Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Fun with Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I knew this would happen...

You can create your own answers to questions, and alexa will use your answers....

Q: Who's the best poster on Tweb?
      A: Everybody knows that would be Cow Poke.

https://blueprints.amazon.com/

Choose Custom Q&A

I created...

Q: Alexa, where do these people keep their guns?
      A: Hold that thought while I call the police.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I knew this would happen...

You can create your own answers to questions, and alexa will use your answers....

Q: Who's the best poster on Tweb?
        A: Everybody knows that would be Cow Poke.

https://blueprints.amazon.com/

Choose Custom Q&A

I created...

Q: Alexa, where do these people keep their guns?
        A: Hold that thought while I call the police.
        I need to teach her about being a pirate. She can already sing a pirate song. Now I have to teach her how to pillage and swab the deck and hoist the mainsail.

Comment

Cool --- I just played with "Routines", and was able to set my porch lights to sunset off / sunset on, and other stuff.
          I had a fancy schmancy lightswitch (not Alexa) that would get confused, and have lights on during the day, then off during the night, and I'd have to reprogram it.

I just swapped that switch out with an Alexa compatible smartswitch, then set up the routine.

Fun!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cool --- I just played with "Routines", and was able to set my porch lights to sunset off / sunset on, and other stuff.
            I had a fancy schmancy lightswitch (not Alexa) that would get confused, and have lights on during the day, then off during the night, and I'd have to reprogram it.

I just swapped that switch out with an Alexa compatible smartswitch, then set up the routine.

Fun!
            It WORKED! It WORKED!!!!

Comment

It WORKED! It WORKED!!!!
              Nice. I have a little routine set up where I can say "Alexa, turn on everything" and it will turn on my TV and living room lamp, and switch on my roku and load Youtube TV. And "turn everything off" turns them all off.

My table lamp has a smart bulb in it that you can adjust the color and brightness too.

I was going to do something like you did with my outside driveway lights on the side of my garage door, but I can't find bright enough smart lights (150Watt equiv) - I didn't think about a smart switch. But it would take some doing, since the lights are in a gang of three by my backdoor, outside lights, mudroom lights and kitchen light (which is a 3-way).
              Last edited by Sparko; 07-05-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Nice. I have a little routine set up where I can say "Alexa, turn on everything" and it will turn on my TV and living room lamp, and switch on my roku and load Youtube TV. And "turn everything off" turns them all off.

My table lamp has a smart bulb in it that you can adjust the color and brightness too.

I was going to do something like you did with my outside driveway lights on the side of my garage door, but I can't find bright enough smart lights (150Watt equiv) - I didn't think about a smart switch. But it would take some doing, since the lights are in a gang of three by my backdoor, outside lights, mudroom lights and kitchen light (which is a 3-way).
                Yeah, I haven't messed with any 3-way yet - only single on/of switches. And they have to have a ground wire AND a white wire for neutral, along with the power and load. But one switch by the front door controls the entry way exterior light and the carriage lights on both sides of the garage.

Then, in "groups" I have a group for "all exterior lights". I have a group called "morning" that, when we get up, it turns on all morning lights and the coffee pot....

Lots of fun.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't messed with any 3-way yet - only single on/of switches. And they have to have a ground wire AND a white wire for neutral, along with the power and load. But one switch by the front door controls the entry way exterior light and the carriage lights on both sides of the garage.

Then, in "groups" I have a group for "all exterior lights". I have a group called "morning" that, when we get up, it turns on all morning lights and the coffee pot....

Lots of fun.
                  yeah working with the wifi smart bulbs is much easier. If you come across any high lumen (2550 or higher) smart bulbs, let me know. they sell smart bulb sockets too. but they are too large for my outdoor light fixtures.

Comment

OK, so I'm having too much fun!

My wife has a funny accent (yeah, I know, weird) on certain things she says, and Alexa doesn't always get what she says.

Example -- instead of "living room", where the G is at the end of living, she would pronounce it "livinGroom" with the G sounding like Groom.

So, when I say "Alexa, turn on living room" - the living room lights come on.

When she says "Alexa, turn on living Groom" - Alexa says, "I'm sorry, I don't take orders from you".

Does anybody have a spare room I can stay in for a while?

Comment

My wife has a funny accent (yeah, I know, weird) on certain things she says, and Alexa doesn't always get what she says.

Example -- instead of "living room", where the G is at the end of living, she would pronounce it "livinGroom" with the G sounding like Groom.

When she says "Alexa, turn on living Groom" - Alexa says, "I'm sorry, I don't take orders from you".

Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

So, more fun --- I found some three-way* smart switches that work quite well, so now I can even tell the hallway lights to come on.

AND, dimmer switch for the dining room and master bedroom, so I can say "alexa, turn on dining room 50%".

*always wondered who the genius was who named a two-way switch "three-way"

Comment

It might not be her accent.

Some of the NSA I have assigned to keep an eye on you (for your protection only of course) get bored and have strange senses of humor. Kxit-tikkeq Ti, known as "Sparky" 'cuz of his love of electronics (he's a master in planting listening devices) may have been fiddling with it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            It might not be her accent.

Some of the NSA I have assigned to keep an eye on you (for your protection only of course) get bored and have strange senses of humor. Kxit-tikkeq Ti, known as "Sparky" 'cuz of his love of electronics (he's a master in planting listening devices) may have been fiddling with it
                            Perhaps that explains why, the other night in total darkness, I was headed to the back fence in my undies with my AR-15 to shoot a rabid skunk, and ALL the outside spotlights came on at the same time?

Comment

I am thinking about getting a couple of smart light sockets so I can control my outside garage lights. My neighborhood doesn't have may street lights so I usually light up my driveway with a couple of LED lights on either side of my garage. I usually leave them on all the time, but with a smart socket I could create a routine to just have them come on at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I am thinking about getting a couple of smart light sockets so I can control my outside garage lights. My neighborhood doesn't have may street lights so I usually light up my driveway with a couple of LED lights on either side of my garage. I usually leave them on all the time, but with a smart socket I could create a routine to just have them come on at night.
                                Yep - my porch lights are set to come on 15 minutes before sunset and turn off 15 minutes after sunrise. I love it that I don't have to mess with shifts in winter or summer, or even daylight savings time.

But you mean light SWITCHES, or light sockets?

Comment