Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Fun with Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I can do that - I was wondering if you could speak to alexa and say "Alexa, turn on living room reading lamp"
    I don't think you can speak to Alexa through the app.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I don't think you can speak to Alexa through the app.
      I thought so, too, but....

Alexa lives in the microphone icon next to the search bar in the Amazon Shopping app. This icon originally let users voice-search Amazon to find products to buy, but now it will also support voice commands for Alexa. You're not limited to shopping-related questions, either—you can use Alexa in the Shopping app as you would in your home if you have an Alexa-enabled device. Alexa can detail weather information, tell you jokes, track Amazon orders, answer search-related questions, play music from Amazon Music, and even read Kindle books aloud.

source
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I thought so, too, but....

Alexa lives in the microphone icon next to the search bar in the Amazon Shopping app. This icon originally let users voice-search Amazon to find products to buy, but now it will also support voice commands for Alexa. You're not limited to shopping-related questions, either—you can use Alexa in the Shopping app as you would in your home if you have an Alexa-enabled device. Alexa can detail weather information, tell you jokes, track Amazon orders, answer search-related questions, play music from Amazon Music, and even read Kindle books aloud.

source
        so try it!

Comment

so try it!
          I will when I have time --- working on another project and multi-tasking messing around here.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I will when I have time --- working on another project and multi-tasking messing around here.
            I tried it on mine but it kept saying it could not understand me. My microphone on my iphone is kinda wonky. It only works on spearkerphone mode.

Comment

I tried it on mine but it kept saying it could not understand me. My microphone on my iphone is kinda wonky. It only works on spearkerphone mode.
              It's probably just your thick Pirate accent.
              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                It's probably just your thick Pirate accent.
                Siri calls me "ye scurvy pirate"

Comment

Alexa speaks Klingon!

Comment

Alexa speaks Klingon!
                    very badly.

She also tells really bad jokes and limericks. Rogue would be proud

Comment

very badly.

She also tells really bad jokes and limericks. Rogue would be proud
                      She reminds me of my Dad and his sense of humor.

Comment

She reminds me of my Dad and his sense of humor.
                        She definitely tells "dad jokes"

Ask her for a Batman joke.

Comment

She definitely tells "dad jokes"

Ask her for a Batman joke.
                          "I don't have any jokes about that".

Comment

"I don't have any jokes about that".
                            really? this morning I said, "Alexa, good morning" and she told me that this is the anniversary of the Batman TV show and to ask her for a Batman joke. So I did ("Alexa, tell me a Batman Joke") and she did. Maybe you have to trigger her by getting the daily fact first by saying good morning to her?

Comment

really? this morning I said, "Alexa, good morning" and she told me that this is the anniversary of the Batman TV show and to ask her for a Batman joke. So I did ("Alexa, tell me a Batman Joke") and she did. Maybe you have to trigger her by getting the daily fact first by saying good morning to her?
                              "Alexa, Good Morning"

"Good Morning. On this day in 1895 the National Trust was founded in order to protect historic places and spaces forever, for everyone".

Maybe because I have the British English? Lemme check.....

Comment

Interesting -- my home study has the British English, and, apparently a total different personality.

My living room Alexa is American English, and got right into the Batman background.

Comment