Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Best Tax Proposal in the History of the World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

P.S. I'm afraid I won't be able to vote for you Sparko. You have a funny hat.

Rogue-Sparko-POTUS.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yet, he's cutting regulations like crazy, and with fewer regulations, it would be reasonable to assume you need fewer regulators.
      CP, if Trump was in a well-managed company, and ever proposed "cutting rules" the same way he's "cutting regulations," he'd almost definitely be fired - or at least sent to a management school. I know, if he was on MY management team, I'd seriously question his fitness for management.

Just as you left out "unnecessary" from "new organizations," (and no - it's not assumed/obvious - because it's almost always left out and is usually not reflected in discussions), Trump leaves out "bad" from "cut regulations." You did as well. There is no mechanism that I have been able to find that ensures it is bad regulations being cut and good ones being preserved - it's just a numbers game. It's going to take years for a qualified president to sort the mess out.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25820[/ATTACH]
        Love it... scary as it is...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

CP, if Trump was in a well-managed company, and ever proposed "cutting rules" the same way he's "cutting regulations," he'd almost definitely be fired -
          Unless, of course, he were the owner. And there's a difference between "rules" and "regulations", as I'm sure you know.

or at least sent to a management school. I know, if he was on MY management team, I'd seriously question his fitness for management.
          How many employees have you had on your payroll, Carpe?

Just as you left out "unnecessary" from "new organizations," (and no - it's not assumed/obvious - because it's almost always left out and is usually not reflected in discussions), Trump leaves out "bad" from "cut regulations." You did as well. There is no mechanism that I have been able to find that ensures it is bad regulations being cut and good ones being preserved - it's just a numbers game. It's going to take years for a qualified president to sort the mess out.
          Every problem is the result of a previous solution, and every president "sorts out the mess" left by his predecessors.

That said, I sure hope Pence is up for the job!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

CP, if Trump was in a well-managed company, and ever proposed "cutting rules" the same way he's "cutting regulations," he'd almost definitely be fired - or at least sent to a management school. I know, if he was on MY management team, I'd seriously question his fitness for management.

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

My friends in the healthcare business bemoan the fact that "compliance" takes up such a huge part of their budget and their time. When there are regulations, there needs to be proof of compliance. We certainly need reasonable rules and guidelines, but sometimes it seems it's more about "because I said so" than because it's needed.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've been debating contributing to this thread, but just keeping up with the discussion so far has been quite...taxing.

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  I've been debating contributing to this thread, but just keeping up with the discussion so far has been quite...taxing.

And you're hoping for a refund?

(which brings me to one of my biggest gripes about our tax system --- how people seem excited to be "getting a refund" when all that means is you were dumb enough to allow the government to use your money interest free before giving some of it back to you )

Comment

My friends in the healthcare business bemoan the fact that "compliance" takes up such a huge part of their budget and their time. When there are regulations, there needs to be proof of compliance. We certainly need reasonable rules and guidelines, but sometimes it seems it's more about "because I said so" than because it's needed.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Your key assumption is in bold. Governments are seldom, if ever, run like a well-managed company, because 1) they're spending other peoples' money and 2) they're run by people who win popularity contests. There are billions wasted by the US federal government monthly, let alone yearly.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

#3 is income to the shareholders - if it is taxed as regular income, then it is being taxed. The boss does not get away with not being taxed - they simply pay it as personal income instead of business income.

Am I missing something?
                        The boss is the corporation and it gets away without being taxed. It also severs the shareholder from responsibility to creditors as a result. I'd prefer we do away with corporations altogether but I'm not sure how we can do that without the economy collapsing.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

And you're hoping for a refund?

(which brings me to one of my biggest gripes about our tax system --- how people seem excited to be "getting a refund" when all that means is you were dumb enough to allow the government to use your money interest free before giving some of it back to you )
                          It burns my britches when I ask someone how much they paid in income taxes and they say "Nothing. I'm getting X dollars back."

Face Palm - better.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            It burns my britches when I ask someone how much they paid in income taxes and they say "Nothing. I'm getting X dollars back."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25824[/ATTACH]
                            Yup - one of my biggest gripes about secondary education is that we teach "math" but we don't teach common sense in using it. I'm amazed at how many young people can't even balance a checkbook, or understand how basic economics work.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              The boss is the corporation and it gets away without being taxed. It also severs the shareholder from responsibility to creditors as a result. I'd prefer we do away with corporations altogether but I'm not sure how we can do that without the economy collapsing.
                              Not just the economy would collapse, but the entire US government would collapse. "The US is dominated by a rich and powerful elite. So concludes a recent study by Princeton University Prof Martin Gilens and Northwestern University Prof Benjamin I Page." In short, the US is run by a corporate oligarchy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

Ironically, it was those at the bottom of the heap, who benefit not at all, who voted the current powerful elite into power.

Comment

Unless, of course, he were the owner.
                                Trump's businesses, as far as I can tell, have never been management-structured businesses. I don't think they have even had boards. As best I can tell, Trump has managed hit business by fiat, leveraging the brand of his name.

And there's a difference between "rules" and "regulations", as I'm sure you know.
                                Yes. A regulartion is a type of rule. Specifically:

Regulation: a rule or directive made and maintained by an authority.

How many employees have you had on your payroll, Carpe?
                                Depends which business we're talking about. My current one functions as a consortium of independent consultants, so the payroll is very small. My last one grew to 120. Before that I managed a team that totaled over 1200 people.

Every problem is the result of a previous solution, and every president "sorts out the mess" left by his predecessors.
                                Tru dat!

That said, I sure hope Pence is up for the job!
                                Now THAT is a scary thought...

Comment