Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Fun with Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Perhaps that explains why, the other night in total darkness, I was headed to the back fence in my undies with my AR-15 to shoot a rabid skunk, and ALL the outside spotlights came on at the same time?
    I'll have a talk with him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A couple weeks ago, Alexa got messed up somehow, and my wife couldn't get Alexa to turn on the kitchen lights. She asked me, "now what?"

I walked over to the wall next to the microwave oven, and said, "you just push this switch". She was pretty embarrassed.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yep - my porch lights are set to come on 15 minutes before sunset and turn off 15 minutes after sunrise. I love it that I don't have to mess with shifts in winter or summer, or even daylight savings time.

But you mean light SWITCHES, or light sockets?
        We have Christmas lights that we put out every late November-ish and leave out until the tree that the lights are draped over leafs in the spring. Mr. mossy sets it to come on at a certain time before sunset and turn off just before we go to bed.

He has to keep adjusting it, though, to follow the height of the sun as it sets later and later after Dec. 21.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

We have Christmas lights that we put out every late November-ish and leave out until the tree that the lights are draped over leafs in the spring. Mr. mossy sets it to come on at a certain time before sunset and turn off just before we go to bed.

He has to keep adjusting it, though, to follow the height of the sun as it sets later and later after Dec. 21.
          Light sensors are better than timers.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Inte...9785706&sr=8-8

I can't find smart bulbs bright enough to use directly, so if I use these sockets, then I can use my unsmart LED bulbs that I have which are super bright and I don't have to mess with rewiring any switches.

PS how do you program your lights to know what time sunset/sunrise is?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Inte...9785706&sr=8-8

I can't find smart bulbs bright enough to use directly, so if I use these sockets, then I can use my unsmart LED bulbs that I have which are super bright and I don't have to mess with rewiring any switches.

PS how do you program your lights to know what time sunset/sunrise is?
              It's actually part of the routine.

I can't figure out how to control set up alexa routines from the desktop, but from the phone app, you'd just go to

Alexa
              hit the pancake button
              choose routines
              hit + to add a routine
              add routine's name, then next
              "when this happens"
              click "schedule"
              then you can either click on "at time", or "sunrise" or "sunset"

if you choose sunrise or sunset, you can actually add or decrease the trigger time relative to sunset (I like to do mine 15 min after sunrise and 15 before sunset just to allow for weather conditions)
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK I got the light sockets in and now my driveway lights come on 1/2 hour after sunset and turn off at sunrise.

Comment

OK I got the light sockets in and now my driveway lights come on 1/2 hour after sunset and turn off at sunrise.

EGGcellent -- I saw something where there was a skill you could enable to even do it by weather - if it was prematurely dark and cloudy that day, prior to sunset... but I can't seem to find it anymore.

But, no biggie - I love not ever having to worry about the outside lights being on or off inappropriately.

Comment

EGGcellent -- I saw something where there was a skill you could enable to even do it by weather - if it was prematurely dark and cloudy that day, prior to sunset... but I can't seem to find it anymore.

But, no biggie - I love not ever having to worry about the outside lights being on or off inappropriately.
                    There is an option called "weather" in the list of actions in the routines, but it just says "Alexa will report the weather" when you pick it.
                    You could probably do it using IFTTT, but I am not really worried about that. I mostly want the lights on as a deterrent so any crooks will think twice since the house is lit up at night. I don't think they would be out skulking around in the day if it were pouring down rain.

Comment

So I wonder if Alexa is reporting on us to the Democrats so they can re-educate us conservatives?

Alexa: Sparko has been watching Fox News and has mentioned Trump favorably over a dozen times.

Comment

There is an option called "weather" in the list of actions in the routines, but it just says "Alexa will report the weather" when you pick it.
                        You could probably do it using IFTTT, but I am not really worried about that. I mostly want the lights on as a deterrent so any crooks will think twice since the house is lit up at night. I don't think they would be out skulking around in the day if it were pouring down rain.
                        I did get bold and added a couple 3-way DIMMABLE switches to my living room and bedroom.

(Always wondered why it's called 3-way when it's only 2 switches)

Anyway, I can tell Alexa "Living Room 10%" and those huge aircraft landing lights I have in my living room will give very decent lighting without blinding us.

Same with the dining room's chandelier -- mood lighting or "I can't see my food!!!!"

Comment

I did get bold and added a couple 3-way DIMMABLE switches to my living room and bedroom.

(Always wondered why it's called 3-way when it's only 2 switches)

Anyway, I can tell Alexa "Living Room 10%" and those huge aircraft landing lights I have in my living room will give very decent lighting without blinding us.

Same with the dining room's chandelier -- mood lighting or "I can't see my food!!!!"
                          Yeah I have a few of those smart bulbs that can be dimmed and can change color. I usually have the living room lamp set to 50% soft white. It's crazy looking at my router's device list, 2 echos, 1 echo show, a ring doorbell, several smart bulbs, a smart socket, and now three light sockets.

Comment

Yeah I have a few of those smart bulbs that can be dimmed and can change color. I usually have the living room lamp set to 50% soft white. It's crazy looking at my router's device list, 2 echos, 1 echo show, a ring doorbell, several smart bulbs, a smart socket, and now three light sockets.
                            OK, so I named the master bedroom main lights "master main", but my wife keeps forgetting and saying "alexa, turn on master".

So I used that "fun with alexa" thing where you can program your own response..... here's how it goes....

Wife: Alexa, turn on Master
                            Alexa: There is only one Master and His name is Jesus Christ

Gets her every time!

Comment

Only one thing to use Alexa for

Comment

Here's the voice of Alexa responding to a scammer

Comment