Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liar and Phony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Interesting. I don't believe I've ever heard "full rein." Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.
    I have heard, actually read, that term. It was in post #12 above.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Interesting. I don't believe I've ever heard "full rein." Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.
      I think it might be a regional thing. I hear expressions in East Texas that I don't hear in my part of Texas, and I hear expressions in Ohio when I was visiting my Dad that I don't hear here.

In either case, as I'm guessing you know, regarding horses, it simply means not giving any direction whatsoever to the horse - he feels nothing on the other end of the reins - no tugging one way or another or pulling back to slow or stop.

One of my favorite expressions in East Texas, which I haven't heard anywhere else, was the way they used "carry".

"Hey, after work, will you carry me over to the Chevy Dealer to pick up my car?" Obviously means "give me a ride".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I think it might be a regional thing. I hear expressions in East Texas that I don't hear in my part of Texas, and I hear expressions in Ohio when I was visiting my Dad that I don't hear here.

In either case, as I'm guessing you know, regarding horses, it simply means not giving any direction whatsoever to the horse - he feels nothing on the other end of the reins - no tugging one way or another or pulling back to slow or stop.

One of my favorite expressions in East Texas, which I haven't heard anywhere else, was the way they used "carry".

"Hey, after work, will you carry me over to the Chevy Dealer to pick up my car?" Obviously means "give me a ride".
        Ah - so it doesn't mean so overworked that he/she (PC reigns) is unable to walk.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I have heard, actually read, that term. It was in post #12 above.
          Well, yes. I have seen the term (as it turns out, in the very post you mentioned) - seeing isn't hearing, but.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Well, yes. I have seen the term (as it turns out, in the very post you mentioned) - seeing isn't hearing, but.
            How dare you call Jed a but!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
              aka new favorite Fake News author for libs

Sad!
              Originally posted by JimL View Post
              And yet the idiot in the White House gave him full riegn.

I believe you meant "reign[.]"
              Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
              I suppose you beat me to it this time.
              Originally posted by Faber View Post
              Actually, I think he meant "rein[.]"
              Now that the rein is sorted [—] "free" would be the term used here, rather than "full."
              Yes, you are correct, Faber and tabbito. The proper phrase is ‘give free reign’. I was not being as attentive as I ought to have been.
              For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Yes, you are correct, Faber and tabbito. The proper phrase is ‘give free reign’. I was not being as attentive as I ought to have been.
                If that's the case, then I was right!

I believe you meant "reign".

Comment

I tend to put punctuation marks within quotation marks only when they are part of the quote. Maybe 'm wrong on that.

I really need to start proofreading my posts.
                  Last edited by Faber; 01-08-2018, 06:36 PM.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Actually, I tend to put punctuation marks within quotation marks only when they are part of the quote. Maybe 'm wrong on that.
                    I never have figured that out, cause I've been told different methods by different English teachers. I just go with the flow.

Comment

bb28f6_600d24e33756443faab6aff2eeab881c.jpg

Comment

I tend to put punctuation marks within quotation marks only when they are part of the quote. Maybe 'm wrong on that.

I really need to start proofreading my posts.
                        In British grammar, they're always outside. In American grammar, periods and commas are inside; others are outside.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yes, you are correct, Faber and tabbito. The proper phrase is ‘give free reign’ [sic]. I was not being as attentive as I ought to have been.
                          Correction: ‘give free rein’. I was certain I had it spelt correctly (R-E-I-N), but evidently confused myself. I concede my fallibility and lack of proper attentiveness twice in this thread.
                          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Is your spell-correct switched on? I started using Google Chrome recently and I think I caught it changing one of my words. How DARE it!
                            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              And yet the idiot in the White House gave him full riegn.
                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              FWIU it was mostly Bannon who let him in and he only actually interviewed a couple of people.
                              This seems to be confirmed by Wolff when he admitted to CBS This Morning host Norah O’Donnell that he never actually spoke to any members of Trump's cabinet or even VP Mike Pence -- even though his book is peppered with supposed quotes from cabinet members.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                                It’s sadder that Trump’s judgment is so bad, he allowed the man to write a book about his administration. A president should be swifter than that.
                                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                What do you propose Trump should have done to stop him or anyone else from writing a book about his Administration?
                                Still curious as to what measures whag would propose that Trump should have taken to prevent someone from writing a book about him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment