Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Review of the Russian collusion narrative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Actually, I rarely watch Fox News. The rest of your post is just as dumb.
    Well whichever fake news site it is that you watch then. You obviously have no idea what is going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      If Republicans had any decency then they wouldn't be constantly wasting tax payer money on actual political witch hunts like Whitewater and Benghazi and the undermining of honest investigations like the Russians attempt to undermine our democratic system of governance.
      Nah instead democrats use tax payer money to interfere in the democratic process of other countries while accusing Russia of doing it to us as an excuse to why her majesty, Queen Hilary lost the election.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Well whichever fake news site it is that you watch then. You obviously have no idea what is going on.
        That’s an ironic statement coming from you.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Well that's pretty ironic coming from you.

To be specific you had Democrats who testified before Starr come out and claim that Starr kept asking questions about Clinton's sex life to the point of being obsessed with it. As the "Starr Report" revealed later on he never asked questions about Clinton's sex life. The Democrats were lying through their teeth.
          Egad! Who, what, where, when? And who cares? Again no specifics, just accussations.

Comment

Why should he start now?
            You should try it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Change 'republican' to 'party in power' and I agree completely.
              Well, I can't say with certainty, but if a democrat was suspected of colluding with a foreign adversary, of possibly being blackmailed, or of actually being purposfully treasoness, I don't believe that the democrats in power would look the other way or actually work to impede an investigation into that possibility as the republicans are now definitely doing.

Comment

If Republicans had any decency then they wouldn't be constantly wasting tax payer money on actual political witch hunts like Whitewater and Benghazi and the undermining of honest investigations like the Russians attempt to undermine our democratic system of governance.
                Let's see... any investigation initiated by Republicans = wasteful spending / any investigation initiated by liberals = honest.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, I can't say with certainty, but if a democrat was suspected of colluding with a foreign adversary, of possibly being blackmailed, or of actually being purposfully treasoness, I don't believe that the democrats in power would look the other way or actually work to impede an investigation into that possibility as the republicans are now definitely doing.
                  How long have you been visiting earth? (and, even if you were correct, that would be "purposefully treasonous", not purposfully treasoness )
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Actually, I rarely watch Fox News.
                    Because it's too liberal?

Comment

Egad! Who, what, where, when? And who cares? Again no specifics, just accussations.
                      This coming from the guy who almost NEVER cites his sources. (and it's 'accusations', not 'accussations'! )

finalironymeter_zps9935014f.gif

Comment

Why should he start now?
                        This reminds me of a line on DuckTales Remastered.

Launchpad: "Mr McD, I've been thinking".
                        Scrooge: "Oh Launchpad, why ruin a perfect record"?

Comment

As for myself I watch CNN Headline News the most, Bloomberg News second, Fox News third and MSNBC fourth.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• It's been a while since I looked at Rosenstein's order.
                            APPOINTMENT OF SPECIAL COUNSEL
                            TO INVESTIGATE RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE WITH THE
                            2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION AND RELATED MATTERS

With folks talking about the scope of the investigation, maybe it's time to review.
                            (b) The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
                            (i) any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and

(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and

(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).

(c) If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters.

(d) Sections 600.4 through 600.l0 of Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations are applicable to the Special Counsel.

§ 600.4 Jurisdiction.
                            (a) Original jurisdiction. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall be established by the Attorney General. The Special Counsel will be provided with a specific factual statement of the matter to be investigated. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall also include the authority to investigate and prosecute federal crimes committed in the course of, and with intent to interfere with, the Special Counsel's investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses; and to conduct appeals arising out of the matter being investigated and/or prosecuted.

While "links and/or coordination" is already a wide ambit, § 600.4 (b) provides for further expansion upon request of the special counsel and approval of the Attorney General. This was used during Starr's Whitewater investigation.
                            Last edited by Juvenal; 01-14-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              It's been a while since I looked at Rosenstein's order.
                              APPOINTMENT OF SPECIAL COUNSEL
                              TO INVESTIGATE RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE WITH THE
                              2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION AND RELATED MATTERS

With folks talking about the scope of the investigation, maybe it's time to review.
                              (b) The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
                              (i) any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and

(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and

(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).

(c) If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters.

(d) Sections 600.4 through 600.l0 of Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations are applicable to the Special Counsel.

§ 600.4 Jurisdiction.
                              (a) Original jurisdiction. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall be established by the Attorney General. The Special Counsel will be provided with a specific factual statement of the matter to be investigated. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall also include the authority to investigate and prosecute federal crimes committed in the course of, and with intent to interfere with, the Special Counsel's investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses; and to conduct appeals arising out of the matter being investigated and/or prosecuted.

While "links and/or coordination" is already a wide ambit, § 600.4 (b) provides for further expansion upon request of the special counsel and approval of the Attorney General. This was used during Starr's Whitewater investigation.
                              Interesting. Probably never happen I know, but the way I read section 600.4 certain members of Congress, (Devin Nunez, Chuck Grassley, et al) could also be under investigation for obstruction of justice. I suppose it depends on the how the term "obstruction" is defined by the law, don't know, but they've certainly been obstructing in my view.

Comment

Interesting. Probably never happen I know, but the way I read section 600.4 certain members of Congress, (Devin Nunez, Chuck Grassley, et al) could also be under investigation for obstruction of justice. I suppose it depends on the how the term "obstruction" is defined by the law, don't know, but they've certainly been obstructing in my view.
                                Nah. I'm fairly sure Nunez and Grassley are well within the letter of the law, and if they're not, I'm content to wait for Mueller to tell us all about it. The president, on the other hand, has been less than circumspect, to the point where you sometimes wonder whether he's receiving legal counsel at all, an entirely different question from whether that counsel is being provided.

The two big questions I have are first, why Trump, the guy with no filter, has been so careful in avoiding any criticism of Putin, and second, why he was so intent to get Flynn off the hook. The first, even before we look at information from the Steele dossier, strongly suggests Putin's got him compromised. The second suggests Flynn does too.

I have confidence in Mueller. If there's fire behind the smoke, we'll know it soon enough. When they're talking about interviewing the president, they're saying the first phase of the investigation is nearly finished. There will be a second phase. I suspect the push to bring Manafort to trial is intended to turn him, too. The Steele dossier named him as the first direct contact for Russian intelligence being provided to the campaign.

Comment