Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Fun with Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    "Alexa, Good Morning"

"Good Morning. On this day in 1895 the National Trust was founded in order to protect historic places and spaces forever, for everyone".

Maybe because I have the British English? Lemme check.....
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/12/entert...eat/index.html

Maybe she give different answers depending on where you are or what time you ask? I asked her this morning at 6AM

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/12/entert...eat/index.html

Maybe she give different answers depending on where you are or what time you ask? I asked her this morning at 6AM
      Yup, the British English one gave me historic information, the American English one gave me the Batman saga.

Just checked them both again.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

list of easter eggs: https://turbofuture.com/consumer-ele...ho-Easter-Eggs

Comment

Yup, the British English one gave me historic information, the American English one gave me the Batman saga.

Just checked them both again.
          Dang stuffy Brits. No appreciation for good culture.

Comment

I like Alexa better than Siri and Cortana. She has a better sense of humor and can do more. Apple really missed the boat on this one. They had a voice assistant first and all she could do was answer trivia questions and search for things. But they never got her to DO anything like control and integrate the apps on the iphone. I think they started doing a little of that recently but I still don't think they let Siri control the Apple Home functions do they? I don't think you can say Siri turn on the light, for example. I could be wrong on that.

Comment

I like Alexa better than Siri and Cortana. She has a better sense of humor and can do more. Apple really missed the boat on this one. They had a voice assistant first and all she could do was answer trivia questions and search for things. But they never got her to DO anything like control and integrate the apps on the iphone. I think they started doing a little of that recently but I still don't think they let Siri control the Apple Home functions do they? I don't think you can say Siri turn on the light, for example. I could be wrong on that.
              Yeah, like I said, I was having a hard time figuring out which smart home platform to use, but my son-in-law got me an Amazon Dot, and the train has left the station.

I have "morning" groups (turns on one bedroom light, a living room light, and a kitchen island light) and an "All home lights" and a "home office" group, a "living room" group - besides each individual item....
              At night, instead of going out in the garage to make sure I turned stuff off, I just say "Alexa, shutdown on", and she turns off ALL the lights and associated appliances.

I'm having way too much fun.

Oh, and I have her reminding me at 7 PM on Thursday that "tomorrow is garbage day".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Come with me if you want to live."

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah, like I said, I was having a hard time figuring out which smart home platform to use, but my son-in-law got me an Amazon Dot, and the train has left the station.

I have "morning" groups (turns on one bedroom light, a living room light, and a kitchen island light) and an "All home lights" and a "home office" group, a "living room" group - besides each individual item....
                  At night, instead of going out in the garage to make sure I turned stuff off, I just say "Alexa, shutdown on", and she turns off ALL the lights and associated appliances.

I'm having way too much fun.

Oh, and I have her reminding me at 7 PM on Thursday that "tomorrow is garbage day".
                  Other than one living room lamp controlled with a smart plug I got for Christmas, I don't have any home automation (well my Entertainment system through harmony) - I don't really have a need for it yet. I have to walk by the light switch to get into the room anyway and it's faster and easier to flip the switch than say "Alexa turn on the bedroom light"

I did just get a 2nd Echo dot to put in my bedroom (other one is in the living room)

So now I have 4 total "Alexa" Devices: 2 echo dots, a fireTV stick, and an Amazon Dash Wand (which I got for free so why not?)

Comment

Other than one living room lamp controlled with a smart plug I got for Christmas, I don't have any home automation (well my Entertainment system through harmony) - I don't really have a need for it yet. I have to walk by the light switch to get into the room anyway and it's faster and easier to flip the switch than say "Alexa turn on the bedroom light"

I did just get a 2nd Echo dot to put in my bedroom (other one is in the living room)

So now I have 4 total "Alexa" Devices: 2 echo dots, a fireTV stick, and an Amazon Dash Wand (which I got for free so why not?)
                    I guess my next step is Amazon Fire Stick? My granddaughter is playing with that. Maybe I'll get rid of U-Verse TV altogether.

I like the automation, because, when I'm not home, my wife can turn lights on before entering a room, or going to the other side of the house.

Comment

Have you messed with IFTTT? an app on your phone that allows you to set triggers between various apps/programs, including Alexa. So you could set up some sort of link like if it is going to rain (triggered by weather app) then have alexa trigger putting a tarp up.

Hmm I wonder if you can use your location on your phone as a trigger? So as you drive up to the house, Alexa opens the garage, then when you walk into the house she turns on the lights. Might be cool to explore.

Comment

Have you messed with IFTTT? an app on your phone that allows you to set triggers between various apps/programs, including Alexa. So you could set up some sort of link like if it is going to rain (triggered by weather app) then have alexa trigger putting a tarp up.

Hmm I wonder if you can use your location on your phone as a trigger? So as you drive up to the house, Alexa opens the garage, then when you walk into the house she turns on the lights. Might be cool to explore.
                        Not yet, but that's on my list of things to look at.

Comment

rats, it can only see a large area for your location, not a specific room.

Comment

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

"Alexa, pretend to be a super villain"

Comment

I work with a young girl named Alexa (though everyone calls her Lexa for short), and she's quite fun to work with. Some time I ought to ask her how she feels about being named after a robot.
                                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment