Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Astronaut John Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astronaut John Young

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...106-story.html

Surprised no one posted this yet.

He was a local, went to the same elementary school Mrs H later went to.

It's sad to see Astronauts die. And to see that NASA has just been piddling around for decades.

I saw a Gemini capsule at our local museum once. It was teeny and all of the wiring was done by hand. No circuit boards. Man was it small. You could probably fit it in the back of a large pickup truck. The people who went up in these things were very brave.

Comment

He flew in a Gemini capsule and the Shuttle. Impressive feats. Those Gemini capsules were so small "you wore them" as one of the astronauts said.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      It's sad to see Astronauts die. And to see that NASA has just been piddling around for decades.
      Blame their budget, which has been shrinking forever. And Nixon for saddling them with the Space Shuttle project, underfunding it and then cancelling the huge Mars mission it was built to build.

Obama thankfully killed the Shuttle and opened COTS, which has given us SpaceX and soon Blue Origin, with their development of reusesable launchers.

Now Trump's okayed the moon station plans, so things should move ahead. I just wish NASA ditched that huge rocket they're developing and more openly cooporated with SpaceX and Blue Origin on developing Super Heavy Class rockets.

Comment

I saw a Gemini capsule at our local museum once. It was teeny and all of the wiring was done by hand. No circuit boards. Man was it small. You could probably fit it in the back of a large pickup truck. The people who went up in these things were very brave.
        Saw one at the Smithsonian once. Didn't somebody make a comment about those things being built by the lowest bidder? I think it was either Alan Shepard or John Glenn.
        When I Survey....

Comment

It's sad to see Astronauts die.
          I got to work years ago with Astronaut Deke Slayton when he was retiring from NASA, and had come up with a concept for mobile computer labs. Essentially, they were big Winnebagos outfitted with 8 to 12 computer stations for disadvantaged kids in the Houston schools. He hired a tutor and a driver for each one mobile lab. I was his "network guy", and we used PC Clones, some of which I built.

The neatest thing about that was that, during the day while we were installing equipment, some of his astronaut buddies would stop by to chat, and they treated me just like one of the gang, telling their fighter pilot stories (Slayton was a WWII Bomber pilot) and reliving "the good old days". Gus Grissom, Alan Shepherd and John Young were some of his most frequent visitors.

Deke was diagnosed with a brain tumor in '92, and passed away in '93 before we officially launched his "fleet" of mobile computer labs.

If memory serves, Deke (who only flew one space mission) was the guy who was in charge of recruiting crews for space flights, including the first man to walk on the moon.

I loved this stuff!!!!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
            Saw one at the Smithsonian once. Didn't somebody make a comment about those things being built by the lowest bidder? I think it was either Alan Shepard or John Glenn.
            ‘I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of 2 million parts — all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.’
            Attributed to John Glenn
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I got to work years ago with Astronaut Deke Slayton when he was retiring from NASA, and had come up with a concept for mobile computer labs. Essentially, they were big Winnebagos outfitted with 8 to 12 computer stations for disadvantaged kids in the Houston schools. He hired a tutor and a driver for each one mobile lab. I was his "network guy", and we used PC Clones, some of which I built.

The neatest thing about that was that, during the day while we were installing equipment, some of his astronaut buddies would stop by to chat, and they treated me just like one of the gang, telling their fighter pilot stories (Slayton was a WWII Bomber pilot) and reliving "the good old days". Gus Grissom, Alan Shepherd and John Young were some of his most frequent visitors.

Deke was diagnosed with a brain tumor in '92, and passed away in '93 before we officially launched his "fleet" of mobile computer labs.

If memory serves, Deke (who only flew one space mission) was the guy who was in charge of recruiting crews for space flights, including the first man to walk on the moon.

I loved this stuff!!!!
              I am friends with the cousin of Astronaut Stuart Roosa (died in the 90's). Apollo 14 with Shepard and Mitchell. Kinda makes you realize how small the world really is.

Comment

Since it just came up, I'm wondering if he ever ate the "astronaut ice cream".

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X