Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

We are terrible house sitters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Put a kangaroo in Antarctica and see how long it lasts!!!
    Duh! Antarctica is not in Texas!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Put a kangaroo in Antarctica and see how long it lasts!!!
      Put a human in Antarctica with no warm clothes or survival gear and the same thing would happen.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Put a human in Antarctica with no warm clothes or survival gear and the same thing would happen.
        I volunteer Tassman!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I volunteer Tassman!
          Do you want him to find out which worldview is true the hard way?

Comment

Duh! Antarctica is not in Texas!
            Exactly!

Comment

Exactly!
              A kangaroo could be kept at a zoo in Texas, but Antarctica does not have zoos. Do any humans live in Antarctica on a permanent basis? I know scientists hang out down there for a few months, but they would need to leave for winter.

Comment

A kangaroo could be kept at a zoo in Texas, but Antarctica does not have zoos. Do any humans live in Antarctica on a permanent basis? I know scientists hang out down there for a few months, but they would need to leave for winter.
                A subset of them overwinter.
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                  A subset of them overwinter.
                  How do they survive? Do they have Antarctic winter proof heaters? Plenty of supplies? What happens if they have an emergency?

Comment

How do they survive? Do they have Antarctic winter proof heaters? Plenty of supplies? What happens if they have an emergency?
                    Reminds me of an episode of House.

Yes, they have year-round research labs there.

Comment

But definitely NO kangaroos.

Comment

The live under a dome that is marginally heated and there are buildings inside the dome that IIRC are heated to above freezing. I don't think it is particularly comfortable, but they do stay there the entire winter.

As for what to do, there have been cases in the news of scientists getting sick or learning they have cancer and being unable to get out until spring. AFAIK, Nothing goes in or out during winter.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          The live under a dome that is marginally heated and there are buildings inside the dome that IIRC are heated to above freezing. I don't think it is particularly comfortable, but they do stay there the entire winter.

As for what to do, there have been cases in the news of scientists getting sick or learning they have cancer and being unable to get out until spring. AFAIK, Nothing goes in or out during winter.

Jim
                          And that was pretty much the story line - and the urgency - of the episode mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                            It was like that, but now they have a new station.
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amunds...h_Pole_Station
                            Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                              It was like that, but now they have a new station.
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amunds...h_Pole_Station
                              A nice story on what it takes to run an IT system at the South Pole:
                              https://arstechnica.com/features/201...e-data-center/
                              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                                A nice story on what it takes to run an IT system at the South Pole:
                                https://arstechnica.com/features/201...e-data-center/
                                Wow, I'm a data center kinda guy, and it never even occurred to me you'd have to HEAT a data center!

Good article!

Comment