examples of activities that seem to be sufficiently large in scope and effect that make me think they might have influenced the 2016 outcome or would influence the outcome of future elections.
    I'm not convinced their interference was what made enough of a difference, but if there was one candidate example that stands above the rest, it would be the release of the DNC emails the day Trump's vulva-grabbing tape was made public.

In any case, no, this is not "just as thousands of US-based groups do." This interference wasn't state-based, it was state-sponsored. It tracks back through Sechin, Peskov, and Ivanov directly to Putin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      While I am sure Putin would love it if he were truly able to rig US elections, and while I am sure that various groups in Russia try to nudge US elections in their preferred direction (just as thousands of US-based groups do)... I have yet to see any examples of activities that seem to be sufficiently large in scope and effect that make me think they might have influenced the 2016 outcome or would influence the outcome of future elections.
      But how would you even come to know whether or not Russian activities had enough of an influence to effect the outcome of the election? That, the influence that targeted fake news can have, is not something that can be measured. A change of a few thousands votes in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania was all that was needed to change the outcome.

Comment