Thread: Why wait?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    easy piggy.
    Not stressing, pirate - just not sure where you got the idea.
    You said you had to work at being saved, that it was a process.
    Eh, work at living out my faith, not at being saved. My works don't save me; they're just evidence I'm on the right path.
    I just wanted to know how you could know when you were far enough along to go to heaven when you die, or is it "as long as you keep working at it you will get to heaven"?
    The latter. It's not like the repentant thief crucified with Christ had much chance to progress very far.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Not stressing, pirate - just not sure where you got the idea.

Eh, work at living out my faith, not at being saved. My works don't save me; they're just evidence I'm on the right path.

The latter. It's not like the repentant thief crucified with Christ had much chance to progress very far.
    OK. That was what I was trying to clear up.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Source: Philippians 2:12

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,

© Copyright Original Source

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Source: Philippians 2:12

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,

© Copyright Original Source

Yes, work it out in your every day life. You have to have salvation before you can work it out in you life's walk.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Yes, work it out in your every day life. You have to have salvation before you can work it out in you life's walk.
    I wouldn't say that. If we already had it, and nothing, neither blasphemy, carnal sin or abandoment of the mission could ever lose us our salvation, why the need to work it out with fear and trembling? Fear implies the coming of the terrible judge, and us having something to fear. If your salvation is possessed, certain, knowable and indestructible, then have no fear, sin, or not, you'll get to Heaven either way right?

The idea that we can't fall away from true faith never sat well with me. It always seemed an excuse of the most lukewarm milquetoast worldly Christians (of which I am certain you are NOT one of). It seems obvious to me that this happens all the time, even to Christian peers we respected. It seems we have to make an... effort, choice, will... decision (not sure what to call it), enabled, fuelled and made possible with God's Grace, to stay Christian. Not just in belief, but also in act and in spirit.

Like OneBadPig, I expect to be saved if I stay the course, which I can only do if I receive God's grace which I have to ask for every day.

God have mercy on me a sinner.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Leonhard, you are allowed to disagree with my understanding, but I still see it the same way.

I disagree with your evaluation of the idea of the security of salvation as well. I make an effort, with trepidation, because of my desire to please Him, not to avoid falling away. He has assured me that nothing can make me fall away.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?